CPS Says "Yes!!!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
It's confirmed after this, but the CPS (& YAS) are following it through

Wrote, by a good friend of mine, who - as it states - had her foot driven over
Court date to be confirmed

https://emergency-services.news/?p=9199

What I don't understand is why the police didn't arrest the driver there and then.

C R

Guru
Basically the police judged that there was no risk of her doing it again immediately, so no prevention of harm grounds for arrest, no child protection issues and they deemed no risk of absconding or failure to appear in the event of a summons, section 2.9 of PACE: https://assets.publishing.service.g...achment_data/file/181153/pace-code-g_2006.pdf

But don't they need to arrest in order to charge? Not necessarily make the driver spend the night in custody, but a trip to the police station in the back of a patrol car, if nothing else to put them in their place.

Levo-Lon

Guru
But don't they need to arrest in order to charge? Not necessarily make the driver spend the night in custody, but a trip to the police station in the back of a patrol car, if nothing else to put them in their place.

I think they would put that as pending enquiries, nip etc then court,
Like bei g pulled for speeding, no arrest but you may be asked to appear in court.

Arresting someone takes up a hell of a lot of officer time

Siclo

Veteran
But don't they need to arrest in order to charge?

No you can be charged without being arrested, as @meta lon says the police will issue a notice of intended prosecution (NIP), issue must be done within 14 days of the offence, the accused gets 28 days to return the NIP and then the police and CPS then get six months to decide whether or not to bring charges.

Arrests are resource heavy and expensive.

tom73

Guru
I think they would put that as pending enquiries, nip etc then court,
Like bei g pulled for speeding, no arrest but you may be asked to appear in court.

Arresting someone takes up a hell of a lot of officer time

Not to mention the Custody Nurse.

I did add this one previously but can't find it to add to

The writer is a good friend of mine;
https://emergency-services.news/?p=9199

Sentancing was to be made later, as the defendant was going on holiday

And, from her social media (earlier today)

Court today;
15mths Disqualification, with an extended retest.
220 hours unpaid work
12mths community order.
£300 compensation
£300 court costs.
Her employer has sacked her.

Judge was disgusted with her and her solicitor.
Told she narrowly avoided a custodial sentence

Probation report states she denies the offence but she's remorseful.

And she's appealing, taking it to crown court.
And this is someone who's on a low wage, but can afford to appeal at crown court!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I remember it. Good! You do have to wonder what make her think she'll have any better luck with a crown court judge.

Top Bottom