Could your house be sold without your knowledge or consent ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Certainly a headline to catch your attention.

Our recent experience drew our attention to this shocking fraud.

My Wife has Lasting Power of Attorney for her elderly Auntie, who is in a care home. My wife has recently sold her Aunties house with the funds obviously going back to Auntie to pay for her care.

Put aside 40 mins to listen to this disturbing program on BBC Sounds

Lasting Power of Attorney fraud

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
My first wife did a runner with her boyfriend and they did that. Never heard of or seen them since.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Yes it can... it's been all over R4s You & Yours and Moneybox in recent weeks... horrid to think the legal system can be manipulated in this way, and hopefully the loopholes will be gone.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I saw a movie about this a few months ago. A lawyer used to go to old people's homes and persuade the owner they are better off in a retirement home. The lawyer took possession of the house and lived a lavish lifestyle.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Was that the story of a man who had been alway for a year to find someone was installed in his house and doing alternations? In Luton I think.
The police initially said it was a civil matter but after a rethink prosecuted the imposter for fraud.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Was that the story of a man who had been alway for a year to find someone was installed in his house and doing alternations? In Luton I think.
The police initially said it was a civil matter but after a rethink prosecuted the imposter for fraud.
that's different story that had nothing to do with Lasting Power of Attorney fraud.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
No, it is about a totally fraudulent application for Lasting Power of Attorney being granted by the Office of the Public Guardian. It appears they did / do not do identity checks etc.
When approached by the legal home owner the advice she was given was 'mind boggling'

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You can and should set up an alert on the property. I have alerts setup for my whole extended family - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/property-alert

Saluki

World class procrastinator
This is horrific. That poor woman, especially as the original document is still out in the wild somewhere.
I have forwarded the programme link to a sole owner, often away for months at a time, mortgage paid off years ago. He will ignore it as ‘it could never happen to him’ but I have sent it anyway.

Reactions: C R

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There was a story not long ago where a gentleman went back to his house after a couple of months and found that It had been sold and the new owner was refurbishing it.

At first the police said it was a civil matter and wouldn't investigate but after he contacted the newspapers they changed their mind and found the person that sold it.

Don't know what happened after that.

You can contact the land registry and set up an alert so that in the event someone tries to look into details of your house you will be alerted.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Certainly a headline to catch your attention.

Our recent experience drew our attention to this shocking fraud.

My Wife has Lasting Power of Attorney for her elderly Auntie, who is in a care home. My wife has recently sold her Aunties house with the funds obviously going back to Auntie to pay for her care.

Put aside 40 mins to listen to this disturbing program on BBC Sounds

Lasting Power of Attorney fraud
We listened to this when it went out last week. Terrifying how much was taken on trust by some of the organisations involved, but also top marks to the solicitors who smelt a rat.

Top Bottom