COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
There's no guarantee that after vaccination you cannot be a carrier, hence the current requirement to self isolate. Requirement to self isolate might change with more data

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Riddle me this a colleague has just messaged me to say he has to isolate for 10 days along with this wife . Due to son testing positive with flu like symptoms?! They have all had the Pfizer vaccine. Albeit only the son has had the first dose , they have had two doses as both work in care. Not seeing a way out here folks ? Seems an inevitability that the rona well infect everyone eventually . :sad:

After the vaccine you don't get it as bad if you do get it.

Wife's friend feeling very fatigued after her daughter brought it in.

My nephew is 28 and he get's his next week - no health conditions. We can only presume that both neice and nephew have regular heart check-ups as their dad has congenital heart issues at 60 so the docs check the rest of the family. He's not been called up yet ! Different practice though.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
There's no guarantee that after vaccination you cannot be a carrier, hence the current requirement to self isolate. Requirement to self isolate might change with more data

Yes absolutely.

Although in the US, if you've had both vaccinations and come into close contact with someone positive guidance is significantly different there than here now, you can forgo isolation.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Riddle me this a colleague has just messaged me to say he has to isolate for 10 days along with this wife . Due to son testing positive with flu like symptoms?! They have all had the Pfizer vaccine. Albeit only the son has had the first dose , they have had two doses as both work in care. Not seeing a way out here folks ? Seems an inevitability that the rona well infect everyone eventually . :sad:
When did the son have his first dose though?
If less than 2-3 weeks then not particularly surprising.

vickster

Legendary Member
Vaccination doesn’t stop you catching it however, makes it less likely you’ll be hospitalised or will die

Reactions: C R

lane

Veteran
When did the son have first dose? Takes three weeks to be fully effective so being infected in approx. 5 week window - two weeks before / 3 weeks after the vaccine won't save you. Thereafter with Pfizer still a low 15% chance of infection.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Riddle me this a colleague has just messaged me to say he has to isolate for 10 days along with this wife . Due to son testing positive with flu like symptoms?! They have all had the Pfizer vaccine. Albeit only the son has had the first dose
. . . in January. Hard to see an end to this unless we all build up antibodies
After the first dose, even after 20 days, the trials and the data recently out of Israel suggest 89% efficacy/effectiveness.
If 89% IS the protection effectiveness (more datasets inbound) then of 100 vaccinated (Pfizer) more than 20 days ago [Edit: who would have caught C19], 11 will catch C19. But as @vickster says, serious illness very unlikely. I guess your colleague's son is one of those '11'.
Everyone who's previously 'had' C19 will have antibodies, the level of which will decay over time. In addition all those vaccinated will also have built up antibodies. So by 21 August, (if target met) all UK adults (?over 16) will have protection (but NB percentage varies depending on one/two doses (all Gps 1-9 will have had two doses) and whether Pfizer, Oxford-AZ or Moderna. Except the 10+% who are either unable or unwilling to be vaccinated.
Well before then we should have reached herd immunity. When depends on, inter alia, the NPI measures still in place, the retention of antibodies in those infected last year, and the reduced transmission R (yet to be shown) of vaccinated but infected individuals.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If 89% IS the protection effectiveness (more datasets inbound) then of 100 vaccinated (Pfizer) more than 20 days ago, 11 will catch C19.
...of 100 vaccinated who would have caught C19....
Well before then we should have reached herd immunity. When depends on, inter alia, the NPI measures still in place,
National Provider Identifier?!?

And "inter alia" is not English!

the retention of antibodies in those infected last year, and the reduced transmission R (yet to be shown) of vaccinated but infected individuals.
One theory is that the virus only lodges in the throat of vaccinated people, not getting into the blood and multiplying as much. We will have to wait and see if that proves true and its effect on R.

marinyork

Well if herd immunity effects start coming in over the summer, we'll get an idea if it's possible so early long before then because Israel are on the lookout for whether it's happening in March there. I think it's a bit optimistic at 70%, but let's hope it does.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Target announced today of all adults offered a jab by end July depends on:
Maintaining vaccination rate at close to 400k per day and a (reasonable if regrettable) expectation that take-up rate will be less than 90% overall.
Daily vaccinations is now averaging about 370k/day over the last week. Hancock should act now if he wants to hit that target. Not that it will be possible to tell unless they collect more data or it is a big miss.

marinyork

Daily vaccinations is now averaging about 370k/day over the last week. Hancock should act now if he wants to hit that target. Not that it will be possible to tell unless they collect more data or it is a big miss.

From a political, not medical point of view I find it amusing. It pleases me as I'm in that and July sounds much better than September or 'Autumn'. Similarly papers have speculated Boris may allow some pubs to very partially open on 29th March. Politically, March sound brilliant to the voters.

I wish the politicians would stop dancing around the 2nd jab slowdown. They will hit the over 50s target likely, but it's what happens after that that is more worrying.

Anecdotally we do know that some of the mass vaccination centres seem to have quite a lot of capacity going spare which when you go down the age groups may be easier to utilise, but so far nothing much said on if this is one of the reasons why the NHS is so bullish.

Reactions: C R

midlife

Guru
My redeployment to the vaccine hub tomorrow has been cancelled and I'm back doing my regular work. Not been told why but its either

1. Run out of vaccine
2. Run out of people to vaccinate
3. Money is there to buy in locum and bank staff instead of redeployment.

I'm hoping it's number 3

Ajax Bay

Guru
...of 100 vaccinated who would have caught C19....
National Provider Identifier?!?
And "inter alia" is not English!
Daily vaccinations is now averaging about 370k/day over the last week. Hancock should act now
You are correct: I didn't get it right. Thank you for spotting.
Here: " If 89% IS the protection effectiveness (more datasets inbound) then of 100 vaccinated (Pfizer) more than 20 days ago who would have caught C19, statistically 11 will catch C19."
Non-pharmaceutical Interventions - I thought 'NPI' might pique your interest: thank you for not disappointing me.
"actions, apart from getting vaccinated and taking medicine, that people and communities can take to help slow the spread of illnesses"
'inter alia' is a Latin phrase which is in common English usage - please add it to your vocab. et cetera.
I have suggested why the rate of vaccination has taken a dip (weighting supply into the late Jan / early Feb period to hit the 15 Feb target). There are more than 5 months to the end of July so I don't think there's any urgency that "Hancock should act now". The excellent vaccination programme has shown that, with supply, it can manage well over 400k a day. And that will be more than enough (as I sought to show with the figures I shared). Anyway, what ad hoc actions do you think "Hancock" should take "now", exactly (or even vaguely)?
I'd say that a key action is to engage those communities who are, for whatever reasons, found to be more hesitant and offer them factual, consumable and persuasive communications, either directly or through community leaders. This will have no significant effect on the main figures and the 'end of July' 'offered' target. But we owe it to those elements in society.

Last edited:
Top Bottom