Could your house be sold without your knowledge or consent ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
"If your property isn’t registered, it doesn’t mean there is a problem with your ownership – it simply means there hasn’t been a transaction to trigger the requirement to register since it became compulsory for your area. (The registration requirement was brought in over a number of years and the date at which it became compulsory varies between local authority areas).

https://www.napthens.co.uk/blog/unregistered-property-whats-impact-move/
Thanks for that, it's all coming back now.
The house was bought in 1960, and inherited in 1988, before compulsory registration. I had a letter from the solicitor 14 years ago offering to register for £500. I wrote back with a list of questions, but they never replied, so I didn't. Five years ago I was walking past their office when I noticed it was empty, and up for sale, so I panicked a bit, being as my deeds were in their strongroom. It turned out that before they closed they'd transferred them to another solicitor without telling me.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Alert set for my house but my parents’ house isn’t registered; they moved there in 1981. The same applies for some land they own - part of it is registered as it was appended later but the original parcel is unregistered. I shall take it up with them.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I seem to remember that registration was free or not expensive. I had to sort out registration of my parents' house when my mum died and her name had to be removed from the deeds.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I saw a movie about this a few months ago. A lawyer used to go to old people's homes and persuade the owner they are better off in a retirement home. The lawyer took possession of the house and lived a lavish lifestyle.
I honestly don't see how this could happen now in the U.K at least. When someone goes into a residential home a financial assessment is done and they will go quite far back. If you have signed your house over to someone else then they can claw it back under deprivation of assets. Before there used to be time limit but not now.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I honestly don't see how this could happen now in the U.K at least. When someone goes into a residential home a financial assessment is done and they will go quite far back. If you have signed your house over to someone else then they can claw it back under deprivation of assets. Before there used to be time limit but not now.

It was a US Movie (Netflix/Amazon) - wouldn't happen in the UK !

fossyant

One thing we've had to do is not sell MIL's house whilst she is in a Nursing Home.

Why, because as soon as she's not specifically under the Local Authority, the Home would charge us an additional £20k for MIL to be there per year.

So, keeping a perfectly usable house empty, saves MIL £20k pa in fees. Can't even rent it as the work needed to put it in a rent-able position would be too much cost, and then the LA takes about 90% to offset residential fees - the remainder wouldn't be enough to cover landlords responsibilities.

We've even stopped SIL from thinking she can have the house cheap - sorry but it has to be market value.

Alex321

Veteran
Could this breach data protection regulations?
No.

There is no personal information involved.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
One thing we've had to do is not sell MIL's house whilst she is in a Nursing Home.

Why, because as soon as she's not specifically under the Local Authority, the Home would charge us an additional £20k for MIL to be there per year.

So, keeping a perfectly usable house empty, saves MIL £20k pa in fees. Can't even rent it as the work needed to put it in a rent-able position would be too much cost, and then the LA takes about 90% to offset residential fees - the remainder wouldn't be enough to cover landlords responsibilities.

We've even stopped SIL from thinking she can have the house cheap - sorry but it has to be market value.
Maybe that explains some of the perfectly good houses standing empty for years. A waste of good housing.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Thanks for that, it's all coming back now.
The house was bought in 1960, and inherited in 1988, before compulsory registration. I had a letter from the solicitor 14 years ago offering to register for £500. I wrote back with a list of questions, but they never replied, so I didn't. Five years ago I was walking past their office when I noticed it was empty, and up for sale, so I panicked a bit, being as my deeds were in their strongroom. It turned out that before they closed they'd transferred them to another solicitor without telling me.
Personally, I would get it registered, I don't even know in which cabinet my deeds are, they are slightly irrelevant when the house is registered correctly.

fossyant

Maybe that explains some of the perfectly good houses standing empty for years. A waste of good housing.

Exactly - flaming crazy TBH. It would make a good family home, but given how the situation is, it's financially beneficial to MIL to leave the house empty. Three years and counting.

The latest 'You and Yours' who first splashed the stolen house story have recently highlighted how FOI requests for 'empty properties suitable for redevelopment' (or somesuch wording) has been used by criminal scum to find target properties! Local Authorities should NOT give out this information as it's likely to lead to the OP headline through Land Registry attack (not LPA).

Alex321

Veteran
The latest 'You and Yours' who first splashed the stolen house story have recently highlighted how FOI requests for 'empty properties suitable for redevelopment' (or somesuch wording) has been used by criminal scum to find target properties! Local Authorities should NOT give out this information as it's likely to lead to the OP headline through Land Registry attack (not LPA).
So they should be breaking the law?

They are obliged by law to give out that information.

Top Bottom