COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Edit: Probably not SQIi, just poor authentication, but the result is you can discover if someone you might know, has been vaccinated. That same person would probably tell you, I'm even happy to 'disclose' that I have had the vaccine, not bothered in the slightest - but the flaw should still be fixed.
No little Bobby Tables involved?

Our local homeopath anti vaxxer seems to subscribe to the view that if you have the vaccine then over the next few weeks you are shedding virus, posts on her FB suggest avoiding anyone who has been jabbed to avoid getting the virus from them.

Morons!
Perhaps they're a time-traveller and think that C-19 vaccines work on the same principle as the variolation of the 17thC and before?

Johnno260

Veteran
Our local homeopath anti vaxxer seems to subscribe to the view that if you have the vaccine then over the next few weeks you are shedding virus, posts on her FB suggest avoiding anyone who has been jabbed to avoid getting the virus from them.

Morons!

Unfortunately people like this are vocal and get followers repeating this nonsense, people like this I put in the same bracket as flat earthers, total idiots but more dangerous in the case of vaccines.

Ajax Bay

Guru
All good news [Pfizer vaccine effectiveness data from Israel]. However as shortly it will be one of the Indian variants that will form the majority of infection in the UK it will be good to know how it works against that.
It might be useful, but there will be no data so that'll remain an unrequited aspiration. In any case, I think the assertion that "one of the Indian variants will form the majority of infection in the UK" is wide of the mark, even if T&T foci (did I read London, Bradford and somewhere?) fail to bear down on it.
Reports yesterday suggested about 500 cases all up. Compare that with the UK-wide daily case reports currently at 2000pd, nearly all B.1.1.7. Each of those cases will remain an infection for say 20 days (ie will return a positive PCR test result) so that suggests 40,000 (still) tested infected on any day, cf 500 of the B.1.617 variant.

lane

Veteran
It might be useful, but there will be no data so that'll remain an unrequited aspiration. In any case, I think the assertion that "one of the Indian variants will form the majority of infection in the UK" is wide of the mark, even if T&T foci (did I read London, Bradford and somewhere?) fail to bear down on it.
Reports yesterday suggested about 500 cases all up. Compare that with the UK-wide daily case reports currently at 2000pd, nearly all B.1.1.7. Each of those cases will remain an infection for say 20 days (ie will return a positive PCR test result) so that suggests 40,000 (still) tested infected on any day, cf 500 of the B.1.617 variant.

Reported yesterday that at the current doubling rate one of the Indian variants will shortly (month or so) form the majority of infection in London.

lane

Veteran
I can't find an exact source to what i have posted above. However it stands to reason if overall cases are reducing but the Indian mutation is doubling in the UK it will become the majority infection in the UK. It may be able to escape the vaccine to a greater extend. My view is while we are happily unlocking and patting ourselves on the back for the vaccine rollout and unlocking travel - this is going to come back and bite us in quite a bad way.

“That we have a new variant that is increasing so rapidly, even during a period when we are still in a pretty strict lockdown and have more than 50% of the UK population with at least one immunisation, is very depressing and suggests that as we come out of lockdown this variant could accelerate even more rapidly,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ovid-variant-in-uk-is-worrying-say-scientists

"The Indian coronavirus variant which has led to a surge of cases on the sub-continent is now rising faster in the UK than any other variant leading scientists to question whether the Government taking enough action to stop its spread.

Latest figures show the variant is doubling in number every week – there are now 182 cases of B1617 in the UK, according analysis of real-time data by the Covid-19 Genomics UK Consortium with the vast majority of them emerging in the last four weeks. Last week it was reported there were 77 cases. The number of UK confirmed cases is 103, Health Secretary Matt Hancock told the House of Commons on Monday."

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/indian-variant-cases-new-covid-strain-uk-figures-latest-news-963434

"Infectious disease experts said the Indian variant is doubling in size under much tighter restrictions and with far more people vaccinated than when the Kent variant emerged last October. It remains the dominant strain in the UK with 37,634 new cases over the last 28 days, according to latest figures."

“But by the time we do, B1617 is likely to be quite widespread and it might be too late to contain it,” she said. “At current rate of growth, we could be seeing 1,000 B1617 cases a week in 4-5 weeks. Still not massive but very hard to contain without more restrictions. It could be dominant by the end of June – 10-12 weeks away. It depends on what is driving its growth."

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
“That we have a new variant that is increasing so rapidly, even during a period when we are still in a pretty strict lockdown and have more than 50% of the UK population with at least one immunisation, is very depressing and suggests that as we come out of lockdown this variant could accelerate even more rapidly,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ovid-variant-in-uk-is-worrying-say-scientists
England hasn't been in lockdown for a month and has never been in a "pretty strict" one. Paul Hunter has usually seemed a pretty good pundit over the last few months, so I wonder if het Grauniad has misquoted him or recycled an old quote there.

