COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Maybe that's how it worked then. The announcement on the news this week was quite clear that we should now go to www.nhs.uk and book, if we didn't already have a GP invitation. I guess that's where the capacity was now, which seems backed up by them having appointments available for yesterday.
And this morning I received a text telling me to book on the website if I had not already.

C R

Guru
Just received my first BioNtech jab.

How long before I glow green?:laugh:
It will be blue, blue screen of death, courtesy of Bill Gates, :laugh:

Good evening,
You are a very lucky boy! The system is looking out for you. Think of all that resource going into sending out texts. Does a bit of duplication really matter?
This is meant as a serious question.

This year sees my 60th birthday and I have never been registered with a GP as an adult and it seems that vaccine appointments are based on being registered with a GP.

I signed up for on-line self assessment for tax way back, pretty much as soon as it was possible and that database doesn't seem to be being used.

So I tried the online Book A Vaccine system but I got nowhere with it as it circles around enter your NHS number, you can find this on your correspondence with your GP or register with a GP.

I did try to register with a GP practice a while back and was told that as they couldn't find my non-existent previous GP records they couldn't register me.

Eventually I lost interest and I wonder just how rare people like me are?

The NHS seems to struggle with the concept of people not being registered with it and needing it on a regular basis. :-) This isn't a dig, as when I was lying unconscious in the middle of the road and blocking both lanes they sent out an ambulance and picked me and put me in an A&E department.

They didn't care about the number and gave me some wonderful drugs and I do feel sorry for the staff that had to clean up as I really, really didn't like something that they had given me. :-)

But equally they confirmed my reluctance to get further involved, as I had had a full body MRI scan they found a lesion on a lung and wanted to schedule/require me to take days of work for precautionary further scans. But it was not worth explaining why, I am the doctor so you will do as you are told.

As it stands the system won't offer me a jab, but it will tax me. :smile:

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

mjr

You are a very lucky boy! The system is looking out for you. Think of all that resource going into sending out texts. Does a bit of duplication really matter?

Not to me. I hope they've a bulk buyer rate and it's probably better value for money than fewer people getting vaccinated and this all going on longer.

I post it mainly to illustrate that if I hadn't already booked with the central service based on the news report, I would have now, rather than waiting for a GP invite.

And when I got home, there was a paper letter from the NHS :laugh:

I wonder if a GP invitation will arrive before they're notified that I've already been.

Good evening,
Maybe phone 119 or walk in to a vaccination centre?
This is a very reasonable sounding answer.

Smile; The system is perfect so anyone who has issues with it must be at fault not the system.

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/online-services/find-nhs-number/
Your NHS number is a 10 digit number, like 485 777 3456. It is on any letter you receive from the NHS.

As an adult I have never had a letter from the NHS.

https://www.nhs.uk/find-nhs-number/what-is-your-home-postcode
What is your home postcode?
You must enter the home postcode you registered with your GP surgery. For example EN1 1BE.

Doh, I am on the NHS site because I am not registered with a GP

Bye

Ian

mjr

Good evening,

Smile; The system is perfect so anyone who has issues with it must be at fault not the system.
I never wrote that. I just think people are better at handling unexpected situations than web forms. I'm pretty sure the web forms won't help you more than a person.

classic33

Leg End Member
Good evening,

This year sees my 60th birthday and I have never been registered with a GP as an adult and it seems that vaccine appointments are based on being registered with a GP.

I signed up for on-line self assessment for tax way back, pretty much as soon as it was possible and that database doesn't seem to be being used.

So I tried the online Book A Vaccine system but I got nowhere with it as it circles around enter your NHS number, you can find this on your correspondence with your GP or register with a GP.

I did try to register with a GP practice a while back and was told that as they couldn't find my non-existent previous GP records they couldn't register me.

The NHS seems to struggle with the concept of people not being registered with it and needing it on a regular basis. :-) This isn't a dig, as when I was lying unconscious in the middle of the road and blocking both lanes they sent out an ambulance and picked me and put me in an A&E department.

They didn't care about the number and gave me some wonderful drugs and I do feel sorry for the staff that had to clean up as I really, really didn't like something that they had given me. :-)

But equally they confirmed my reluctance to get further involved, as I had had a full body MRI scan they found a lesion on a lung and wanted to schedule/require me to take days of work for precautionary further scans. But it was not worth explaining why, I am the doctor so you will do as you are told.

Bye

Ian
Try the hospital where you had the MRI, or since you were given medication check with the hospital that gave you the prescription and the chemists that dispensed it. Hospital number and from there your NHS number.

Dial 111 and explain why you need it.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The NHS will send you your number if requested, usually by letter to your address. Or write to the hospital you were at asking for a copy of your discharge letter, that will have your number on it.
Ian - when you were young like some of us, you were able to truck along without needing to call on the nationwide primary care health service. Now you are nearly 60, it's more likely that you'll need help and stuff. And also that any medical records are accessible to the health professional on whom you'll call.
I recommend you endeavour to register with a local surgery and offer this link:
https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/gps/how-to-register-with-a-gp-surgery/
You'll need to fill out a GMS1 (link/download from that link). Immigrants are in a similar boat to you.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Good evening,

Bye

Ian

You don't need an NHS number to get the jab.

You really haven't tried very hard have you? It's on page 2 of the booking system.

https://www.nhs.uk/book-a-coronavirus-vaccination/do-you-have-an-nhs-number

There, that has made it simple for you.

Your NHS number is allocated at birth, you do not get it from your GP, it will be associated with any previous NHS treatment you have had.

Unless you were not registered at birth (unlikely) then you have a number, this sounds like you just don't want to not find it!

Oh, and the NHS Constitution says you should register with a GP, page 7 https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/aboutnhs/Documents/NHS_Constitution_interactive_9Mar09.pdf

Last edited:

mjr

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Good evening,

Your NHS number is a 10 digit number, like 485 777 3456. It is on any letter you receive from the NHS.

As an adult I have never had a letter from the NHS.

https://www.nhs.uk/find-nhs-number/what-is-your-home-postcode
What is your home postcode?
You must enter the home postcode you registered with your GP surgery. For example EN1 1BE.

Doh, I am on the NHS site because I am not registered with a GP

Bye

Ian

Just get your NHS number texted to you.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom