Costa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Well strangely I was intrigued & was considering purchasing one, I use a common Morrison's £5.99 Cafetière however as you have now pointed out their obvious profiteering tactics, I shall continue as normal.
They are significantly better than a cafetiere and much more robust too. I've just replaced one after 5 years with it having made 5-7 coffees daily for that time. It succeeded a cafetiere which lasted less than a month before the plunger started fraying and then the glass broke when trying to wash it in a busy kitchen.

They really are worth the money and the coffee quality is excellent.

Edit: they are better in certain circumstances I should have said, workplaces for example and you can take them camping too.

Edit:

screenman

Legendary Member
I only ever drink espresso and for me Costa's the best of the chains, I use there beans in my bean to cup machine at home as well sometimes.

How dare you be different.

D

Deleted member 26715

I only ever drink espresso and for me Costa's the best of the chains, I use there beans in my bean to cup machine at home as well sometimes.
If i'm buying from an outlet I prefer Cafe Nero, but I wouldn't queue to get any of them other than a couple of minutes

vickster

Legendary Member
My choice of takeaway coffees is usually a filter coffee from Pret A Manger (99p) followed by a latte at Nero’s (£3.10) or premium filter coffee from Costa (1.59). Starbucks is just rank and sod an Americano when it is the same thing as a filter coffee, just three times the price at £3+! My favourite coffee though Is from lanes espresso in Leeds just outside the train station once you get past the annoying artisan milk art thing they do that take too long!
Take your own cup and the Pret filter is 49p (and better for environment :okay:)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Where do those people who have one coffee and then spend half a day at Costa working on their book/website/whatever go when Costa (et al) is closed?

I once read someone say he gets really good internet for £2 a day and the provider throws in a free coffee and heating.

Take your own cup and the Pret filter is 49p (and better for environment :okay:)
Yep, that’s why I love it. Costa is a messily 25p. Actually quite fond of Pret as all the waste food goes to homeless shelters or Foodbank places, not so keen on their tax strategy though!

Drago

Legendary Member
As a nut allergy sufferer I'm not so keep on Pret's diligence to its customers re ingredient labelling. It took the death of one of their customers before they even took this slightly seriously, so they on the list of companies that I refuse to use for similar "profit before lives" attitudes, along with VW group and Apple.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

As a nut allergy sufferer I'm not so keep on Pret's diligence to its customers re ingredient labelling. It took the death of one of their customers before they even took this slightly seriously, so they on the list of companies that I refuse to use for similar "profit before lives" attitudes, along with VW group and Apple.
That must be difficult living in a country with the present Government.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Drago displays a weakness shocker :ohmy:

Still, even Superman had his Kryptonite, I suppose ^_^

stephec

Legendary Member
Their slight over-roasting of the beans pays dividends here, I suppose. Happy Donkey Italian blend for your B2C machine, I suggest - cheap, excellent.
I've never heard of them but will have a look thanks. I've got quite a few packs of Costa at the moment though as Iceland had them on offer.

Best deal I ever get on beans though is when I visit a roasters for work, they rent machines and sell beans to cafes, both small independents and supermarkets, it's good stuff and as I leave my contact always drops me about 4kg of their best beans, keeps me going for a few months. 😊

postman

Legendary Member
... and also one of the conman’s “tools of choice” when trying to gain entrance to offices in the city.

Walk into the foyer, carrying 2 large coffees:

1. You’ve got 2, so you’re obviously meeting someone. You’re supposed to be here. People don’t see a stranger, they see someone who’s on their way to a meeting.
2. Hold them together, in front of your chest, cos that’s how you carry 2 large coffees. Quite convenient that it hides your fake ID badge, which is on a lanyard round your neck.
3. You’re carrying 2 large coffees. People will hold doors open without you even asking....

4. And if you do get challenged, accidentally spill the coffee over them and make your exit....
Brilliant great start to your next novel.Put me down for a copy.I have nearly finished my latest Michael Connelly one.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Brilliant great start to your next novel.Put me down for a copy.I have nearly finished my latest Michael Connelly one.

We got an Ian Flemming right here i think

As for Costa/Starbucks - No. Im not a fan of paying over £3 for a small cup of coffee when i can make about 16 cups for the same price at home.

Though im not from the same circle of clientele that they cater to. £3 towards an alcoholic beverage on the other hand.... :whistle::whistle::thumbsup:

Last edited:

bruce1530

Guru
I have an acquaintance who’s a security consultant, and one of the things he does is tries to blag his way in to the MDs office using tricks like this.

He says the “two coffees” trick is his second best tool. The most effective one is a wheelchair. Rock up at a (shared) city office in one, look smart and confident, and people hold doors open.

Top Bottom