Not saying you're wrong (time will tell) but I would be suspicious of that particular report.

Morons!

Homeopath pro-vaxxers would be much more useful. You could vaccinate the entire country with just a handful of doses, diluted with plenty of water.

pawl

Legendary Member
Did anyone see that nutcase bunch in Nottingham who 'protested' a bus set up as a mobile vaccination centre, saying the vaccine would turn you communist if you had it? LOL! Honestly where do they get their ideas from?

was that the prat with green hair There actions were disgusting trying to prevent people to getting there jabs

lane

Veteran
England hasn't been in lockdown for a month and has never been in a "pretty strict" one. Paul Hunter has usually seemed a pretty good pundit over the last few months, so I wonder if het Grauniad has misquoted him or recycled an old quote there.

Not saying you're wrong (time will tell) but I would be suspicious of that particular report.

We have had fairly or very strict restrictions for the past month. If the variant is doubling in those conditions it is reasonable to assume it could double even faster when restrictions are lifted. Don't really know what your definition of a really strict one is. I have barely been able to meet up with people to cycle with for the past twelve months and even now I am limited to 6 and have to stay outdoors. Perhaps you have forgotten how things used to be. Our liberties are still very much curtailed.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We have had fairly or very strict restrictions for the past month. If the variant is doubling in those conditions it is reasonable to assume it could double even faster when restrictions are lifted.
The restrictions are pretty weak and almost completely unenforced. About the only serious cramp is restaurant/cafe/bar interiors are closed except for toilets and some places have chosen not to reopen until mid-May or later. Pretty much all shops are open again and only an honour system requires mask-wearing. There are small farking parties happening in parks and woodlands, and I suspect a fair few houses too. It is no way a lockdown. From the street, it's very difficult to differentiate it from normality.

Don't really know what your definition of a really strict one is.
Part of a strict lockdown would be a requirement to stay within a set distance of home, or to swear a declaration to leave your home, for example. The selfish snowflakes in this country would melt with anger if it ever happens!

I have barely been able to meet up with people to cycle with for the past twelve months and even now I am limited to 6 and have to stay outdoors.
There were only about 4½ months when we couldn't meet up at all to cycle IIRC, but I'm sorry if you didn't manage it the rest of the time. That does not mean it was restricted.

The limits on group size and lack of indoor hospitality have been challenging but do-able.

Perhaps you have forgotten how things used to be. Our liberties are still very much curtailed.
I've not forgotten and I don't disagree that our liberties are still limited, but we have not been in anything that can reasonably be called a lockdown for more than a month now!

lane

Veteran
The pubs here closed in March 2020 and opened early July. They closed again in November 2020 and did not open again until April 2021. During that over 1 year period the pubs were open for between 4 and 5 months. I have been in two large shops today and a garden centre yesterday and mask wearing was 100%.

I don't really want to get involved in arguing semantics with you - because whatever you want to call things the substance of the argument still stands.

Ajax Bay

Guru
However it stands to reason if overall cases are reducing but the Indian mutation is doubling in the UK it will become the majority infection in the UK. It may be able to escape the vaccine to a greater extend. My view is while we are happily unlocking and patting ourselves on the back for the vaccine rollout and unlocking travel - this is going to come back and bite us in quite a bad way.
Well done for finding those reports. I note their dates (Guardian 29 Apr and iNews 19 Apr). I can't help guessing that the increase in numbers over those weeks was in good part caused by UK residents returning from visits to India (reason??) and testing positive after flying in, including the surge of arrivals in the 4 days before the air link went 'red' and enforced hotel quarantine was imposed. So we might expect the rate of increase not to be maintained though community transmission. As a VUI 'outbreaks' are not yet subject to surge testing aiui. (Edit: see posts below)
I sincerely hope every individual flying in self-quarantined 'at home' for ten days. @mjr has pointed out the reasons why people don't self-isolate, but presumably if you can afford a return air ticket to India, you can afford to self-isolate on return if required.

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
Well done for finding those reports. I note their dates (Guardian 29 Apr and iNews 19 Apr). I can't help guessing that the increase in numbers over those weeks was in good part caused by UK residents returning from visits to India (reason??) and testing positive after flying in, including the surge of arrivals in the 4 days before the air link went 'red' and enforced hotel quarantine was imposed. So we might expect the rate of increase not to be maintained though community transmission. As a VUI 'outbreaks' are not yet subject to surge testing aiui.
I sincerely hope every individual flying in self-quarantined 'at home' for ten days. @mjr has pointed out the reasons why people don't self-isolate, but presumably if you can afford a return air ticket to India, you can afford to self-isolate on return if required.

It doesn't seem to be an improving situation we now have clusters in parts of England.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/07/indian-covid-variant-is-variant-of-concern-says-public-health-england

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom