Counter steering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Fixedwheelnut said:
Are people confusing countersteering with actually turning the bars in the wrong direction past the centre straight ahead point?
That would be the definition of counter-steering for me. The clue being in the words "counter" and "steering", as in steering in a direction contrary to that which you wish to turn. :biggrin:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Fixedwheelnut said:
Are people confusing countersteering with actually turning the bars in the wrong direction past the centre straight ahead point?

To me countersteering is when you are in a turn [say left for argument sake] the bars are turning to the left but you apply pressure with the left arm forward to stop the bars turning tighter on themselves, usually this is only required in extreme circumstances or forces hence I have only experienced it on the track and motor bike riders experience it due to the higher speeds and weight that they deal with.

I'm not stirring this up honest :biggrin:

Nah

Counter steering happens before the turn starts, and it's a way to start a lean, as this is the way two wheeled cycles (be in motorcycles or bicycles) turn.

You turn the wheel in the opposite direction in order to change the balance in the front wheel which causes a lean, due to the way the wheel is mounted and the angle of the forks this means you turn in the opposite direction to the way you want to travel for a moment and this causes the lean in the direction of required travel.

This is something important to do on a motorbike due to the riders weight compared to the motorbikes weight. Basically it's harder for the rider to shift the balance in weight at high speed and thus this is the chosen method of steering. But due to the weight of a bicycle, a rider can much more easily shift the balance in weight and thus the need for counter steering is none. but can be done.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Well yeah :biggrin:

i was just giving a more in depth something or other but then i lost the will to type so ended it quickly. much like this :biggrin:

bonj2

gaz said:
Nah

Counter steering happens before the turn starts, and it's a way to start a lean, as this is the way two wheeled cycles (be in motorcycles or bicycles) turn.

You turn the wheel in the opposite direction in order to change the balance in the front wheel which causes a lean, due to the way the wheel is mounted and the angle of the forks this means you turn in the opposite direction to the way you want to travel for a moment and this causes the lean in the direction of required travel.

This is something important to do on a motorbike due to the riders weight compared to the motorbikes weight. Basically it's harder for the rider to shift the balance in weight at high speed and thus this is the chosen method of steering. But due to the weight of a bicycle, a rider can much more easily shift the balance in weight and thus the need for counter steering is none. but can be done.

good description.

I can do it on my road bike ever since my bro explained it to me as just exactly what you have described above. But usually only on a fairly sweeping bend on a fast descent.

the weight difference makes sense as to why it is more relevant on a motorbike.

Top Bottom