Counter steering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
There are not many articles relating to pedal bikes and the technique of counter steering. However, there are tons of articles on counter steering relating to motorbikes. The principles for both motorised and unmotorised cycles are the same. It is a bit difficult to find articles about counter steering relating to non motorised bicycles. Personally I think it is some thing that is important to know, even if the amount of input you need to put in to steer is minimal. I think it helps to control your steering into high speed corners. And knowing to just push your left handlebar when a silly motorist has caught you in a left hook (Mentioned in cyclecraft, although not as counter steering, but it is exactly what you do).

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Its a fallacy. No-one truly counter steers on a cycle

ASC1951

Guru
I do a version of counter steering on fast twisting descents. Rather than pulling, I consciously straighten i.e. extend the inside arm. This may sound wrong, but it definitely make cornering smoother and faster.

All you are doing is moving your centre of mass relative to the frame, but that is the way it works on a motorbike as well. The bike doesn't actually steer in any different direction, it's just that having your body in a slightly different position means you can corner at a higher speed without losing your line.

weevil

Steve Austin said:

Shouldn't that read, "No-one consciously counter steers on a cycle"?

I'm convinced that the only way to change direction at any speed (above a slow walking pace) on any two-wheeled vehicle with "normal" steering geometry is to counter-steer.

That said, I'd be interested to hear alternative theories.

Norm

Steve Austin said:
You have to be going fairly fast to need to counter steer but I have certainly done it on a bike. The thing is that we do it intuitively and it's allied to leaning so we don't notice that we are doing it.

On motorcycles, my answer to the cynics is (given suitable conditions) try using just one hand on the bars and steering. It is then much more obvious which way you are steering. However, don't try doing that if there are other vehicles around, if you don't feel confident and competent doing it and it is at your own risk.

jimboalee

I had to 'Counter steer' once on the sharp bend half way down the Horseshoe pass ( new stretch of road ).

I applied the rear brake and the rear wheel lost adhesion and started skipping sideways.
I counter steered, or was it 'opposite lock' with a lot of out lean and rear tyre skidding to keep on the tarmac.

Not a thing I'll do again in a hurry... at 35 mph.

Thankfully, there wasn't a car approachng in the opposite direction.

I've seen this happen on the TdeF. Too much enthusiasm.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's easy to control a rear wheel skid on a 2-wheeler; you just keep the handlebars facing in the direction of travel and let the back do its own thing.

There is avoidance steering, which is a technique you'll need more when mountain biking. Suppose you're riding a narrow trail such as sheep make on fell tops and there's a rock you want to avoid but no room to swerve around it. You can consciously steer the wheels around it but in doing so you deliberately sacrifice your balance above the bike. If you are quick you only need a small correction with the wheels on the other side of your centre line but if you delay, your front wheel tracking out to one side will be starting a turn and you will need somewhere to go. It's just a momentary deliberate loss of balance, if you like.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
jimboalee said:
I had to 'Counter steer' once on the sharp bend half way down the Horseshoe pass ( new stretch of road ).

I applied the rear brake and the rear wheel lost adhesion and started skipping sideways.
I counter steered, or was it 'opposite lock' with a lot of out lean and rear tyre skidding to keep on the tarmac.

Not a thing I'll do again in a hurry... at 35 mph.

Thankfully, there wasn't a car approachng in the opposite direction.

I've seen this happen on the TdeF. Too much enthusiasm.

Did the same twice during our boys summer tour... too much bravado! Praise be to Pro-Race 3! Tiz a horrible feeling!

Norm said:
You have to be going fairly fast to need to counter steer but I have certainly done it on a bike. The thing is that we do it intuitively and it's allied to leaning so we don't notice that we are doing it.

On motorcycles, my answer to the cynics is (given suitable conditions) try using just one hand on the bars and steering. It is then much more obvious which way you are steering. However, don't try doing that if there are other vehicles around, if you don't feel confident and competent doing it and it is at your own risk.

What he said..

Norm

MrP, sorry if the confusion I've created has caused you concern. :rolleyes:

If that confuses you so much, though, you could either lift your hand only a little from the bars, so the balance doesn't change, or try doing it by lifting both hands into both left and right corners. It works, though, given sufficient speed, so don't be overly worried by it. :wacko:

Fixedwheelnut

I always thought every body did just most without realising it as it is all part of leaning the bike, to lean a bike left you have to steer it right even if only for a subconcious nano second :rolleyes:

An exagerated form is Speedway bikes allthough that is more akin to drifting.

The first time I truly noticed it was at Calshot Track, the steep banking means you can feel the force through the bars and you need to steer right while leaning as the cornering forces are trying to straighten you up, if you don't you will head straight down the banking in to the track centre.

Just a note to add you must go and try it that feeling of flying around 45 degree banking and leaning so you are actually parallel with the ground is a real buzz.

Top Bottom