Crazy, stupid or brave, anyone else done this....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So my wife and I are in our early 50's, both in jobs we've had enough of, so we've both decided to quit them, put the house up for sale and move. Neither of us have a decent pension but will have enough savings to live off for a couple of years whilst we get used to our new surroundings, and build a new life in our new community. We then plan to get part time jobs and enjoy everything the North Norfolk coast and broads have to offer. Neither of us family over there and leaving all family and friends behind. But will buy a property with plenty of space for regular visits from friends and family. As the title suggests, crazy or brave?

Some of you will know ive had a few health issues over the last few years so this is our way of making a completely fresh new start

Brave. And exciting. And a good decision.

Well done for changing and, most probably, improving the quality of your lives.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not gone quite as radical as you. I retired early at 47. Would have gone another 3 years but with Tom Winsor d***ing about with police regulations I wasn't prepared to wait for him to ruin it all for me.

I guess I'm still adjusting to it really. I live in a village, while Mrs D works part time in town. There's always a dog to walk, books to read, guns to shoot, bikes to ride. When Mimi D turns 11 and is ready to go to big school were planning to move back to Shetland, which is where one side of my family originated and where I spent much of my childhood.

Good luck with your experiment. There's definitely more to life than work.

13 rider

Guru
Crazy do you know how far it is to the King Power stadium :okay:.
Seriously an exciting decision wishing you all the best .

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
So my wife and I are in our early 50's, both in jobs we've had enough of, so we've both decided to quit them, put the house up for sale and move. Neither of us have a decent pension but will have enough savings to live off for a couple of years whilst we get used to our new surroundings, and build a new life in our new community. We then plan to get part time jobs and enjoy everything the North Norfolk coast and broads have to offer. Neither of us family over there and leaving all family and friends behind. But will buy a property with plenty of space for regular visits from friends and family. As the title suggests, crazy or brave?

Some of you will know ive had a few health issues over the last few years so this is our way of making a completely fresh new start
Good for you! Wish I had the guts to do something similar. I happened to catch the first episode of The Good Life the other day and after hearing Tom's idea and having a think Barbara said something to the effect of "There's a million reasons why we shouldn't do it but if we think about them all we'll be dead before we do anything, so let's just go for it."
Go for it and good luck :okay:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Brave and exciting. Hope all goes well for you! You could always try a small B&B business in one or two of your spare rooms as a possible alternative to part time jobs.
B&Bs are closing in droves here. I had a few as customers in my last full time job and they all cited the same problems, ever increasing regulation kept adding to the cost and to make it worthwhile you need to charge a rate that makes it unattractive to customers.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
B&Bs are closing in droves here. I had a few as customers in my last full time job and they all cited the same problems, ever increasing regulation kept adding to the cost and to make it worthwhile you need to charge a rate that makes it unattractive to customers.
airbnb appears to be having a big affect.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

Good for you. We only come this way once, why be unhappy?

aferris2

Guru
We did something similar 20 years ago (both in our early 40's then). Quit jobs, rented the house out and went travelling for 9 months. Complete change on the work front after our return and it made us realise how much of a rut we had got into.
Decided then that we would do something similar before we were too old to enjoy it. I took early retirement in April and we are just about to start our second break. House has been let and should almost fund our travels. Flying out to Sydney at the end of next week.
Yes, this sort of thing does sound crazy at first, but until you try it, you never find out that it is not stupid at all.

Top Bottom