Council Tax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Sounds a strange thing to do…..give them unemployment benefits, just for them to pay it back in council tax.

That's how it works.

Until around 2013 there was, at least in England, a single national scheme to reduce Council Tax for people on low income. It worked like Housing Benefit by starting with an allowance for living costs based on household make up, disability etc. If you were living on benefits alone then you paid nowt. If you had income above the allowance than help began to taper off.

After that each Council in England was required to devise its own scheme. At first government funding allowed them to retain the characteristics above. Then that was reduced. Most now expect people, even those on the lowest level of Universal Credit, to pay a percentage. In some cases it's five or ten percent but some much more. The stingiest I've seen is North Lincolnshire's 50%.

AFAIK there's still a national scheme for those over Pension Age.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
That's how it works.

Until around 2013 there was, at least in England, a single national scheme to reduce Council Tax for people on low income. It worked like Housing Benefit by starting with an allowance for living costs based on household make up, disability etc. If you were living on benefits alone then you paid nowt. If you had income above the allowance than help began to taper off.

After that each Council in England was required to devise its own scheme. At first government funding allowed them to retain the characteristics above. Then that was reduced. Most now expect people, even those on the lowest level of Universal Credit, to pay a percentage. In some cases it's five or ten percent but some much more. The stingiest I've seen is North Lincolnshire's 50%.

AFAIK there's still a national scheme for those over Pension Age.

So one department pays it out and another department recieves it back……no wonder there so many different daprtments in council offices.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
So one department pays it out and another department recieves it back……no wonder there so many different daprtments in council offices.

Not sure I follow that.

If you are on a low income the council do an assessment and if you 'pass' they reduce your bill. The amount of the reduction depends on your income and your council's scheme.

As most of the Council's income is from central government then an element of that funding is for the Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

Last edited:

jowwy

Not sure I follow that.

If you are on a low income the council do an assessment and if you 'pass' they reduce your bill. The amount of the reduction depends on your income and your council's scheme.

As most of the Council's income is from central government then an element of that funding is for the Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

maybe slightly different here in wales...but who knows

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
maybe slightly different here in wales...but who knows

I do benefit advice for a living though mostly focussed on England.

IIRC it is different in Wales.

A quick check with a benefit checking tool and a sample of Welsh LAs suggests people in basic Universal Credit get a 100% discount irrespective of their Council.

jowwy

The theory is to make recipients think about who they vote for in local elections, so they don’t just vote for the party spending most on services but take into account what they are paying.

trust me, were i live only one party is ever going to win.........

Mr Celine

Discordian
You can be fully exempt on mental health grounds. Needs a certificate from a psychiatrist that you have a substantial impairment of intelligence or social functioning which is likely to be permanent.
In Scotland water charges are still part of council tax so the exemption covers this as well.

Houses inhabited only by students are also fully exempt.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
You can be fully exempt on mental health grounds. Needs a certificate from a psychiatrist that you have a substantial impairment of intelligence or social functioning which is likely to be permanent.
In Scotland water charges are still part of council tax so the exemption covers this as well.

Houses inhabited only by students are also fully exempt.

Not sure that is correct as water and sewage is a separate charge but added on to council tax so only one sum is paid. There is confusion as when people here refer to council tax they are not in fact referring to council tax alone but the combined sum.
Water and sewage in Scotland is wholly state owned so it makes more sense to have only one combined bill.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Not sure that is correct as water and sewage is a separate charge but added on to council tax so only one sum is paid. There is confusion as when people here refer to council tax they are not in fact referring to council tax alone but the combined sum.
Water and sewage in Scotland is wholly state owned so it makes more sense to have only one combined bill.

Yes it's correct. See
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/s.../paying-for-water-and-sewerage-in-scotland-s/

...or any cooncil website.

Top Bottom