Could/should I aim for it?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Rach1, 11 Jan 2019.

1. DCBassman

DCBassman Basses or Bikes? Hmmm...

Yup, did my first ever long ride, London to Brightonm 55 miles, at 64. Using my unmodified Trek 800 sport, old, heavy, steel. Prepared over a similar timescale, and although certainly hard work, I wasn't last, by several 10s of 1000s!

Rach1 and Pat "5mph" like this.
  2. Mrs M

Mrs M Veteran

You can do it!, just build things up then go for it :smile:

Rach1, Slick and DCBassman like this.
  3. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

Just do it. But get a training program and work it. Plan the work and work the plan.

Rach1 and DCBassman like this.
  4. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

Of course you can do it!
    I did PfS at 49, maximum distance I had cycled before was 20 flat miles, I did it on a 5 speed bike.
    I signed up last minute thinking "I could do this", but in hindsight I should have done more gradual hills forehand, I was knackered for a week after :laugh:

5. LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells Reinvented for 2019 - Formerly RealLeeHimself

Go for it! Increase your miles with each ride, even if only one mile extra each ride. Ride often. You’ll get there and the satisfaction from completing the 44 miles will be immense.

6. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

If by tomorrow you mean Saturday the 12/01/19, no, you're not meeting me, I haven't got meetings or rides tomorrow :laugh:

Rach1 likes this.
  7. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

Go for it. You've plenty of time to prepare.
    When I started cycling again I was really chuffed to do a 6 mile ride but within weeks I was doing 20-25 miles at a time.

With those breaks, just think about it as four 10-mile rides - easy! :okay:

Rach1, Spiderweb, tom73 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Cuchilo

Cuchilo Prize winning member X2

You're in good hands with Pat , shes lovely :hugs:
    Club wise , i was hmmmmm about them but there are good and bad , you just need to find the right one and you make some great mates .
    There is a fella from my club that was part of the team TT 100 mile record the year i was born 1973 . He's 81 now and i still bump into him when out riding so i change what i am doing to ride with him . He keeps telling me i wont get fit riding with him but it doesn't matter . Hes a team mate and a nice fella .:okay:

9. rogerzilla

rogerzilla Veteran

No problem. My normal commute is only 5 miles each way but one July I went and rode the Dunwich Dynamo (113 miles) with absolutely no other training except that commute. Saddle soreness is your biggest enemy, followed by poor bike setup.

10. alicat

alicat Guru

You can do it. Build up to it and then the cake stops will be all the incentive you need.

Rach1, Andy in Germany and Pat "5mph" like this.
  11. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Not So Special One

Your hybrid will be fine and you can definitely do this. My first ride back cycling was 4 miles, I was really pleased with myself, grinning from ear to ear for a couple of days. I cycled 121 miles not long ago and loved every minute. You can achieve anything, good luck and keep us all posted.

12. Drago

Drago Soiler of Y fronts

Do it. You have plenty of time to prepare, and that's not all that great a distance in the grand scheme. You can do it.

Rach1, NorthernDave and Pat "5mph" like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Rach1

Rach1 Previously known as wrinkly

Really helpful to hear all your experiences. About to meet today with a local ladies ride (cycleayrshire) so looking forward to that.
    Normally a fair weather rider:whistle: it's windy today, just realised I will need to train in all kinds of weather!!
    However it seems to be a different Pat I've been in touch with from Pat "5mph"^_^. Mb we will meet someday!

14. Drago

Drago Soiler of Y fronts

And once you've done it you can change your user name from Wrinkly to Trim and Toned.

15. OP
    OP
    Rach1

Rach1 Previously known as wrinkly

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice