COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I mean that there's older people than me still waiting.
You have a condition that puts you in a group, which is something that is out of your control. It's been decide by someone else for you.

Think of it as seeking to keep you out of the need for more intensive treatment.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
After a very slow start in East Suffolk (the local hospital didn't have the appropriate freezer facilities until a couple of weeks after they started elsewhere) things have picked up remarkably quickly. My 79 year old mother & stepfather had their first jabs on the 26th February and I have mine next Thursday which is less than 4 weeks later (only just turned 56).

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I had the AZ vaccine today. All very quick and efficient. I mentioned I'd heard stories of long queues at my centre. The nurse said this was because the previous age group like to arrive early "just in case!" I started to feel a bit tired around 5.00pm but don't now at 10.00pm. Could be life, could be the vaccine.

One thing which took me by surprise was the question:

"Have you had any Covid related symptoms in the last 28 days?"

For me the answer was "Yes" and my test result last Friday was negative. This lead to a five minute chat with medical staff before admin was given the OK to book me in. If this is a potential problem I'm surprised the question isn't asked when one makes the online booking.

Svendo

Guru
I got my AZ vaccine on 5th Feb. I’m 49 with no health issues but am a frontline health and social care worker with homeless people. Rochdale Borough has included us in the group 2. They injected the same side I’d crashed on the Friday before; I didn’t want to be unable to sleep on both sides! I didn’t have any major side effects, and no soreness at the injection site. I was already full of paracetamol and ibuprofen and with the head injury can’t say what caused the soreness and mild shivers. I’d been cold n shivery all day the day before you see. I got my next spot in April, 10 weeks later, as I left the infirmary.
Mrs Svendo, also a H&SC worker has been offered but is still occasionally breast feeding our youngest; we’re hoping to self-wean her but are discussing forcing the issue to enable vaccination.

C R

Guru
Could have been negative if they‘d recorded it as 6.2m on the flip side :biggrin:
Strictly BMI is never negative, it would just be very small but still positive.

Reactions: mjr

Ajax Bay

Guru
"COVID-19: Pfizer vaccine is up to 85% effective after first dose, new Israeli study finds | World News | Sky News"
Here is the Lancet paper:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00448-7/fulltext
An easy, persuasive read with few significant caveats. Here's hoping. Points out the implicit merit of extending the gap beyond 21 days. I wonder if other countries will recognise the merit and the potential to save lives?
Next bits in jigsaw will be:
* an early assessment of the effect on vaccination on virus transmissibility (by vaccinated but then infected but asymptomatics)
* similar data/deductions on the Oxford-AZ vaccine's effectiveness.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
BBC More or Less this week mentioned the vaccine target in a brief item just to say, basically, that the data collected isn't detailed enough to decide whether either version of the target was met!

midlife

Guru
Eldest son in his 20's been sent invite for vaccine in Lancaster next Thursday. Type 1 diabetic since young. Been on his own working from home since first lockdown.....

Someone pointed me at the vaccine statistics from John Hopkins university today. According to them Germany isn't doing as badly as I thought: the UK is looking more effective because they are publicising the numbers of people who had the first vaccine, but the total number of fully vaccinated people in the UK is 0.86% compared to Germany at 1.97% and the EU as a whole running at 1.64%.

It's interesting that Italy and Spain as well as a lot of eastern European countries like Romania and Lithuania have the highest rates of full vaccination. Germany could certainly do a lot better, but I was under the impression that it had barely vaccinated anyone at all.

Top Bottom