COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Good evening,

This is meant as a serious question.

This year sees my 60th birthday and I have never been registered with a GP as an adult and it seems that vaccine appointments are based on being registered with a GP.

I signed up for on-line self assessment for tax way back, pretty much as soon as it was possible and that database doesn't seem to be being used.

So I tried the online Book A Vaccine system but I got nowhere with it as it circles around enter your NHS number, you can find this on your correspondence with your GP or register with a GP.

I did try to register with a GP practice a while back and was told that as they couldn't find my non-existent previous GP records they couldn't register me.

Eventually I lost interest and I wonder just how rare people like me are?

The NHS seems to struggle with the concept of people not being registered with it and needing it on a regular basis. :-) This isn't a dig, as when I was lying unconscious in the middle of the road and blocking both lanes they sent out an ambulance and picked me and put me in an A&E department.

They didn't care about the number and gave me some wonderful drugs and I do feel sorry for the staff that had to clean up as I really, really didn't like something that they had given me. :-)

But equally they confirmed my reluctance to get further involved, as I had had a full body MRI scan they found a lesion on a lung and wanted to schedule/require me to take days of work for precautionary further scans. But it was not worth explaining why, I am the doctor so you will do as you are told.

As it stands the system won't offer me a jab, but it will tax me. :smile:

Bye

Ian
Were you also never registered as a child? Those practices should have your records?
If not, were you not born here/did you not spend your childhood in the U.K.?
Presumably you won’t get the routine screen for bowel cancer at 60? If so, Covid vaccine aside, you really should try to register again so you can get age related screens at least. As you get older, you’re more likely to need the NHS unless you plan to pay for everything privately

Last edited:

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Now try answering no and enjoy the next questions that Ian can't answer, as not registered with a gp.

:rolleyes:

@IanSmithCSE , follow my link, and just type in your name. You do not need the name of your GP.

I am going to take a punt here, and a massive leap, but I simply do not believe you have never been registered with a GP. So the name you put in will be the name you were registered with a GP with at some point in your life. Now, unless you are going to tell us you have never had a name and have no date of birth you should be sorted.

I also do not believe that you have lived your life with no contact with the NHS, so you have an NHS number. Actually, didn't you say that you have been treated in A&E? In that case you have an NHS number.

If that doesn't work, there is another way to find it out, don't worry.

I am thinking though that you are making this deliberately difficult. At least now you have the full backing of @mjr , who a couple of weeks ago was bemoaning how he had been thrown under the bus with regard to vaccination, now is moaning that the NHS is trying too hard to contact him.

Go through that form, see what happens. Just one other question, why have you waited so long to point all this out? You could have done all this and been jabbed sometime around early March.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I didn't have a GP from being a child to when I was about 50.

If I recall, my original records from the 1960s, quite reasonably, could not be found, so when I approached my current GP I may have had to 're-register'.

No idea if my current NHS number is a new one, but either way, the process with my current GP was not difficult.

However, as with all officialdom you do have to work with them to achieve the result you want.

Good morning

Thanks for the thoughts.
The NHS will send you your number if requested, usually by letter to your address. Or write to the hospital you were at asking for a copy of your discharge letter, that will have your number on it.
Nope, they were quite happy with recording no gp, although they did tag me as an armed forces patient.

@IanSmithCSE......I am going to take a punt here, and a massive leap, but I simply do not believe you have never been registered with a GP...............

I also do not believe that you have lived your life with no contact with the NHS,..........

Go through that form, see what happens. Just one other question, why have you waited so long to point all this out? You could have done all this and been jabbed sometime around early March.
[/QUOTE]
This is the point that I mentioned earlier, whether you believe it or not doesn't alter the fact that it is true.

I am not terribly stressed about receiving the vaccine and was just waiting for my turn. It's only nowish that it has become clear that the vaccine program is using only the GP registrations and not merging it with the Inland Revenue records which seemed to me to be an obvious thing to do.

.......However, as with all officialdom you do have to work with them to achieve the result you want.
I am one of those who is not bothered either way about having or not having the vaccine so I did the easy bits, found that they didn't work for me and haven't gotten around to the more time consuming steps and maybe never will.

Were you also never registered as a child? Those practices should have your records?
If not, were you not born here/did you not spend your childhood in the U.K.?
Presumably you won’t get the routine screen for bowel cancer at 60? If so, Covid vaccine aside, you really should try to register again so you can get age related screens at least. As you get older, you’re more likely to need the NHS unless you plan to pay for everything privately
I am not sure if I was registered as a child as my parents had jobs that moved them and me around a lot up until secondary school.

