Crank arm replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shack

Evening all, I'm looking at a nice bike on Thursday night, and the owner has (thankfully) told me the pedal on the non drive side won't budge, now it has lovely Ultegra spd-sl pedals on but guess at somepoint they will need at least a service if not replacing.
The whole running gear is Ultegra so to replace the crankset would be a bit pricey for the sake of a stuck pedal.
I'm sure the (competent) owner would have tried everything I'm likely to think of or try, so is it worth a punt as:
Nice bike
Good (not startlingly fantastic bargain) price
Local

Or is sourcing a crank arm a thing? A quick Google threw nothing up in that department

Another minor gripe is my collection of riding shoes are the mtb twin bolt SPD cleats, but less fussed about that.

It's a focus cayo expert, carbon road bike, as I have fancied adding something like this for a while, its full Ultegra with krysium wheels and could be mine for 700 of your English pounds and like I say sorry from the pedal issue is in lovely nic.

Thoughts from you lovely folks welcome

13 rider

Guru
I have a left hand Ultegra 8000 crank slightly used 172.5mm . Took off bike as I got a power meter make me an offer if it's the correct size
PM me if you like

Gunk

Guru
Just enjoy the bike as it as, and buy a used spare crank for when you want to swap the pedals.

Seller sounds a decent, honest chap. Makes a change!

si_c

Guru
Non-drive side stuck pedal is probably not too bad, depends why it's stuck though. You've got a couple of options, either use the pedals as is and then see what happens if/when the pedal needs a service - a rare occurrence in my experience, they seem to last for ages - or replacing the left crank arm.

Fortunately there are a lot of options there, plenty of people have a spare arm - as above I have 175mm 105 R7000 arm from the Trek after putting a power meter on it. I'm sure if you advertised on here you'd find a replacement that would work and allow you to fit your pedal of choice too.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have never had a pedal defeat me, you just need a longer lever.
I have, and I had a very long lever!

It is an XT SPD pedal stuck in a deore crank. Options are, butcher the crank to save the pedal, or cut the pedal axle, grind some flats and stick it in a vice to save the crank. It has been sat on a shelf for two years while I think about it.... :laugh:

Seeing as you don't want the pedals then plan B is the best option (once all other avenues have been explored).

OP
OP
Shack

Shack

I have a left hand Ultegra 8000 crank slightly used 172.5mm . Took off bike as I got a power meter make me an offer if it's the correct size
PM me if you like
Thanks bud, I'm thinking I'm looking with view to buy, my new purchase has gone by the by until at least the new year and saved bike pennies are burning a whole.

OP
OP
Shack

Shack

I have, and I had a very long lever!

It is an XT SPD pedal stuck in a deore crank. Options are, butcher the crank to save the pedal, or cut the pedal axle, grind some flats and stick it in a vice to save the crank. It has been sat on a shelf for two years while I think about it.... :laugh:

Seeing as you don't want the pedals then plan B is the best option (once all other avenues have been explored).
I had an old trek pub bike that came and then went with a stuck pedal, I tried everything I could think of to shift it, so I know they exist

si_c

Guru
Yes it does. :okay:

I chucked an FSA crankset as it had a stuck pedal, wasn't a problem until the pedal lost the end cap and then fell to pieces. At that point I had a crankset with a stuck spindle, so truly useless. It was a crap crankset anyway so I put it in the recycling. Tried everything first though.

weareHKR

Yes it does. :okay:
Agreed 100%... I had one stuck & the correct spanner with a larger ring spanner attached for extra leverage... epic fail, spanner, good quality spanner failed, completely rounded the flats!
I then resorted to a small pair of Stilsons... completely shafted the axle but it came off, fortunately, it was scrap anyway but I couldn't be defeated by a pedal! :laugh::stop:

Top Bottom