COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Interesting piece on the news tonight, a study in Brasil has shown that by having the flu jab you can reduce the chances of dying from Covid by about 20%. Apparently the flu jab is 'practice' for the immune system,

Glad I finally had my flu jab a couple of weeks ago!

Kajjal

Guru
Reporting from France suggests if you have already had COVID one dose of vaccine will produce the desired result. The practical value of this if accurate would be seen at country level after the first doses even if some people don’t know they have had COVID.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Reporting from France
Giving more info and a source for @Kajjal's spot:
France24 - France-recommends-single-vaccine-shot-for-people-who-have-had-covid-19 But NB this is an opinion, and not yet government policy.
Haute Autorité de Santé France said that people who had already been infected with Covid-19 develop an immune response similar to that bestowed by a vaccine dose, and that a single dose after infection would likely suffice.
They recommended a gap of between three and six months after infection before individuals who had recovered from Covid-19 receive a jab.
Quasi-efficasie?
Will be interesting to see how they administer that. Or maybe it's trying to cut into the vaccine hesitancy element whose rationale is 'I've had it so why would I need a vaccine?'.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
which is brilliant but how many in groups 1 to 4 are left to do?
If you find out, do share. I know you're dying to.
Could you also find out what percentage have been offered one and the unable/refuse rate, please?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that even if 100% have been offered a jab, a percentage (?<10%) of Gps 1-4 will not have been vaccinated by 15 Feb so, by that assessment the government sponsored vaccination programme will have failed.;)
In addition to Gps 1-4, wouldn't be surprised if getting on for a million from Gps 5/6 have been vaccinated (CoP Fri 12 Feb).

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
On our local facebook group seems that 65 year olds are now being vaccinated
This is certainly the situation in the northwest. Myself and many friends**, all over 65, booked our first and second jabs yesterday. The majority of us are covered by the same health authority but I know a few outside the area who booked on Friday.

NHS Covid Booking shows over 65s, vulnerable with letter and frontline workers can now book without an invitation.

My nearest centre is Blackburn Cathedral and time slots showed as available from this afternoon through to February 21st. I'm booked for February 18th and May 6th. I was waiting for a Covid 19 test result so decided to put off my vaccination until I got this - I'm negative, found out this morning!!

The process of booking and receiving a Covid test was very, very simple. As part of the C-19 study I reported symptoms on Wednesday and Thursday. Got an email overnight Thursday offering a test. On Friday morning I went online at 09.15 to book a test and was offered a slot at 10.30 five miles from home. I received my, negative, result at 06.15 this morning.

Booking the vaccination was very simple and efficient. Both systems worked extremely well. I can't fault this.

** Word spread in our little village like wildfire. Everyone over 65 has booked in the space of a few hours.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
NHS Covid Booking shows over 65s, vulnerable with letter and frontline workers can now book.
Booking the vaccination was very simple and efficient. Both systems worked extremely well. I can't fault this.
** Word spread in our little village like wildfire. Everyone over 65 has booked in the space of a few hours.
Edit: Sounds like they're trying to get 'pull', at least on-line. Although this may discriminate against those who are not IT literate(ish) or aware. Since someone needs to be registered with a GP, that may encourage those who aren't to get on and register. @SpokeyDokey needs to shift his birthday, pronto.
The link will sweep up Over 65s but not those in Gp 6.
I think there's going to be some angst later this month on the ins and outs of qualification / eligibility for inclusion in JCVI Gp 6:
"all individuals aged 16 years[footnote 2] to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality[footnote 3]"
Laugh :laugh: was for last sentence, @PaulSB

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
All my friends are banging the doors down for a vaccination. I only know one person who won't have it. She also refused pain relief when she broke both wrists! :eek:

To be serious though the uptake in my social circle is 100% bar one person. We are all retired, the vast majority over 60 and everyone is totally on board with being vaccinated. We literally are excited........gives us a day out you see!

Venod

Eh up
One observation from yesterday's jab was how efficient and smooth the whole process was, and it will get slicker as they get down the age groups, there were still one or two people with age related mobility issues which slows them down.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
and it will get slicker as they get down the age groups,

I fear the reverse may happen.

Much of the success depends not on the infrastructure, but on patients' willingness to comply.

As has been observed by others, those of us who are too ill or too old to work have nothing better to do than sort our vaccines.

Hence there's been a high booking rate and no complaints about queuing, even in bad weather, not that I had to.

Younger people tend to be less compliant, not least because they have other things on their plates in terms of careers and families.

Thus there will be more who don't turn up, or complain about having to wait, all of which hampers the process.

The priority list could also be seen as a reverse ski slope of vaccine take up - it's the younger people who tend to be more resistant to being vaccinated.

All of which makes achieving a fast and high percentage take up of the lower priority groups harder to do.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I suspect there's been a surge this last week to get 'over the line' for the 15 Feb 'offer' target.
I think there's a possibility that supply profiles UK-wide have been designed for that with the corollary that supplies for the next week or so will mean the vaccination rate (per day) will be lower for the second half of February (but picks up again in March).
If we look at the supply revealed last month 'in error' by the SNP, that gives an idea (previously shared 4 weeks ago):
1613214743298.png

They're going to need more Pfizer (than shown) in mid-late March to give the 20 Dec - 10 Jan cohort their second jab.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Edit: Sounds like they're trying to get 'pull', at least on-line. Although this may discriminate against those who are not IT literate(ish) or aware. Since someone needs to be registered with a GP, that may encourage those who aren't to get on and register. @SpokeyDokey needs to shift his birthday, pronto.
The link will sweep up Over 65s but not those in Gp 6.
I think there's going to be some angst later this month on the ins and outs of qualification / eligibility for inclusion in JCVI Gp 6:
"all individuals aged 16 years[footnote 2] to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality[footnote 3]"
You are absolutely correct about the need to be IT literate and of course able to access IT. This has long been a hobby horse of mine in many diverse areas of life "oh you just need to go online at" isn't true for some

There are reports some at risk groups have currently been omitted from the current round of vaccination. This includes some forms of asthma, my wife in our case, but GPs have the discretion to add individual patients to the group.

Julia9054

Guru

Much of the success depends not on the infrastructure, but on patients' willingness to comply.

As has been observed by others, those of us who are too ill or too old to work have nothing better to do than sort our vaccines.

Hence there's been a high booking rate and no complaints about queuing, even in bad weather, not that I had to.

Younger people tend to be less compliant, not least because they have other things on their plates in terms of careers and families.

Thus there will be more who don't turn up, or complain about having to wait, all of which hampers the process.

The priority list could also be seen as a reverse ski slope of vaccine take up - it's the younger people who tend to be more resistant to being vaccinated.

All of which makes achieving a fast and high percentage take up of the lower priority groups harder to do.
Add into that the willingness of employers to allow workers to miss work time and especially those who don't get paid if they are not at work. Those with precarious contracts tend to be poorer and therefore more at risk and exactly the groups we need to reach.

Reactions: C R

midlife

Guru

You may be right, I wonder what levers the government have in store to drive vaccinations. No vaccine no haircut / pub visit / Hotel reservation etc ? Back to some sort of vaccine passport again.....

Top Bottom