Could/should I aim for it?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Rach1, 11 Jan 2019.

1. Rach1

Rach1 Previously known as wrinkly

Wondered if I could run this past you experienced cyclists?
    Just back into cycling regularly. Only doing short rides up to 6 miles on fairly level going. Female early 60's. Never been very sporty but always enjoyed a cycle.
    More time on my hands now and thinking about joining local ladies cycling group.
    Considering doing a sponsored fundraising ride in September. It would be 44 miles and offers mechanical support and breaks/feeds every 10 miles.
    I think I could probably do it and it would really give me something to aim for. That really excites me.
    However I sometimes wonder as I never have been an avid sports person if maybe it's just wishful thinking. Ultimately I guess I am a bit worried I will be the worse of it.
    I have a hybrid bike which was got for leisure cycling, would it be good enough for that length of ride? How far would I need my practice runs to be to be sure I was properly prepared for it.

2. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

Plenty of time for you to build up to 44 miles.

A hybrid will be fine over that distance

Slowly build up the distance, once you get to doing 20 mile rides you'll be fine at 44, it will just take longer.

Good luck and go for it.

derrick, Rach1 and BrumJim like this.
  3. phantasmagoriana

phantasmagoriana Über Member

Is it Pedal for Scotland? If so, you'll be absolutely fine - loads of people with little (or no!) cycling experience do it every year on all manner of bikes, and it's a pretty flat route.

Assuming you are in Scotland, have a look at the Belles on Bikes groups. @Pat "5mph" might be able to point you in the direction of your local one!

Edwardoka, Slick, Rach1 and 2 others like this.
  4. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

The jump from six to forty four miles is nothing in the time you've got to prepare. If you cycled three times a week and gradually upped the miles you could do that distance in a month.

Go for it.

5. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

My wife and her friends did a 50-mile Edinburgh to Glasgow ride and she'd previously only ridden about 6 miles maximum every few months just for a bit of fresh air. Go for it, you'll cope nae bother!

Rach1, classic33 and Pat "5mph" like this.
  6. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

I think you could do it too!
    Go at your own pace, enjoy the scenery, and don't miss any one of the cake stops every 10 miles:biggrin:.
    You might see some of these "avid sports persons" on the day who regard every cycle run as a race, just ignore them and enjoy yourself^_^.

Rach1, classic33 and Pat "5mph" like this.
  7. Bazzer

Bazzer Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

As said in the previous replies, if you have concerns, build up the distance.
    At the moment 6 to 44 may seem a huge leap, so break down your planned progression into smaller chunks. (Say) 6 - 10 miles month 1; 11 - 20 month 2; 21 - 30 month 3 etc. That way the smaller number is mentally easier to handle. You may find that after a few rides if you comfortably handle the distances, your schedule can be revisited so that your progression is better than planned.

Rach1 likes this.
  8. lane

lane Senior Member

Rach1 and glasgowcyclist like this.
  9. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit Ribbit

of course you can

Rach1 likes this.
  10. Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers Kilometre nibbler

Yes sure. No problems at all. If you enjoy riding just do more of it.

Rach1 likes this.
  11. tom73

tom73 Über Member

Go for it build up the miles nice and steady. Have rest day’s if you do too much too soon your badly will soon let you know.
    You’ve plenty of time to build up to it. Once you’ve done a few 20 / 30 mile rides 44 will be nothing.

Good luck :smile:

Rach1 likes this.
  12. Milzy

Milzy Veteran

I hope you do it. It would be a great achievement & you’d do yourself proud.

raleighnut and Rach1 like this.
  13. I'm sure you will be able to work up to that distance, good luck and enjoy the experience

Rach1 likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Rach1

Rach1 Previously known as wrinkly

Goodness what a lovely supportive bunch you are. It is indeed Pedal for Scotland. I think I may be about to meet Pat "5mph" tomorrow. :okay:
    Yes I will aim for it and actually do think I could do it.

15. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

Absolutely, go for it.

Rach1 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice