Counter steering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah, but when you do that it changes the balance of the bike, so this confuses things even more.

We all countersteer or else we'd not be able to to change direction. Whether that is a conscious decision is dependent on whether the level of training and practice the rider does.

SimonC

On a completely different note, very-near, I have to congratulate you on managing 3342 posts since joining Feb 2009.

Norm has managed 977 since joining in Oct 2009, so a higher monthly rate for him so far, but its early days for him yet. Maybe he's more of a sprinter, you're more a stayer.:rolleyes:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Ride along a road no handed. lean to the left. Does the bike steer to the right? The answer is no in case anyone is having trouble working it out.

Counter steering as a concept does not occur on cycles. Not in the way that anyone on this thread is trying to apply it.

jimboalee

Steve Austin said:
Ride along a road no handed. lean to the left. Does the bike steer to the right? The answer is no in case anyone is having trouble working it out.

Counter steering as a concept does not occur on cycles. Not in the way that anyone on this thread is trying to apply it.

Correct.

If you are riding aggressively enough to employ 'counter steering' on a push bike, you'll probably find yourself sliding down the road on your shoulder.

Steve Austin said:

I'd have to disagree given it is something I have practiced on many occasions. The geometry on a cycle to m/cycle is nearly the same, the cycle components are the same also, so it is not unreasonable to see that the same bar inputs are going to be required to getthe same results.

Perhaps a practical experiment is required to show which way the bars are actually turning when going left or right is needed ?

PK99

Legendary Member
Steve Austin said:

Freewheel on a gentle slope, rest your hands on the tops. Push very gently with the right hand. Which way does the bike turn?

SimonC said:
On a completely different note, very-near, I have to congratulate you on managing 3342 posts since joining Feb 2009.

Norm has managed 977 since joining in Oct 2009, so a higher monthly rate for him so far, but its early days for him yet. Maybe he's more of a sprinter, you're more a stayer.:blush:

I lost the password to my old account. I used to post as LLB :evil:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
PK99 said:
Freewheel on a gentle slope, rest your hands on the tops. Push very gently with the right hand. Which way does the bike turn?

it doesn't turn. The steering trys to correct itself, the bike trys to remain upright and go straight ahead.

It definantly does not turn right, if that is what you are suggesting.

NickM

Veteran
jimboalee said:
I had to 'Counter steer' once on the sharp bend half way down the Horseshoe pass ( new stretch of road )...
But I bet you didn't think "Ooooerrr, I'm in a spot of bother here, but not to worry, I'll apply the counter-steering technique".

I don't know whether counter-steering in the sense meant by motorcyclists is ever applicable in riding a bicycle, and whether it is or not it doesn't seem important to me. You learn how to stay upright on a bicycle through experience, and the actions necessary to do so in all (well, most) circumstances become reflexes. Just as well, because there is never time to apply them consciously.

What is important, if you like your skin, is that you have a good few miles under your belt before you start pushing the limits!

PK99

Legendary Member
Steve Austin said:
it doesn't turn. The steering trys to correct itself, the bike trys to remain upright and go straight ahead.

It definantly does not turn right, if that is what you are suggesting.

try it!

NickM

Veteran
Something on this subject appears here.

It doesn't alter my opinion. It says, among other things:

"It has been established since at least the 1930s that the ideal head angle for a road bike is 73 degrees."

Oh yeah? Ever heard of Tony Foale, sunshine??

jimboalee

PK99 said:

The bike moves leftward while the rider continues in a straight line until he hits the tarmac. :biggrin:

If you push very gently with the right hand, you also have to move your centre of gravity ( tilting of the cranium ) to make the resultant force vector pass through the tyres.

If you intend to exercise 'counter steering', as soon as you feel your body falling to the right, you must steer into the right hand curve.

Top Bottom