Courtesy and Safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I tend to swing wide, slow down and nod, unless I think there might be a bit of a race challenge going on, in which case I hang back and then boot it past, arse out the saddle with an easy look on my face whilst in sight before returning to my normal suffering grimace. If it looks like they might catch me again, I turn off.
If there are no turnoffs nearby and a catch is imminent, then faking a puncture is also a tactic I've *cough, splutter* seen other riders use.

Sharky

Guru
I'd forgotten, but I do believe I had a bell on the bike on my avatar picture!

I think it was useful when I was dropped on the club runs to make the rest wait for me!

OP
OP
C

carditch

I would say that there are a few issues here.

Firstly, I'd suggest rethinking this whole issue. The riders who are going past you are doing the same thing as you, enjoying their ride. They are not intentionally seeking targets to intimidate. If you can start to think of them as people, just like you, it may remove some of the feelings that you have towards them.

Secondly, whilst I agree with rear observation, it sounds as if you are enjoying a generally more relaxing pace (I do too) so would actually recommend a mirror as the need to constantly look over your shoulder is not exactly relaxing. I don't usually agree with rhwm.as on busy roads nothing beats direct eyeballing (in my view) but on segregated track like yours, perhaps it's the best solution.

Lastly, I would encourage you to work on your stabilisation if you feel you do weave about a bit, then that's hard work and requires a lot of concentration, grip, movement and generally lack of fun. Not to mention the impact it can have on other riders who wish to pass to continue their enjoyment.

Most of all, keep riding it's clearly a good thing and would be a shame for you to miss the activity because of feelings of tribalism or lack of confidence.

Thank you. Of course I am going to keep riding. However, I think you may be missing my main point. I am 65, and have ridden bicycles since I was a teenager. I am fairly stable thank you. However, I defy any human being not to be startled if something suddenly appears in their peripheral vision without warning. On many of the Durham paths, there is not a lot of width. If people were going past me with a three or four foot of separation then the problem would probably not be as bad. I always try to be tolerant and not to think badly of anybody. However, if people are suddenly and without warning within a foot of my handlebars then I tend to think very badly of them indeed!

I would also repeat my statement from my original post - this problem has grown much worse this year. Other cyclists I have spoken to, and other users of the Durham Paths have commented on this as well.

Please can we avoid the decline of courtesy and common sense which seems to be affecting so much else in the world at the moment.

lutonloony

Über Member
Was overtaken ( nothing unusual) by a very courteous cyclist on Sunday, who announced" coming through on your........................they obviously had total brain freeze, then "right" as they went flying by

Lozz360

Veteran
Hmmm. There's a scale here to be devised here. Like the Beaufort wind scale.
Bells are "high wind" on the cyclechat scale of things not to mention, WD40 as a chain lubricant and saying hello are "strong breeze". Hats and hi vis are "gale force 10".
...steadily increasing and veering to the right.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Thank you. Of course I am going to keep riding. However, I think you may be missing my main point. I am 65, and have ridden bicycles since I was a teenager. I am fairly stable thank you. However, I defy any human being not to be startled if something suddenly appears in their peripheral vision without warning. On many of the Durham paths, there is not a lot of width. If people were going past me with a three or four foot of separation then the problem would probably not be as bad. I always try to be tolerant and not to think badly of anybody. However, if people are suddenly and without warning within a foot of my handlebars then I tend to think very badly of them indeed!

I would also repeat my statement from my original post - this problem has grown much worse this year. Other cyclists I have spoken to, and other users of the Durham Paths have commented on this as well.

Please can we avoid the decline of courtesy and common sense which seems to be affecting so much else in the world at the moment.
I meant no disrespect. From your post it seemed that one remonstrating rider suggested you were weaving. I was asking whether you feel this was true and if so, could you mitigate this.

My comments are well meaning. You can take them as you wish, just remember...you asked for them.

Edit... I take your point on width, riders should not pass anything at an unsafe speed if there is insufficient room. Although, safe is a subjective term.

Top Bottom