Costa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
They have them there to keep you there. If you were to go out to buy a coffee, you might not return.
I only went in as it was peeing down and i needed shelter from the rain. I'm not into losing more money than you make gambling. Those places always seem to have big ornaments in the window. I've always wondered why that is! One thing i noticed was how warm it was in the place. To me a warm place on a cold wet day is inviting. I bet the 'pie and peas' were cheap as well. Are they taking advantage of folk,or are they providing a service,albeit obviously making a profit,which is the point of a business?

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I only went in as it was peeing down and i needed shelter from the rain. I'm not into losing more money than you make gambling. Those places always seem to have big ornaments in the window. I wonder why that is? One thing i noticed was how warm it was in the place. To me a warm place on a cold wet day is inviting. I bet the 'pie and peas' were cheap as well. Are they taking advantage of folk, or are they providing a service?
The coffee/tea is usually free, the food is generally a lot cheaper than the same from a takeaway.

Me, I'd say they were taking advantage of you.

They can't, as far as I'm aware, allow minors to see what is going on through the windows. Normally very large windows. What better way to fill that space than with the one large object, usually unconnected to what is going on inside.

mustang1

Legendary Member
But it tells the world you're upwardly mobile. Just need a leather Filofax iPad/Laptop to go with it.

Where do those people who have one coffee and then spend half a day at Costa working on their book/website/whatever go when Costa (et al) is closed?

Globalti

Legendary Member
We stopped using Starbucks after seeing the filthy condition of their place in Manchester's St Ann's Square. That's what happens when a place is staffed and managed by kids. It has closed down now, not surprisingly.

The cardboard coffee cup is, as somebody else pointed out earlier in this thread, a badge that says "I'm time poor and cash rich". Just needs a Bluetooth headset connected to the mobile to underline your importance and your need to be connected.

Where do those people who have one coffee and then spend half a day at Costa working on their book/website/whatever go when Costa (et al) is closed?
I feel extremely seen by that comment :okay: I used to do all my remote working in a local non-mega-chain coffee shop.
Home was too full of distractions, and the coffee shop's wifi was terrible so no social medias or cycling forums or emailing colleagues to distract me.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I feel extremely seen by that comment :okay: I used to do all my remote working in a local non-mega-chain coffee shop.
Home was too full of distractions, and the coffee shop's wifi was terrible so no social medias or cycling forums or emailing colleagues to distract me.
I find every place distracting. Home has distractions. Coffee shop has distractions. I tried at the park a few times but you guessed it, too many distractions! (Sssh actually I think it's just me).

D

Deleted member 26715

Aeropress.
If only it wasn't thick end of £30 for a few pieces of plastic,

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Unfortunately incorrectly

Amazon
Aeropress themselves
It's usually £24.99 - assume a C19 premium has been applied.

Anyhow, are we going to have a pissing contest about £2.99 - my general point remains. It makes a better cup of coffee for way cheaper, without waiting and paying, oh wait, about £2.99 for a mega-pressa-latte-deluxe.

You'll gather I use one in the office ^_^

D

Deleted member 26715

It's usually £24.99 - assume a C19 premium has been applied.

Anyhow, are we going to have a pissing contest about £2.99 - my general point remains. It makes a better cup of coffee for way cheaper, without waiting and paying, oh wait, about £2.99 for a mega-pressa-latte-deluxe.

You'll gather I use one in the office ^_^
Well strangely I was intrigued & was considering purchasing one, I use a common Morrison's £5.99 Cafetière however as you have now pointed out their obvious profiteering tactics, I shall continue as normal.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I think, by and large, the C19 premium is kosher by the way - I note that despite the massive increase in business the supermarkets will make no more money y-o-y, and Amazon will be making a great deal less money, it is forecast.

Your call though - it's a way better cup of coffee than the cafetiere I was using previously (and I was rather sniffy about them too, BTW).

stephec

Legendary Member
I only ever drink espresso and for me Costa's the best of the chains, I use there beans in my bean to cup machine at home as well sometimes.

Top Bottom