Could I have damaged my alloy frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
The other day I had to brake extremely hard to avoid hitting a small boy who ran into the road in front of me, fortunately I was riding extremely slow at the time. I braked so hard that the rear wheel was up in the air to an angle of perhaps 45 degrees before coming down (with me still in the saddle) and hitting the road at an angle. This caused a buckled wheel and also forced it out of alignment. My LBS is fairly confident that the alloy frame is OK, but it did hit the road very hard and my 14 stone can't have helped matters. I can see no marks anywhere but I am wondering if I could have problems in the future, I would be grateful for any thoughts.

ps Small boy is OK

snailracer

Über Member
Bicycle wheels are flimsy things when pushed sideways, the advantage of this is that the wheel absorbs the damage and not the frame, so I would concur with your LBS's advice.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Bike frames are MUCH stronger than you would think. Stop worrying and get on with riding it. Just take your hands off the bars to check that it still goes in a straight line, which means it's not bent.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Many thanks for your input guys, the wheel has been fixed and everything else is OK. Tomorrow morning we set out to tour around the old North Riding of Yorkshire so we are looking forward to a good weekend.
We are hoping to do about 20 miles the pint.
Folk singer.jpg

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I braked so hard the other day to avoid an accident I flipped the bike unclipped ended up standing in the road and the bike landed upside down on the road behind me:eek: . Apart from scuffs on the tops of the levers the bike seems fine.

Top Bottom