My plan has always been to stay well away from the NHS (and private providers) in terms of screening programs, the full body MRI the hospital did as a precautionary measure convinced me of this, it showed what turned out to be a benign cyst and a spiculated lesion on a lung.

Once you get into their system it is easy to become trapped in a cycle of tests and more tests. :-)

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Good morning

Thanks for the thoughts.

Nope, they were quite happy with recording no gp, although they did tag me as an armed forces patient.
View attachment 584521

@IanSmithCSE......I am going to take a punt here, and a massive leap, but I simply do not believe you have never been registered with a GP...............

I also do not believe that you have lived your life with no contact with the NHS,..........

This is the point that I mentioned earlier, whether you believe it or not doesn't alter the fact that it is true.

I am not terribly stressed about receiving the vaccine and was just waiting for my turn. It's only nowish that it has become clear that the vaccine program is using only the GP registrations and not merging it with the Inland Revenue records which seemed to me to be an obvious thing to do.

I am one of those who is not bothered either way about having or not having the vaccine so I did the easy bits, found that they didn't work for me and haven't gotten around to the more time consuming steps and maybe never will.

Bye

Ian
[/QUOTE]

Odd that on your discharge letter there is no hospital ID number for you? The NHS uses a database called "SPINE" in England an it's usual for letters to have both hospital ID and NHS number on them.

vickster

Legendary Member
So you wouldn’t want to know if you have early signs of bowel cancer, and that getting treatment could prevent a more serious and potentially deadly disease?
Really would you not rather have tests and nothing serious to be shown than not know until it’s too late to treat?

Good morning
....... Odd that on your discharge letter there is no hospital ID number for you? The NHS uses a database called "SPINE" in England an it's usual for letters to have both hospital ID and NHS number on them.
The discharge letter does indeed have a hospital number, it is 10 digits long, are any of those digits meaningful or is it just a sequence number?

And an empty space with a NHS number label, this is probably why I am going round in circles.

So you wouldn’t want to know if you have early signs of bowel cancer, and that getting treatment could prevent a more serious and potentially deadly disease?
Really would you not rather have tests and nothing serious to be shown than not know until it’s too late to treat?
It depends upon the cost, I don't mean financial I mean lifestyle and the cost of the all the testing programs on offer is too high for me.

Bye

Ian

classic33

Leg End Member
Good morning

The discharge letter does indeed have a hospital number, it is 10 digits long, are any of those digits meaningful or is it just a sequence number?

And an empty space with a NHS number label, this is probably why I am going round in circles.

It depends upon the cost, I don't mean financial I mean lifestyle and the cost of the all the testing programs on offer is too high for me.

Bye

Ian
It's all 10 digits.

A bit like your bank account number. All of it is normally required.

vickster

Legendary Member
Good morning

Bye

Ian
Putting some poo on a card and sending it back Is a too high cost on your lifestyle? It’ll take far less time than all your long posts on CycleChat :whistle:

Reactions: C R

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Bye

Ian

Odd that on your discharge letter there is no hospital ID number for you? The NHS uses a database called "SPINE" in England an it's usual for letters to have both hospital ID and NHS number on them.
[/QUOTE]
There is no reason for HMRC to use an NHS number. A National Insurance number, which HMRC does use, links to your national insurance record.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
At least now you have the full backing of @mjr , who a couple of weeks ago was bemoaning how he had been thrown under the bus with regard to vaccination, now is moaning that the NHS is trying too hard to contact him.
1. Reporting is not moaning. Try not to infer emotions that aren't there when reading words.

2. I say that the plan still seems to be for all under-50s to be thrown under the lying red bus mid-June, not just me. Sorry if you can't cope with someone who cares about people other than themselves.

Ajax Bay

Guru
the plan still seems to be for all under-50s to be thrown under the lying red bus mid-June, not just me.
Specifically NOT you.
The UK Government's plan is that by 21 Jun 30 million of UK's population will have received both doses and, in addition, 14 million will have had at least 10 days since their first dose (maybe a bit pessimistic with these figures). The 44M total is roughly all those over 35, plus those under 35 with underlying conditions or are clinically extremely vulnerable. It's also 66% of the population, to which add 4M (say) in the U/35 cohort who have antibodies from previous infection = 48M and that's 72%.
The COVID-19 IFR for those under-35s is extremely low: and by June the prevalence will be low which will act to reduce the OR still further. Not to under-the-bus chances, mind: that's about one a week in UK (includes all bus related collision deaths, however caused).
I had to google 'lying red bus'. Assumed it was a typo, not an enthusiasm to provide more funds 'weekly' to 'Our NHS'.
PS: Nearly a million second doses given over the last 2 days and an average of 3M a week (first and second doses) given in the last week.

Last edited:
Top Bottom