Could/should I aim for it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
When I went back to riding after years off, I gradually built my mileage up, generally doing about 1 mile more each time, until I got to being able to do 30 miles without knackering myself. I could probably now do 40+ at a steady pace, so long as the weather was decent and I had a drink with me. The reason I limit my rides to under 30 miles is time constraints.
I see no reason why the OP shouldn't manage, I ride almost all my miles on flat-bar hybrids or rigid MTB's, and so long as you aren't obsessed with speed they will get you there. The only thing I would caution though is the further you stray from home, the more of a nuisance a puncture or mechanical fault will be. Therefore, ride a well-maintained bike and fit it with highly puncture-resistant tyres such as Schwalbe Marathon. Riding them is far more fun than fixing them at the roadside.

pjd57

Veteran
Go for it.

If you are in or near Glasgow, look up Free Wheel North.
Great company and rides that will help you build up your confidence and distance.
Glasgow Green or the White House on Maryhill rd.

Renmurew

Veteran
Hey @wrinkly I hope today well and you enjoyed riding in a group. In response to your original post, you can certainly do the PfS ride. I only took up cycling at 50 and started out only able to cover about a mile at a time before I was well and truly exhausted. Ive never been sporty, ever, nor had any interest in becoming sporty, but something drew me to cycling as a way to get out in the fresh air. I didnt expect to enjoy it but found myself actually looking forward to taking my bike out because I knew I would spend the next couple of hours grinning at my magnificent (to me) achievements.

Roll on 2 years. Ive taken part in about 30 cycle events (I like the medals lol), Ive cycled the Etape Loch Ness twice which is 66 miles and Etape Caledonia which is 85, Ive taken part in 3 triathlons (more bling lol) and have signed up for a 100 mile, through the night cycle in June. I'll never be the fastest cyclist but then again my goals have never been to finish an event first, only to finish, so I couldn't be happier with my success to date.

If you had asked me 2 years ago could I cycle 2 miles, the answer would have been no. But Ive discovered that I love cycling and I constantly surprise myself over what my next challenge is.

Good luck with your training over Spring/Summer. It will be great to hear how you get on.

OP
OP
Rach1

Rach1

Previously known as wrinkly
It was more a meet up diy cycle in Ayrshire yesterday, but very welcoming and positive.
Feel like "myself" when out cycling if that makes sense.
Name change is in hand :rolleyes: Didn't expect to be posting on here just gathering info. However just couldn't resist getting involved.:okay:

It was more a meet up diy cycle in Ayrshire yesterday, but very welcoming and positive.
Feel like "myself" when out cycling if that makes sense.
Name change is in hand :rolleyes: Didn't expect to be posting on here just gathering info. However just couldn't resist getting involved.:okay:

I know the feeling. And I'm with the others here: go for it.

(Take pictures)

Katherine

Guru
Enjoy your training and keep us up to date with your progress.

When you get to the end of the big ride, you'll be saying "What's next? "

rugby bloke

Veteran
Best of luck with the training. I'm sure I'm not the only person on here who was drawn into cycling after signing up for a charity ride. I went from 10 miles to 100 miles in 4 months ... which was a bit stupid in retrospect but it got me hooked. You have plenty of time to build up gradually and enjoy the process.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Absolutely and utterly YES! I started 5 years ago and 10km on bike path was very hard in spring. did that a few times, went for a ride around Chew Lake. Signed up for a 100km sportive inc Cheddar Gorge and did that on my hybrid in the September. I was very unfit although I do love wild weather and outdoors as used to be a mountain walker in my youth before knee issues I've never been sporty and am very solid so not a natural athlete type. I did realise that I got a lot of looks on my hybrid, and I'm sure nobody thought I'd finish but I did. Unfortunately I fell off on a speed bump 10m from the arch at the end and broke my ribs. 2 weeks later I was in my LBS buying my first road bike. The following year I plucked up courage to join a group, I'm still too slow for most groups. But I did a couple of 100km audax and was hooked especially for audax as they are so friendly and such a huge variety of riders the vast majority get on and respect anyone who rides a bike,. Next was a 200km charity ride. Following year I did Ride London, that was so easy compared to other rides I've done, but coping with inconsiderate speed freaks downhill on narrow lanes was the scariest ride too.

I'm now 53 and 200km is a huge achievement for me, I do it once a year or so, and I know most people who don't know me don't think I'll finish. People I associate with can ride 300/400/600km audax. I can't do that but what does that matter?

It's mostly in your mind and a very good bike fit. I have a knee replacement, back issues and am now registered partially sighted but my sight has always been as it is so I am used to it. if I can do it you can. Once you're half way round you are going to keep on trugging come what may. Keep eating and drinking very regularly, rest a bit. Take it at your pace. Sign up for Strava and you will amaze yourself with your progress and how far the cumulatives are each month and then years as you continue. compete with yourself, not others. Try and use your bike for regular utility/commuting journeys too, riding becomes second nature.

Last edited:

bruce1530

Guru
As everyone else says, go for it. Events like Pedal for Scotland are great in that it’s supported, it’s closed roads, there are plenty of opportunities for breaks, but most importantly, there are lots of people doing it, some of whom will have done much less cycling than you. You’ll be carried along in part by the adrenaline and excitement.

I remember a few years when I started cycling as an adult- think I’d just turned 50 - I was doing little trips along the local cycle path for a few miles, then turning home. It felt like quite an achievement. Then trips a few miles further to a cafe.... “I did 10 miles today”...

Now, I go along the same path, thinking “Look, there’s the bit where I used to stop for a rest”, or “here’s the bit where I used to turn back”. I’m not competitive, and certainly not fast, but I feel that I’m cheating myself if I don’t do 50k.

But I don’t remember making a conscious jump from pootling along the path to “proper” trips - it just sort of happened....

I started cycling again in my early 60s after a gap of 40ish years. Mostly just pootling about until I decided to do a sponsored 50 mile ride on a mountain bike. I found it much easier than I thought it would be as the pace was a lot slower than I imagined (they are not races), and the motivation of the people who had sponsored me kept me going.

I am certainly no great shakes as a rider so if I can do it anybody can.

Go for it, you won't regret it.

OP
OP
Rach1

Rach1

Previously known as wrinkly
Thank you all so much for taking the time to a) document your experiences and b) your encouragement.
I did a windy wet cycle the other day and that was a bit of a shock to the system. :blush: Not very hilly around here but the wind made up for that! Getting a little braver at tootling along. Quite enjoy a bit of speed as it turns out :dance: Looking at some videos on how to maintain a bike. Lots to keep me occupied.
Name change completed.

Top Bottom