Cover letter and CV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BarryP

Sorry, just spotted this and imagine it is far too late. For summer jobs, I think the content is all there, but it's in the wrong order...These things are always pretty subjective however I would consider...

1.) Background (at top as current version)
2.) Skills next, but swap "I am a reliable..." above the other para
3.) Work experience
4.) Education
5.) Interests
6.) References

Just my opinion

...and good luck. Things have a way of working themselves out

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Sorry, haven't read the full five pages, but in essence your CV should summarise your appropriate skills & experience for the post (ie. tailor it to each application) while your covering letter should explain why you specifically want to work for that company.

Thanks.

Well I had the intervew, was informal, 3 people, one a rather attractive lass in her 20's who is in the selby area too and was a vollunteer and managed to get a proper job with em.

They said when can I start, I said anytime, down side is might take up weekends which means more cycling but mostly on my own rather than club runs.

They said it's best if you try do various things and move around more so more people know you so I'm going to do that and try work as hard as I can and impress them if I get a place.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Good for you Willhub. And as a friend of mine's mum used to say, 'good work is never wasted'. Whatever you do, you're gaining experience, you're demonstrating get-up-and-go, you're showing how you can turn up on time and get on with people, and so on and so on. You'll enjoy it too. Go for it.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I think it is an excellent idea to be a volunteer for the first time somewhere large. They usually have a Volunteer Co-ordinator or a similar name. They will be familiar with what's it like to be a volunteer. As they say, try various things, within the same organisation. If they like you they might be willing to give you a reference (after you have been there a while) or a job might come up, for holidays etc.

You could explain about the cycling and ask if you could do Saturdays or Sundays, but not both. As a volunteer if you have a long Club cycle ride that you defiinitely want to do, let them know well in advance.

Well done, and good luck. :sad:

Just two small pieces of advice. Work hard by all means, but do not exhaust yourself. Take the breaks that you are offered, and have a proper lunch break. Ask questions if you are not sure what they are expecting you to do. You could ask the young lady, who has also recently been a volunteer.

Btw, just out of interest, did you find this on the Do-it.org site?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
willhub said:
Thanks.

Yea I found it on that site, then emailed them and they sent me a form.

I am pleased you found it useful. I have suggested that site to a couple of people, but not heard back whether they were successful.

I got the position :laugh:

9AM on Tuesday at the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust in York, going to be organising some event that will be held on Wednesday in Selby :biggrin:.

It's going to be a 12 mileish commute for me there, I'll do it in me cycling kit, change there, unsure if I'll use my main bike, I might get my dad to take me in the car the first time just so I'm aware of the surroundings.

I really hope this will help me get a job in Manchester when I go back.

Top Bottom