Courtesy and Safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I thought you may have been, I was thinking more of our local NCN4 which looks rather like this;

(thats not me in the pic BTW) Which I think is more like the OP is refering to.
On the road I'd be going past on the right, with a cheery "Hello" :hello:
Ah, I see. Then I think I'd just ping my bell (oops ... another bit of controversy there). But "passing on your left" would be fine (if that is really what you are doing, of course)

The only bit of shared path I ever ride is incredibly twisty, with footbridges, playgrounds and lots of dogs and children, kids on little bikes, and people with prams. I often get off and walk.

btw, while I do sometimes say "Hello" it is never, ever, cheery. "Cheery" is just not something I do. ;)

OP
OP
C

carditch

Thank you for all the responses. I think some of the responders may be missing my point, and have been making several assumptions. (Including one about my gender!)

Firstly, I do not ride that erratically, and I am probably riding (on the level) at between 10 and 12 mph (according to my new computer!).

Secondly, the Durham Railway Paths are used my many people not just cyclists. There are people with dogs, people of all ages, from young children in pushchairs, older people in power chairs, people on horses, and people just out for a walk and/or a chat. The paths are not dedicated to cyclists, and cyclists need to behave accordingly.

Thirdly, humans as a result of our evolution, react quickly to something in our peripheral vision. Something suddenly appearing in the 'corner of our eye' is likely to startle us and stimulate immediate involuntary reaction.

Common courtesy is therefore very important. The County Council Rules are that cyclists should give way to pedestrians and horses, but it is common sense to give warning of where you are. (I am always very careful around horses!) I always greet people anyway. Courtesy costs nothing.

Yes, I may have to get a mirror, but quite frankly having to 'check my six' constantly makes me nervous and distracted, and I do not see why this should need to be.

Anyway, in my 16 miles yesterday, everybody I met was polite and cheerful. As it happens nobody overtook me, but all the cyclists I spoke to were of the opinion that the 'unwarned overtaking' problem has been getting much worse recently.

Jody

Stubborn git
Please can anybody suggest any way in which I can stay safe and enjoy my bike rides?

When I am on shared I tent to stick to the left as you would in a car and have a check behind if needing to deviate from that. If someone isn't holding a line then I would approach with caution and ring my bell a couple of times but not go round unless I was sure they were stable. If you are holding a line then I would ring a couple of times on approach but go round when I got there.

Keep an eye on your surroundings if you startle easily.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This problem has been getting worse for the last couple of months. I had a near collision last Thursday for this reason, and when I remonstrated (politely) with the other cyclist and asked him to give warning when overtaking, I was told to 'keep my line' and 'learn to ride a bike'. !
I understand the customary response is to call him a "farking chopper" and "bloody Wiggo-wannabe" ;)

More seriously, check behind occasionally and signal if you have to move off the left side (either the weirdo Brutish Cycling pointing across your back that people mistake for accessing jersey pockets or scratching one's arris:
HAND_SIGNAL1.1422361291.jpg

or the more intuitive 45 degree arm with flat hand). I agree that they should use their bells (two rings for warning) as they start the overtake, but few do.

For further avoidance of doubt I was referring to riding on the road, where you should generally overtake on the right.

I don't use shared use paths much.
Similar rules apply to cycle tracks but with no motorists around, it doesn't really matter much. We're nicer than them.

btw, while I do sometimes say "Hello" it is never, ever, cheery. "Cheery" is just not something I do. ;)
Are you another midlander then? :laugh:

Lee_M

Guru
I shout "bike behind" if I'm coming up fast on someone to give them warning, then "on your right" just before I go past.

8mph is a bit of a slow pace though (nothing wrong with that in itself) so I would suggest a bar mirror to help you anticipate people coming

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Are they passing too close?

noodle%20-%20161021-73587.jpg

mjr

Rude, aggressive cyclists are the main reason why I've never joined a club. I don't want to ride with people like them.
With the exception of some notorious clubs, rude aggressive cyclists don't last long in a club as far as I can tell, because it tends not to be long before they're aggressive to too many people.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
the weirdo Brutish Cycling pointing across your back that people mistake for accessing jersey pockets or scratching one's arris

Tbh, I wouldn't normally use this one when riding solo - no guarantee that the following rider will be familiar with it, although its meaning is self-evident. I can't imagine what you're doing for the gesture to be mistaken for bum-scratching!

In any case, I agree that some kind of hand signal if you're moving off your line (whether turning or just avoiding a hazard) is definitely a good idea - it makes it clear to the following rider that it's not a good idea to overtake right now.

mjr

Tbh, I wouldn't normally use this one when riding solo - no guarantee that the following rider will be familiar with it, although its meaning is self-evident.
Self-evident, because nothing says "obstruction on the left" like pointing right behind one's back? :crazy:

I can't imagine what you're doing for the gesture to be mistaken for bum-scratching!
They weren't looking straight at the signal... people tend not to ride along staring at the bums of people they don't know... or at least, they don't admit it! :laugh:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Self-evident, because nothing says "obstruction on the left" like pointing right behind one's back? :crazy:

I've never had trouble understanding it but YMMV.

Anyway, the main reason to use that gesture rather than sticking your right hand out is to avoid mistaking it for indicating to turn right. It's extremely useful when riding in a close-formed group. Maybe not so useful in other situations - like I said, I wouldn't use it when riding solo.

mjr

Anyway, the main reason to use that gesture rather than sticking your right hand out is to avoid mistaking it for indicating to turn right. It's extremely useful when riding in a close-formed group. Maybe not so useful in other situations - like I said, I wouldn't use it when riding solo
Yeah, the sloping arm being mistaken for a right-turn isn't as serious when riding solo because at least it still deters most people from trying to overtake just then!

Top Bottom