COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is there a correlation between leavers and anti-vaxers? Seems it.

That's a new one to add to the list.

Not only are leavers stupid, gullible, knuckle dragging racists stuck in dreams of the Empire, but, damn them, they are also anti-vaccination.

I can only speak authoritatively for one leaver - me - and I've been Pfizered.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There are 9 protected characteristics where you can claim discrimination, "no Covid vaccination" is not on the list.

It doesn't have to be on the list. All you need is to be able to claim discrimination as one of the others. Employers are going to run a mile from this, along with any business providing goods & services. You think this won't happen? The ambulance chasers are always on the lookout for the next tranche of business. They'll lie low for a good few months yet, because in the current climate it would be bad PR, but when it calms down later in the year the lawyers will be out with a vengeance; "were you refused work or service due to your beliefs not to have a vaccine?" and "did your employer endanger your safety by making you come into contact with others who may have had the virus at work"?
Business are treading on eggshells ATM. Loads of people on my job have had way more time off work than they would normally get away with. Most of them would ordinarily be on a warning for excessive absences by now. Any case of a sniffle or possible virus contact (real or made up) and its "don't come in, you better stay at home on full pay" No questions asked. I could have an extra couple of weeks off anytime I fancy it to do some DIY if I tell them I might have been in contact with the virus, and nobody will bat an eyelid. They're all covering their arses. The unproductive wage costs they will happily swallow this year, they don't want a legal claims time bomb going off in future.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I won't be bothering to have it, once they start offering it to the lower age groups. I'm just not that concerned about the virus. Half the population will have either had the vaccine or the virus itself, by the end of March anyway. There won't be so much virus circulating around, and a high proportion of the population will have some level of immunity, so there will be less and less benefit going forward in bothering to get the vaccine.

Nobody is forcing you to have it........ I presume you don’t bother with any vaccinations for anything preventative ? I think this is going to be around for a while a long time indeed and if you want to get back to Wetherspoons for your burger and pint you might need to take the hit !

midlife

Guru
I won't be bothering to have it, once they start offering it to the lower age groups. I'm just not that concerned about the virus. Half the population will have either had the vaccine or the virus itself, by the end of March anyway. There won't be so much virus circulating around, and a high proportion of the population will have some level of immunity, so there will be less and less benefit going forward in bothering to get the vaccine.

Long term planning for my service is above my pay grade but they are looking at a good level of population (herd) immunity in 4-5 years.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Nobody is forcing you to have it........ I presume you don’t bother with any vaccinations for anything preventative ?

I haven't had any kind of vaccination since I was still at school. I had a really nasty virus of some sort in the 96/97 New Year that put me out of action for nearly a week, then nothing much until March 2020 when I got a dose of what I strongly suspect was the Coronavirus. It didn't make me as ill as the previous 96/97 episode though. Someone has said to me I might have had the Bird Flu 24 years ago, although it seems a bit far-fetched. It's rare for anything to really knock me out though, but that 96/97 virus did.

Long term planning for my service is above my pay grade but they are looking at a good level of population (herd) immunity in 4-5 years.

Surely the most important factor in immunity is who is immune not how many? Within a month the vast majority of high risk people with likely bad reactions to the coronavirus will be at least partly if not fully immune. Why would it matter if the low risk population is susceptible, since only a small number of those are ever likely to be hospitalised or die? It's quite conceivable to have a substantial ongoing number of coronavirus cases happening for some time to come without it making very many people seriously ill, in which case the presence of the virus doesn't matter. There are loads of viruses around us all the time. We don't obsess about them.

Last edited:
All my friends are banging the doors down for a vaccination. I only know one person who won't have it. She also refused pain relief when she broke both wrists! :eek:

To be serious though the uptake in my social circle is 100% bar one person. We are all retired, the vast majority over 60 and everyone is totally on board with being vaccinated. We literally are excited........gives us a day out you see!
Surely going seriously stir crazy paul if you're looking forward to a trip to blackburn that much. Especially as the cathedral spoons will be shut.
(Excellent outdoor shop in blackburn though probs shut as well i suppose)

Last edited:
I will join you on that hobby horse if, in the words of Rolf Harris, there's room for two.

My vaccine invitation was sent via a text with a specific to me hyperlink to the booking site.

Fine if you can touch on it and enter text on a relatively small smartphone, but my phone doesn't do hyperlinks, so I had to transcribe the long link into my web browser.

I coped, manfully, but the majority of elderly people I know wouldn't get past first base without help.
My mum's health centre regularly sends texts starting hello followed by nothing much but a hyperlink. Then she has to call me to see what the hell it is about. Makes me wonder if the health centre needs a visit. Fortunately they are sending covid jab info by simple text.

Reactions: mjr

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Having the vaccination has been proven to reduce the transmission - that's what I'm more bothered by - I'd rather not pass the virus onto someone more vulnerable.

I saw something on twitter about freedom of information requests going to local NHS Trusts asking how many folk have actually died of covid, and because it's not that high, these idiots think it's not a thing (covid). No, most folk who have covid, don't die of it, but multiple other issues that are a result of the virus, e.g organ failure, pneumonia, heart attack, stroke.

I just want to get back to normal ASAP.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
This is one thing I don't get either. It's not just about how many died. It's about the ones who spent weeks in the ICU, or a week at home gasping for breath and with heart palpitations, or the ones who had a rough couple of weeks with it last year and still feel awful. I'm pretty sure I would survive it but I might pass it to someone who won't or who will be very ill.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I saw something on twitter about freedom of information requests going to local NHS Trusts asking how many folk have actually died of covid, and because it's not that high, these idiots think it's not a thing

I'm pretty unfazed about the virus personally, but I've never gone for all the conspiracy theory stuff that says the virus is "fake news", because clearly it is 100% real. All the stuff about it being invented by the government to control people or secretly beamed around by British Telecom using their microwave transmitters, is really bizarre. :rolleyes:

Reactions: mjr

C R

Guru
This is one thing I don't get either. It's not just about how many died. It's about the ones who spent weeks in the ICU, or a week at home gasping for breath and with heart palpitations, or the ones who had a rough couple of weeks with it last year and still feel awful. I'm pretty sure I would survive it but I might pass it to someone who won't or who will be very ill.
The point these people miss is that the numbers are "low" because we have been under significant restrictions to curb transmission of the virus. Look at the US to see what happens when restrictions are lifted too soon, or not there in the first place.

Top Bottom