Courtesy and Safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Legendary Member
I wasn't trying to pick a fight either (although I might if you tried to undertake me on my left)

I just meant riders who like to use the "proper" cycling terms rather than informal ones. I don't really mind what terms they use, but its interesting that you can normally predict who is coming from their warning. "On your right"=Club train, "Hello"=A couple of informal riders. <silence> .... WHOOSH = Dulwich Paragon. (corrected)
FFS
Its people like you that are the problem and have the problem.

You arwe complaining because you don't like the warning you are given

you would no doubt bleat if you did not get a warning.

What next, the passing cyclist is using too high a cadence.

You got a warning that's what you want

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
FFS

FFS.

You are complaining because you don't like the analysis of the warning you are giving. I don't think @Dogtrousers's "it's interesting" was really much of a complaint!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
FFS

you would no doubt bleat if you did not get a warning.

What next, the passing cyclist is using too high a cadence.

You got a warning that's what you want
I am indeed complaining, in the strongest possible terms. I am so vexed that I have been driven to using language like "I don't really mind what terms they use" and "its interesting" I'm sorry if my intemperate language upsets people, but I'm really that angry. ;)

spen666

Legendary Member
Ever thought the reason why passing cyclists say nothing is because of moaning cyclists who complain about the warning or greeting given. Its not for you to dictate the words used, the tone of the warning. It is a matter of courtesy to give a warning. It is not your right to demand the words tone etc used.

You have heard the warning, so it has achieved its purpose

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ever thought the reason why passing cyclists say nothing is because of moaning cyclists who complain about the warning or greeting given. Its not for you to dictate the words used, the tone of the warning. It is a matter of courtesy to give a warning. It is not your right to demand the words tone etc used.

You have heard the warning, so it has achieved its purpose
You are ranting about something that doesn't exist. Don't let me stop you, but it does make you look something of a fool.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I shout, "Coming through on the right. Please take note of my carbon fibre and Di2."
You forgot to mention your Di2.

Personally I don't say anything to cyclists because around here if you do they will look over their shoulder and cycle straight into your path. IMO you should expect cyclists to be passing if you are cycling on a cycle path with big cycles painted on the surface and frequent blue signs with a picture of a pushbike on it.

Plus I don't have Di2 shifters so it takes forever to get my momentum back up buggering around with cables.

rivers

How far can I go?
Sometimes I call out "Coming up on your right" if I'm passing someone, and slow down a bit. Mainly if it's a family cycling, pedestrians, or a kid out on their bike. If it's an adult, it depends. Mostly I don't call out to adults. I don't ring a bell because I don't have one (narrow drop bars with just enough room for a light and a small garmin).

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I cycle for exercise and enjoyment of the countryside.
I'm 65, not super fit, and only average about 8 mph and try to manage 100 miles a month.

I'm fortunate to live in County Durham, and for the last 25 years I've made extensive use of our excellent network of old-railway paths.

This year I seem to having more and more problems with other cyclists coming up from behind and overtaking without warning. The first time
I see them is when my peripheral vision startles me. This is quite likely to make me jump or swerve. In any case the path surfaces are not always regular (although
the County Council generally keeps them in good repair !) and sometimes there are deposits that one would rather not ride through.

This problem has been getting worse for the last couple of months. I had a near collision last Thursday for this reason, and when I remonstrated (politely) with the other cyclist and asked him to give warning when overtaking, I was told to 'keep my
line' and 'learn to ride a bike'. !

It is now at the point when I'm almost afraid to go out on the paths, especially at times like early evening when there are more likely to be more 'fast riders' about!

I myself am always polite to other path users, and give plenty of warning when coming up from behind.

Please can anybody suggest any way in which I can stay safe and enjoy my bike rides?

I would say that there are a few issues here.

Firstly, I'd suggest rethinking this whole issue. The riders who are going past you are doing the same thing as you, enjoying their ride. They are not intentionally seeking targets to intimidate. If you can start to think of them as people, just like you, it may remove some of the feelings that you have towards them.

Secondly, whilst I agree with rear observation, it sounds as if you are enjoying a generally more relaxing pace (I do too) so would actually recommend a mirror as the need to constantly look over your shoulder is not exactly relaxing. I don't usually agree with rhwm.as on busy roads nothing beats direct eyeballing (in my view) but on segregated track like yours, perhaps it's the best solution.

Lastly, I would encourage you to work on your stabilisation if you feel you do weave about a bit, then that's hard work and requires a lot of concentration, grip, movement and generally lack of fun. Not to mention the impact it can have on other riders who wish to pass to continue their enjoyment.

Most of all, keep riding it's clearly a good thing and would be a shame for you to miss the activity because of feelings of tribalism or lack of confidence.

mjr

I don't ring a bell because I don't have one (narrow drop bars with just enough room for a light and a small garmin).
Narrow bars isn't really an excuse. You can attach a bell to your stem - there are some which replace a 10mm headset spacer if you're threadless - bar end, top tube even. You find space for a light because that benefits you, but crown-mounted and fork-mounted lights are possible so it could be relocated to enable fitting a bell.

Tim Hall

Narrow bars isn't really an excuse. You can attach a bell to your stem - there are some which replace a 10mm headset spacer if you're threadless - bar end, top tube even. You find space for a light because that benefits you, but crown-mounted and fork-mounted lights are possible so it could be relocated to enable fitting a bell.
But not wanting to fit a bell is an excuse. It's the one I use. As an "audible warning of approach" I say "hello", or on occasion, "ding dong" inna Leslie Phillips stylee.

mjr

But not wanting to fit a bell is an excuse. It's the one I use. As an "audible warning of approach" I say "hello", or on occasion, "ding dong" inna Leslie Phillips stylee.
And yet, in all my years riding, I've never heard anyone actually manage to achieve that instead of bawling some horrible squawk which maybe was meant to be "hello" before they raised their voice to be heard over the din of the motorists at the third attempt.

Maybe I should just keep wishing for @Tim Hall to overtake me, but it's far easier to advise people to keep it clear and friendly - fit a nice bell or a parp-parp horn.

Top Bottom