Cracked frame 2016 Trek Emonda

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichoBrisbane

Bought this 2016 Emonda in mid 2017. There were no marks, scuffs, anything (it looked brand new), when I bought it 2nd hand. In late March 2019 I noticed cracks in frame (pictured) under seat pole, on both sides of frame. I'm perplexed how this has happened. No drops, no accidents, treated well etc. Has anyone else seen similar cracks on other Trek bikes? I found out later that the lifetime frame warranty only applies to 1st owner. Trek Australia have said they're not willing to do anything under warranty. They also refuse to assist in any other way such as providing store credit of any amount on purchase of new bike.

Is this acceptable that a 3 year old frame has cracked when there are no signs of damage to bike (apart from cracks)?

I have had this bike serviced several times at Trek previously. I've been told on each occasion that the bike is in good condition.

Finally, if the original owner did something that has now caused the cracks, would it take 2 years to be noticeable?

Attachments

• IMG_20190407_092109.jpg
    IMG_20190407_092109.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20190407_092130.jpg
    IMG_20190407_092130.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20190407_092028.jpg
    IMG_20190407_092028.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 143
Those are just paint cracks. Very common. Keep on riding. Drink an ice cold Fosters.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Surely that should have been noticed when being serviced ? Or have they only just appeared ?
How much seat post is in the frame ?
Not good news either way if they are cracks ?

vickster

Legendary Member
As far as I know, lifetime warranty only applies to original owner whoever the manufacturer (at least the big global mainstream ones) so Trek are stating policy
One of the downsides of second hand (although in sone cases, the saving would possibly cover a new frame in the unusual event of failure)

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've bought old frames where the paint has completely crazed. Nothing wrong with the metal underneath.

OP
OP
R

RichoBrisbane

As far as I know, lifetime warranty only applies to original owner whoever the manufacturer (at least the big global mainstream ones) so Trek are stating policy
One of the downsides of second hand (although in sone cases, the saving would possibly cover a new frame in the unusual event of failure)
Yeah .I posted to get opinions on frame only lasting 3 years. Obvs I don't know if anything happened in original owners hands. Im ready to move on and buy a new bike NOT A TREK. I may ask carbon fiber repairer if they are only paint cracks as suggested by other posters

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I concur, paint damage and nothing more. My Viner has a few similar marks. But still going strong after eleven years and something in the region of 15-20,000 miles (lost count).

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah .I posted to get opinions on frame only lasting 3 years. Obvs I don't know if anything happened in original owners hands. Im ready to move on and buy a new bike NOT A TREK. I may ask carbon fiber repairer if they are only paint cracks as suggested by other posters
Why do you need a whole new bike even if the frame is damaged? New compatible frameset, transfer all the components across

OP
OP
R

RichoBrisbane

Why do you need a whole new bike even if the frame is damaged? New compatible frameset, transfer all the components across
I'm 196cm. Can't get reasonably priced frame in my size. Trek quoted me close to the price of a complete bike, for just the frame.

Top Bottom