Could/should I aim for it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rach1

Previously known as wrinkly
Wondered if I could run this past you experienced cyclists?
Just back into cycling regularly. Only doing short rides up to 6 miles on fairly level going. Female early 60's. Never been very sporty but always enjoyed a cycle.
More time on my hands now and thinking about joining local ladies cycling group.
Considering doing a sponsored fundraising ride in September. It would be 44 miles and offers mechanical support and breaks/feeds every 10 miles.
I think I could probably do it and it would really give me something to aim for. That really excites me.
However I sometimes wonder as I never have been an avid sports person if maybe it's just wishful thinking. Ultimately I guess I am a bit worried I will be the worse of it.
I have a hybrid bike which was got for leisure cycling, would it be good enough for that length of ride? How far would I need my practice runs to be to be sure I was properly prepared for it.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Plenty of time for you to build up to 44 miles.

A hybrid will be fine over that distance

Slowly build up the distance, once you get to doing 20 mile rides you'll be fine at 44, it will just take longer.

Good luck and go for it.

snorri

Legendary Member
I think I could probably do it and it would really give me something to aim for. That really excites me.
However I sometimes wonder as I never have been an avid sports person if maybe it's just wishful thinking. Ultimately I guess I am a bit worried I will be the worse of it.
I think you could do it too!
Go at your own pace, enjoy the scenery, and don't miss any one of the cake stops every 10 miles:biggrin:.
You might see some of these "avid sports persons" on the day who regard every cycle run as a race, just ignore them and enjoy yourself^_^.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
As said in the previous replies, if you have concerns, build up the distance.
At the moment 6 to 44 may seem a huge leap, so break down your planned progression into smaller chunks. (Say) 6 - 10 miles month 1; 11 - 20 month 2; 21 - 30 month 3 etc. That way the smaller number is mentally easier to handle. You may find that after a few rides if you comfortably handle the distances, your schedule can be revisited so that your progression is better than planned.

tom73

Guru
Go for it build up the miles nice and steady. Have rest day’s if you do too much too soon your badly will soon let you know.
You’ve plenty of time to build up to it. Once you’ve done a few 20 / 30 mile rides 44 will be nothing.

Good luck :smile:

Top Bottom