Crashed into by WVM, can I keep/buy damaged bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AhThisFeckinThing

Hello All, I was side swiped by a white van man a couple of weeks ago (Not my fault, phew). I have just found out my Tricross 2011 frame is slightly out of alignment, but because of the material the bike shop do not recommend fixing so its a write-off. Its 4 months old
:cry:
As long as it isn't too bad do insurance companies allow you to buy it back as it could possibly still use as a winter commute and get a 'road' bike' from the compensation.
Ta

You'd have to ask the insurance company. Most will come to an agreement with you.

In my experience, two right offs, the insurance companies have never even asked to see the bike. I was insured through my home insurance.

The last time was 5yr-ish ago, so things may have changed but I would doubt it.

I also argued that I wanted to source my own replacement instead of using their preferred supplier, and got the go ahead to find one reduced online. If you go above what your bike was insured for you can pay the difference. I think it is called betterment.

Also, my bike was insured for £1500 but over and above that you can claim for things not bike related like damaged clothing and such.

Both good ways of upgrading your bike and you get to keep your old one.

Hope this Helps.

OP
OP
AhThisFeckinThing

AhThisFeckinThing

Ok, got it so far. Here is the crunch, the bike is on cycle to work scheme, any difference then.
PS I actually totally forgot to mention this when putting my post on, d'oh!

Ok, got it so far. Here is the crunch, the bike is on cycle to work scheme, any difference then.
PS I actually totally forgot to mention this when putting my post on, d'oh!

I wouldn't imagine it would change anything. You are legally resposible for the bike so for insurance purposes it will treated as yours.

I know this from having my house burgled (my rubbish luck is your gain). I had a laptop stolen and the loss adjuster said as it was on a lease purchase through my work, very similar to cycle to work, I could not claim for it. A family friend who happens to be a lawyer put him straight very quickly and they immediately folded. Just be aware that they will try to keep their losses to a minimum and a few porkies is not beneath some of them. Don't just take them at their word.

OP
OP
AhThisFeckinThing

AhThisFeckinThing

Thanks for that. I'm just compiling my list of damaged clothing, its just oil, minor scuffs and rubs, but I can't get it out and a lot of it is quite new, so hopefully the bike should be straightforward too, Many thanks again :bravo:

Thanks for that. I'm just compiling my list of damaged clothing, its just oil, minor scuffs and rubs, but I can't get it out and a lot of it is quite new, so hopefully the bike should be straightforward too, Many thanks again :bravo:

Don't mention it. I actually enquired about personal injuries for the accident I caused to myself. My lawyer laughed at me and said if we could claim for injuries against ourselves, our courts would be full. :-)

I was however paid out £2000 for being ran over by a woman negotiating a roundabout while feeding her daughter a choc-ice in the back.

rualexander

Legendary Member
As far as I know, the Tricross is an aluminium frame with carbon front fork, it would therefore be highly advisable not to ride this bike after such a collision, the forks could have undetectable damage which could fail without notice.

OP
OP
AhThisFeckinThing

AhThisFeckinThing

Yes, it is a reputable shop, so I will go and see them once able and see what they say. You are totally right, if they advise or if the forks may have some unknown damage, its bad enough being in a collision when your not to blame.

CamPhil

Of course, you only want it for spares^_^ , as there may be one or two components that may come in handy in the future.
I'm sure you could pick up a frame to bolt them all onto for much less than a whole bike.
I've done this a couple of times with motorcycles, but make sure it's been written of in the right category - beyond economic repair, rather than unsuitable or dangerous to repair.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It isn't yours to keep or scavenge from. It belongs to your employer so you will need to come to an arrangement with them AND your insurers.

It isn't yours to keep or scavenge from. It belongs to your employer so you will need to come to an arrangement with them AND your insurers.

Not wanting to be argumentative, but the bike is yours till you hand it back which not many people do. The company will only care about the new replacement bike. The insurance will care less because there is no value in it to them.

Fingers crossed for you that they will do as they did in my cases and that is supply you with a new bike.

Let us know how you get on.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Not wanting to be argumentative, but the bike is yours till you hand it back which not many people do. The company will only care about the new replacement bike. The insurance will care less because there is no value in it to them.

Fingers crossed for you that they will do as they did in my cases and that is supply you with a new bike.

Let us know how you get on.

Point taken and I feel the same way but for the sake of anyone who stumbles over this thread looking for advice; i think you will find you are completely and utterly wrong. A bike on any sort of bike-to-work scheme belongs totally to ones employers until it/one is no longer on the scheme, and if push comes to shove one may even loose any upgrades one has put on post-hoc.

Where's Norm when one needs him....?

Point taken and I feel the same way but for the sake of anyone who stumbles over this thread looking for advice; i think you will find you are completely and utterly wrong. A bike on any sort of bike-to-work scheme belongs totally to ones employers until it/one is no longer on the scheme, and if push comes to shove one may even loose any upgrades one has put on post-hoc.

Where's Norm when one needs him....?

I understand how the cycle to work scheme works and to the letter you are correct, sorry for the poor wording in my original statement, but really so long as you make your payments I can't ever see it being a problem. In eight months he will get the option to pay the final payment or lease it for another 3 yr at £0/mth regardless of whether it is the original bike or not. I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over accepting a new bike and keeping the old one unless the insurance company asked for it.

There is nothing underhand or fraudulent in this. He gives the insurance the official report of the reputable expert and they will decide how to proceed. So long as the bike is replaced by an equivalent or higher standard bike cycle to work will be happy.

I'm new around here so I haven't met Norm. Looking forward to it with some trepidation. :-)

I hope reading this people understand that I am just trying to impart some honest advice on how my own experience panned out. Twice with my bikes being written off by an insurance company and once with property belonging to my employer, similar to cycle to work scheme, being stolen.

I hope you agree with that. The OP should listen to all advice and decide for himself how he wants to proceed.

Top Bottom