Critérium du Dauphiné 2019 **Spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
He's lucky. If he'd been just an ordinary bike rider out on his own with no back up team it could've been fatal as he could've been lead there without anyone knowing. Why take your hands off the bars to blow your nose? Just fire snot rockets out with one finger pressing a nostril and keeping one hand on the bars. Handkerchiefs are not necessary in cycling.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In the meantime ... Van Aert ... I'm obviously not up to speed but I thought he was a cyclocross guy who might do well in the one day races - but to win a TT? Wow. Yeah I know Dumoulin has a poorly knee, Richie Porte is Richie Porte and Froome is in bits but all the same ... Wow

As to Thomas. I bet he's brushing pie crumbs off his chin, getting out of his comfy chair saying "oh bollocks"

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Millar got into a bit of a tangle on telly last night when he said that one of the worst things about TT crashes is that you have no-one to blame but yourself. He realised what he'd said and immediately went into Ineos fanboy mode "Of course this wasn't Chris Froome's fault at all. Gust of wind. Perfect storm. Freak circumstances". When the fact of the matter is that like the rest of us, he doesn't have a clue what happened.

Reactions: mjr

Adam4868

Guru
Who gives a feck wether you like the bloke or not He's had a serious injury/crash,could of been the end of him or his career.
Whoever it was I'd be concerned and wish them a speedy recovery.

KneesUp

Guru
Crashing a car at the speed he was going would be quite bad enough - and that has a safety cell you are strapped in to and airbags and so on. Coming off a bike at that speed is going to hurt a lot. The reported injuries don't sound bad enough to warrant ICU, but hopefully that's just because Ineos are taking no risks and whilst he recovers from the operation.

I would be interested in a debate on whether or not he could now ever get a 5th title, but perhaps we should wait until we know he's ok.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You're kidding, right? A broken femur is an extremely traumatic event. The broken bone ends can puncture arteries and cause massive bleeding, not to mention that broken ribs can puncture the lungs. With at least three fractures and loss of consciousness Froome's body will have gone into shock and ICU is entirely the right place for him while doctors assess the damage and his reaction.

Read the fascinating book War Doctor by David Knott if you want to understand the complex way the body reacts to trauma.

I would be interested in a debate on whether or not he could now ever get a 5th title, but perhaps we should wait until we know he's ok.

I think there the answer to that question is exactly the same as it would have been 5 mins before his crash, no one knew then whether he would be able to get a fifth tour de france win,...…. able to try , yes but that's a different question.

The reported injuries don't sound bad enough to warrant ICU

I agree with @Globalti , certainly sounds bad enough to me.

People sometimes get freaked out when they hear mentions of ICU. It’s often actually as much to do with the care level ( 1 to 1 ) as it is the severity of the patients condition. People get images of tubes sticking out of every hole, and machines going ping, and unconscious / comatose patients everywhere, whereas, in reality, ICU isn’t as bad as that.

Top Bottom