Crank arm replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Unfortunately much of the 'high end' Shimano pedal offerings don't have spanner flats on the spindle. They only have hex wrench fitting in the end of the spindle, accessed from the back of the crank arm.

faster

Über Member
Unfortunately much of the 'high end' Shimano pedal offerings don't have spanner flats on the spindle. They only have hex wrench fitting in the end of the spindle, accessed from the back of the crank arm.

I was about to say the same - maybe the owner has already rounded the hex off it too?

Even so, all is not lost as the pedal can be disassembled for service whilst still attached to the crank. Also, once disassembled, you'll be able to grip the spindle in a vice and get it off that way.

Gunk

Guru
I was about to say the same - maybe the owner has already rounded the hex off it too?

Even so, all is not lost as the pedal can be disassembled for service whilst still attached to the crank. Also, once disassembled, you'll be able to grip the spindle in a vice and get it off that way.

I had one stuck in an FSA crank arm and that method still didn’t shift the blighter

OP
OP
Shack

Shack

Afternoon all, and am update.
Previous owner (I'm the new one now) had rounded the hex socket, when I arrived for the viewing it was sporting a dura ace crank arm and shiny new bottom bracket, so not quite matchy matchy with the Ultegra groupset but I think I'll cope, and pedals now swapped for the 2 bolt SPD clips to match my tourer.
First impressions of the bike are good (first half decent road bike for me, and foray into the world of carbon)
I doubt it will see the miles I put on my old steel tourer, but will be nice to go fast and light once a week.
Thanks for your words of wisdom people, have a great weekend

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Have you tried fire ? Use a blow torch to heat up the aluminum part then cool the steel pedal parts by spraying with an aerosol lube. The differential heating/cooling can be enough to break the bond in the threads.

ETA do in a well ventilated area !

Buck

Guru
At least he had sorted it for you :okay:

I had a problem with a stuck BB and used the following extensively to release the seized item followed by a spanner and a metal tube for leverage

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-penetrating-lubricating-oil-750ml/19320

If the rest of the bike is good then I would be tempted to remove the crank arm and soak the pedal/crank arm in a container with some of the above then reattach the bike and get a friend to hold the other pedal and apply some leverage. AS I found, the time spent liberally applying/soaking the seized bolt/areas is what can make the difference.

OP
OP
Shack

Shack

Here is the girl in question, no problems as yet, though she will never offer as plush a ride as my regular steel ride

Attachments

• IMG_20210721_193838140_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210721_193838140_HDR.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom