Could/should I aim for it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There are a few things you may not realise:

1 - The human body reacts very fast to stress, meaning that if you increase your mileage you will grow fitter and stronger very quickly. Of course you need to take care over nutrition while your body is building extra muscle so don't underestimate the importance of fats and protein.

2 - Longer periods in the saddle mean bike fit becomes more critical. Get a bike fit session or at least get an experienced cyclist to check out your position.

3 - Appropriate clothing and a well-maintained bike make a big difference; this means not bumbling along with a loose jacket open like a parachute (especially if it's windy) and no flappy clothing or clothing that makes you sweat. Start out cool and warm into the ride. What are you wearing on your lower half? Padded cycling shorts?

A well-lubricated chain, properly adjusted hubs and brakes and road tyres (not knobbly) at the right pressures make a big difference.

If you feel you lack experience, a more experienced buddy will give you good advice on clothing, feeding, riding, bike setup and route selection.

OP
OP
Rach1

Rach1

Previously known as wrinkly
Thanks for useful tips Globalti.
Bike was bought from really good Lbs. They spent some considerable time fitting the bike to me. I wouldn't have went for this size which seemed too big. However it is really comfortable and although only doing short distances I dismount with no sore neck or knees as with last bike.
Bike will get checked over again in a few weeks, this is standard for shop.
Process of joining local bike group where I will put out feelers for bike maintenance course. Actually seeing it being done will be more helpful than watching videos.
Cycling shorts :blush: not sure I will feel comfortable in those with my mature chunky shape! Thinking a suitable stretchy trouser with padded shorts underneath. Tyres are road tyres and quite a difference from the chunky ones I previously used.

Building up very slowly and starting to look for hills.
:smile:

The year after I'd done London to Brighton, I did a basic bike maintenance course through a local bike co-op, BikeSpace, in Plymouth. This cemented what little I knew, and added a great deal more. See if you can access something similar up your way, it's well worth it. I even got certificates!
I forgot to add that because I'm ancient and of low income, this was completely free! It even included a new bike - for free! So it really is worth checking out before this sort of thing inevitably disappears.

nickAKA

Über Member
Thanks for useful tips Globalti.
Bike was bought from really good Lbs. They spent some considerable time fitting the bike to me. I wouldn't have went for this size which seemed too big. However it is really comfortable and although only doing short distances I dismount with no sore neck or knees as with last bike.
Bike will get checked over again in a few weeks, this is standard for shop.
Process of joining local bike group where I will put out feelers for bike maintenance course. Actually seeing it being done will be more helpful than watching videos.
Cycling shorts :blush: not sure I will feel comfortable in those with my mature chunky shape! Thinking a suitable stretchy trouser with padded shorts underneath. Tyres are road tyres and quite a difference from the chunky ones I previously used.

Building up very slowly and starting to look for hills.

"Endura Humvee" are well regarded shorts with an outer short and a padded liner short if you don't feel comfortable in lycra initially, but trust me on this - once you've spent enough time around other cyclists you'll appreciate that NOBODY CARES what their or anyone else's backside/gut looks like in lycra, it's all about the trip...

rugby bloke

Veteran
"Endura Humvee" are well regarded shorts with an outer short and a padded liner short if you don't feel comfortable in lycra initially, but trust me on this - once you've spent enough time around other cyclists you'll appreciate that NOBODY CARES what their or anyone else's backside/gut looks like in lycra, it's all about the trip...
Definitely agree with this. When I started wearing padded lycra shorts I was so embarrassed I used to wear sports shorts over the top. After a while I also realized that non one cares.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes comfort is far more important than looks. Have you got a good saddle? Not a big squidgy padded one, I hope? That's a common beginner mistake.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Go for it :bicycle:

No not squidgy, seems very narrow but I do have a gel pad on it!!:rolleyes: Is that a similar beginner mistake?

I ride on a Gel saddle and have done for years, but I also use a Brooks on my main bike.

If you are enjoying the ride, anything is fine, but if you are putting off riding because it is uncomfortable, perhaps investigate why.

My Beautiful Wife uses a saddle like a sofa...

Globalti

Legendary Member
In explanation, a squidgy saddle or a gel cover may feel comfortable over a short distance but the real answer is to find a saddle that suits the shape of your bottom and then get it set up correctly. This means the right height, angle and distance from the bars. There is lots online about getting these adjustments right but again, an experienced eye can help you. Good saddles are the Charge Spoon and the women's version, Charge Ladle but there are dozens to try. You need to learn how to make tiny adjustments so that you can try them while out riding.

Once you've got the right saddle, set up right, you will want to discard the padded cover. Deep padding allows your sit bones to sink in and transfers the load to soft tissue as well as making you hot and sweaty, ideal conditions for chafing and bacterial growth. Plus it looks naff and you need to start considering yourself a smartly turned out cyclist.

As your mileages increase your bottom will get accustomed to the saddle and one day you'll realise that it's actually no longer bothering you.

You can pair that saddle with some shorts which have a pad. Originally the purpose of the pad was to prevent the shorts from bunching up and my most comfortable pad ever was one made from just a dense stiffish felt material but sadly that wore out and nowadays you can only buy shorts with.... more squidgy padding. Once again there's quite a variety of shorts pads and it might be some time before you find one that really suits you. Affordable shorts can be found at Decathlon, sometimes at Aldi and online at Wiggle whose dhb brand is excellent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom