COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sure. Firstly, your chance of getting through the booking app before it crashed is a function of many things, including your broadband speed, which is linked to your location.
Is it? I, and many others waited on being told we were now eligible for the jab, via a letter. No booking through the site or 119.
Secondly, the chance of appointments that I could reach is a function of many things, including how many vaccination centres I can access, which again is linked to location (because they are not completely proportionately distributed) and transport links definitely aren't uniform yet either.
I was given the choice of five time slots, but only the nearest location. Earlier problems meant I was expecting anywhere. Still reached via public transport, taking the better part of an hour and more than one service. Direct link was removed ten years ago.
Now, I benefit from the setup of this lottery because I live next to an industrial park (so fast broadband), on a main road with cycleway (so good transport links), between four medium-sized market towns (so good choice of vaccination centres), but I can still see that this is a postcode lottery, not fair and wasting resources. While I just went to my nearest town, there was an over-50 in the queue near me who had travelled hours from the other side of a city for an available appointment.
Whose resources?
From what little I know, safe storage, of the vaccine, is the important part.

You benefited from the setup, but the setup is wrong.
That is not necessary for it to be a postcode lottery.
Why not. You're saying it's location based(postcode), not aged based.
I think the vaccination booking app unfairness is not particularly age-related. I know we need a system but it seems to be basically first come first served once opened to each age group and your chance of being "first come" is linked to where you live in at least two ways. It feels like another dud NHS app.
Why didn't you just wait to be informed. The same as a few million others had to.
Just checked and it gives you two options, via the site, not app, or via 119.
I'm surprised someone didn't contract it out to something like meetup or eventbrite! But if they had, maybe we would have got unlucky and it would have been contracted to the operator of one of those dreadful sportive booking apps. At least the NHS one was simple enough it was possible to get through quickly...
Why this obsession with apps.
In this case it's a website of a telephone call. Or wait until you receive the letter. Suppose you still had to wait for that letter, no booking and being told where you'd to turn up.

And yes, I am aware of what I posted earlier with regards myself. But it started and ended there for me. The risks outweigh the benefits in my view. I'll not be wasting the time of those in an A&E department or the ambulance service again.

Last edited:

IaninSheffield

Veteran
post_vaccine_social_scheduling.png

Ajax Bay

Guru
Having checked back a couple of days, we didn't seem to celebrate the UK's vaccination programme hitting its second major target: offering [and 19 out of 20 giving] a jab to all those in JCVI Groups 1-9, which includes all adults over 50 as well as those under 50 but clinically extremely vulnerable, those with underlying health conditions (and their carers), and health and social care workers. Hurrah!
The PM said: "We have now passed another hugely significant milestone in our vaccine programme by offering jabs to everyone in the nine highest risk groups. That means more than 32 million people have been given the precious protection vaccines provide against Covid-19.
I want to thank everyone involved in the vaccine rollout, which has already saved many thousands of lives*. We will now move forward with completing essential second doses and making progress towards our target of offering all adults a vaccine by the end of July."
* Although not nearly as many thousands as the Jan -Mar lockdown.
Next target is to give a first jab to all adults by the end of July. By my calculations this is a 'soft' target, but I guess it allows room to cater for bumps on the road.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is it? I, and many others waited on being told we were now eligible for the jab, via a letter. No booking through the site or 119.
Maybe that's how it worked then. The announcement on the news this week was quite clear that we should now go to www.nhs.uk and book, if we didn't already have a GP invitation. I guess that's where the capacity was now, which seems backed up by them having appointments available for yesterday.

Whose resources?
Does it matter? It's all avoidable economic damage.

You benefited from the setup, but the setup is wrong.
I'm glad we agree.

Why not. You're saying it's location based(postcode), not aged based.
No, I was saying it's location-based as well.

Why didn't you just wait to be informed. The same as a few million others had to.
Because that wasn't the announcement I heard. I do often do what I'm told by the NHS!

Just checked and it gives you two options, via the site, not app, or via 119.
There is an app powering the booking site. Really, the distinction between websites and apps these days is not as significant as a few posters here seem to think.

In this case it's a website of a telephone call. Or wait until you receive the letter. Suppose you still had to wait for that letter, no booking and being told where you'd to turn up.
Then I suppose I would have continued waiting and it would be more difficult to spot any location-based unfairness.

[...] The risks outweigh the benefits in my view. I'll not be wasting the time of those in an A&E department or the ambulance service again.
No necessary use of A&E or ambulance is wasting their time, including yours. I do salute you for your decision despite how it turned out and I hope medics learned something from it so they can better advise people in future.

mjr

classic33

Leg End Member
Pfizer vaccine likely to need third dose and then yearly boosters: https://www.thejournal.ie/global-covid-19-5411811-Apr2021/

Of course, while this is a problem for the UK (it's been about 25% of our vaccine supply to date), it's a much bigger problem for the EU (around 70%).

There is also an interesting report of 18-29 attitudes to vaccination: https://www.theguardian.com/society...unsure-how-do-uk-under-30s-view-the-covid-jab
"Announced" quietly earlier this month by Pfizer.
Pfizer vaccine good for at least six months.
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...covid-19-vaccine-works-for-at-least-6-months/

The Moderna vaccine is similar.
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...-effective-for-at-least-6-months-study-shows/

Does this mean that it'll be a yearly jab required?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Pfizer vaccine likely to need third dose and then yearly boosters: https://www.thejournal.ie/global-covid-19-5411811-Apr2021/
Of course, while this is a problem for the UK (it's been about 25% of our vaccine supply to date), it's a much bigger problem for the EU (around 70%).
It's entirely likely that a pre-winter booster jab will be required, in particular for the more vulnerable section of the population (ie JCVI Gps 1-9). The need will be driven by viral-escape/vaccine-resist variants and/or immunity waning after x months. Also depends on the 'protection against disease' and the 'protection against infection/transmission' effect of the vaccine (evidence not yet mature).
There's been a maximum of 7 weeks since the second jab of the 10+ weeks apart cohort so we don't yet know what the protection longevity is. And the number who had two Pfizer doses 3 weeks apart was low: about 400k all double dosed by mid Jan (my mother among them). In July sampling will give an idea of how their protection is holding up. An additional complication is that 'waning' rate, at least post-infection, seems to be an individual thing with a wide range (from a study pre-published in October).
By the time an 'annual booster' is needed (indeed supply availability rather drives the timeline) (September perhaps in UK, before the October flu jab programme) we'll have evidence to confirm that using a vaccine of a different make (and edition) as a second or subsequent dose presents no jeopardy. And those doses will have been edited to be as effective as possible against the dominant virus variant (could be different for different countries/continents).
So this will neither be a problem for the EU nor the UK: I don't know where you deduce that from?
Report from your link: Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said that, after being fully vaccinated with a second dose . . . “A likely scenario is that there will be a need for a third dose, somewhere between six and 12 months and then from there, there will be an annual revaccination, but all of that needs to be confirmed."
This is a perfectly likely scenario - and the 'third dose' will be styled an annual booster to avoid FOMO in the section not offered a booster.
Can you link to the science/evidence which Pfizer's CEO bases his caveated deduction that a third dose is 'likely' (6-12 months)? I assume that the 30+k people in the Pfizer RCT Phase 3 trial last autumn will have been followed up so that will offer data. The two links @classic33 shared say "effective for at least 6 months" not 'becomes ineffective after 6 months'.
He did not suggest the booster vaccines needed to be the same make (although Pfizer is selling their vaccine at superb profit, unlike AZ (?and others) so there is commercial interest to create a demand for as many million doses as possible, preferably Pfizer!). The UK VTF have pre-ordered enough vaccines for 3 plus doses for all its 67M population.

Last edited:

mjr

So this will neither be a problem for the EU nor the UK: I don't know where you deduce that from?
1. This shoot (not only the vaccines but all the venues and volunteers and people taking time off to get vaccinated) ain't free.
2. With each extra round of vaccination, take-up drops, for a variety of reasons. I thought it was you posting doubts about whether we reach herd immunity but I don't have time to look back just now.

Can you link to the science/evidence which Pfizer's CEO bases his caveated deduction that a third dose is 'likely' (6-12 months)? I assume that the 30+k people in the Pfizer RCT Phase 3 trial last autumn will have been followed up so that will offer data.
Not now. Maybe you can ask him, or persuade one of the journalists to ask him.

The UK VTF have pre-ordered enough vaccines for 3 plus doses for all its 67M population.
And donated the surplus to COVAX, so each extra dose to UK residents is one less for COVAX.

Top Bottom