Courtesy and Safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carditch

I cycle for exercise and enjoyment of the countryside.
I'm 65, not super fit, and only average about 8 mph and try to manage 100 miles a month.

I'm fortunate to live in County Durham, and for the last 25 years I've made extensive use of our excellent network of old-railway paths.

This year I seem to having more and more problems with other cyclists coming up from behind and overtaking without warning. The first time I see them is when my peripheral vision startles me. This is quite likely to make me jump or swerve. In any case the path surfaces are not always regular (although the County Council generally keeps them in good repair !) and sometimes there are deposits that one would rather not ride through.

This problem has been getting worse for the last couple of months. I had a near collision last Thursday for this reason, and when I remonstrated (politely) with the other cyclist and asked him to give warning when overtaking, I was told to 'keep my line' and 'learn to ride a bike'. !

It is now at the point when I'm almost afraid to go out on the paths, especially at times like early evening when there are more likely to be more 'fast riders' about!

I myself am always polite to other path users, and give plenty of warning when coming up from behind.

Please can anybody suggest any way in which I can stay safe and enjoy my bike rides?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Would a mirror help? You can get one that fits into the end of the handlebar if you ride a drop-bar bike.

Rude, aggressive cyclists are the main reason why I've never joined a club. I don't want to ride with people like them.

Presumably during working days there aren't any weekend warriors about and the routes are quieter.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Speaking as a much-overtaken cyclist, I agree it is a problem. As spring has sprung more cyclists are coming out of hibernation and its getting a bit worse.

To be fair to the cyclists of Kent I very often do get a warning "hello" or from the more rules-obsessed "on your right".

Possible solutions: A mirror (controversial I know) I use a Sprintech bar-end one; A thicker skin; A wider road position to give you a bit more escape room to your left; An ability to rise above such minor irritants.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
To be fair to the cyclists of Kent I very often do get a warning "hello" or from the more rules-obsessed "on your right"
That's vaguely interesting, not picking a fight here by the way, but I always say some kind of variation of "Coming through on your left" kind of thing because I want people to know which side I'm on, I never ever thought of that as being rules obsessed, I didn't even know it was a rule.

Drago

Legendary Member
On a cycle track I slow, and hail them with "morning (or afternoon etc), coming up behind" and let them decide on which side they are most comfortable with me passing.

And then a cheery smile and a "thankyou" as I wobble past.

Manners never does any harm, and if it improves the perception of cyclists in the mind of the other party, then so much the better.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That's vaguely interesting, not picking a fight here by the way, but I always say some kind of variation of "Coming through on your left" kind of thing because I want people to know which side I'm on, I never ever thought of that as being rules obsessed, I didn't even know it was a rule.
I wasn't trying to pick a fight either (although I might if you tried to undertake me on my left)

I just meant riders who like to use the "proper" cycling terms rather than informal ones. I don't really mind what terms they use, but its interesting that you can normally predict who is coming from their warning. "On your right"=Club train, "Hello"=A couple of informal riders. <silence> .... WHOOSH = Dulwich Paragon. (corrected)

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I wasn't trying to pick a fight either (although I might if you tried to undertake me on my left)

I just meant riders who like to use the "proper" cycling terms rather than informal ones. I don't really mind what terms they use, but its interesting that you can normally predict who is coming from their warning. "On your right"=Club train, "Hello"=A couple of informal riders. <silence> .... WHOOSH = Dulwich Dynamo.
Oki doki. I've never ridden with a club, I just thought it made sense for the person coming past to take control and let the person they were overtaking know where they were going to be.
Is it an undertake if you're riding on the right hand side of a path and someone comes past on the left?
For the avoidance of any doubt before anyone thinks I'm a WHOOSHER, the usual path secenario will go something like this;
Catch up with cyclist
Match my speed to theirs a couple of bike lengths back on the side of the path which they are not.
Get their attention, "I'm going to come past on your left" kind of stuff
Keep shouting cos they've got headphones in
Receive acknowledgement
Smoke 'em.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Is it an undertake if you're riding on the right hand side of a path and someone comes past on the left?
For further avoidance of doubt I was referring to riding on the road, where you should generally overtake on the right.

I don't use shared use paths much.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
This year I seem to having more and more problems with other cyclists coming up from behind and overtaking without warning. The first time I see them is when my peripheral vision startles me. This is quite likely to make me jump or swerve.

What exactly are the overtaking cyclists doing wrong? Are they passing too close? Or is it just that you didn't hear them coming up behind you so are surprised?

I don't aways give a warning when passing other cyclists on cyclepaths - although I will usually wish them a good morning as I pass. I make a judgment as to whether a warning is needed, and only usually give one if the other cyclist is riding erratically and not holding their line - which, by the way, you really should do as much as possible. You don't own the path and you should expect there to be other cyclists on it. You really shouldn't be startled and swerve every time another cyclist comes past you. And if you're only doing 8mph, you should expect to be overtaken often.

If you have to avoid hazards, fair enough, but try to check over your shoulder before moving off your line. The general rule in a shared space is to behave as predictably as possible.

Of course the overtaking cyclists should always give you as much room as possible when passing, and should anticipate the possibility that you may move off your line suddenly - slowing down and giving warnings if necessary. But if you're the kind of cyclist who needs a warning every time another cyclist overtakes, it suggests you're not sufficiently aware of your surroundings for your own safety or the safety of others.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
For further avoidance of doubt I was referring to riding on the road, where you should generally overtake on the right.

I don't use shared use paths much.
I thought you may have been, I was thinking more of our local NCN4 which looks rather like this;
maxresdefault.jpg

(thats not me in the pic BTW) Which I think is more like the OP is refering to.
On the road I'd be going past on the right, with a cheery "Hello" :hello:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Works both ways. Weaving about all over the path at slow speed is poor manners too.
Oh I dunno, if someone is learning or has some balance issues or lacks confidence then they may be weaving about a bit, if I'm on the paths then I'm not in any rush, if I need to get a wiggle on I'll be on the road.

Top Bottom