COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Vaccination booking now opened to 56 and over as of this morning. Looks to be 11 days after it opened for 60 and over. So 50 and over from 17th March?
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coron...rus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
Anyone know why the previous established groups (75 to 80, 70 to 75, 65 to 70, 60 to 65, 55 to 60 etc etc) has somehow become 56+ and not 55+ ?
From the link MtM shared:
Who can use this service
You can only use this service if any of the following apply:
  • you are aged 55 or over
JCVI Groups:
6. all individuals aged 16 years[footnote 2] to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality[footnote 3]
7 all those 60 years of age and over
8 all those 55 years of age and over
9 all those 50 years of age and over

Last edited:
Many thanks @Ajax Bay , just booked myself in for March 13th. 55 and over as you say.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Reuters: Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine was able to neutralize a new variant of the coronavirus spreading rapidly in Brazil, according to a laboratory study published in the New England Journal of Medicine yesterday (8 Mar).
"Blood taken from people who had been given the vaccine neutralized an engineered version of the virus that contained the same mutations carried on the spike portion of the highly contagious P.1 variant first identified in Brazil, the study conducted by scientists from the companies and the University of Texas Medical Branch found."
Paper published in NEJM.
They also tested against the B.1.351 (SA) and B.1.1.7 (Kent) variants. Compared with neutralization of the 'original' (prevalent in USA in April) variant, "neutralization of B.1.1.7-spike and P.1-spike viruses was roughly equivalent, and neutralization of B.1.351-spike virus was robust but lower."
Good news!

Getting my vaccination today after registering on about 10 different sites. Getting your shot over here is something of a crap shoot and I'm only getting mine today because a neighbour happened to be on a local pharmacy website midnight last week when the site posted they had available appointments. My daughter who's 16 has already had both of her shots, and my wife hopes to get hers next month.

There's no central planning for vaccine role out, just a bunch of distributors (hospitals, ER's, pharmacies, city hall, etc) you have to call to register for a shot.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Eldest daughter had the AZ on Saturday morning. 24 hours after the jab she was feeling very smug, as her Mum, sister and myself had all felt rough at some stage in the post 24 hour period. Then wallop and laid up in bed for 8 hours.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Son's is effectively Group 6, Type 1 diabetic, no sign yet, but he's unlikely to be poorly if he get's covid.

Ajax Bay

Guru
One thing gleaned from the SPI-M paper effectively commissioned by the UK Goverment to inform the best way of easing lockdown (linked and commented on in the main C19 thread) is the vaccine rollout they were asked/told to assume:
"Rollout assumptions are significantly quicker: a large increase from current rates [as at paper's 7 Feb when they were ~3M a week] to 4m doses per week from 22 March." This has been heralded previously but this is the first time I've seen it quantified. If the programme can achieve 4M per week, that means the 40s (7M) will get their first jab early than they expect. Here's my graph on that basis (NB 32M = JCVI Gps 1-9 complete, 53M = all adults O/18):
1615299545145.png

This will then allow us to vaccinate all those of school age (~11M) before the start of [edited for clarity] the autumn term, if the trials already under way go OK.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
One thing gleaned from the SPI-M paper effectively commissioned by the UK Goverment to inform the best way of easing lockdown (linked and commented on in the main C19 thread) is the vaccine rollout they were asked/told to assume:
"Rollout assumptions are significantly quicker: a large increase from current rates [as at paper's 7 Feb when they were ~3M a week] to 4m doses per week from 22 March." This has been heralded previously but this is the first time I've seen it quantified. If the programme can achieve 4M per week, that means the 40s (7M) will get their first jab early than they expect. Here's my graph on that basis (NB 32M = JCVI Gps 1-9 complete, 53M = all adults O/18):
View attachment 577802
This will then allow us to vaccinate all those of school age (~11M) before the start of term, if the trials already under way go OK.
Most schools started going back yesterday, for the current term.

johnblack

Über Member
Getting my vaccination today after registering on about 10 different sites. Getting your shot over here is something of a crap shoot and I'm only getting mine today because a neighbour happened to be on a local pharmacy website midnight last week when the site posted they had available appointments. My daughter who's 16 has already had both of her shots, and my wife hopes to get hers next month.

There's no central planning for vaccine role out, just a bunch of distributors (hospitals, ER's, pharmacies, city hall, etc) you have to call to register for a shot.
I mentioned it on here a couple of weeks ago, my Aunt and Uncle are in Manhattan, 70 & 65, both in cancer remission and are finding it almost impossible to get vaccinated. Having to register with different websites and distributors, they can't believe it is so chaotic and when I explained the process here they were impressed.

Top Bottom