Crowdfunding for lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grendel

Veteran
I'm think of starting a campaign to raise money to buy lights for all of those cyclists out there who are too poor to buy lights for their bikes, and by the look of things this will be a massive undertaking. This should be of particular aid to all those in the Deliveroo community who seem to think that a large reflective box on their back makes them visible from the front...

All donations gratefully accepted.

Slick

Guru
Do cyclists need lights? :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm think of starting a campaign to raise money to buy lights for all of those cyclists out there who are too poor to buy lights for their bikes, and by the look of things this will be a massive undertaking. This should be of particular aid to all those in the Deliveroo community who seem to think that a large reflective box on their back makes them visible from the front...

My understanding is Deliveroo riders are provided with lights, front and rear. If they can't be arsed to use them, then...

Sharky

Guru
Just read that blaze liights have been fitted to al santander bikes. Has anybody experienced them yet?

Welsh wheels

Lycra king

Shame you can't raise money to give them common sense either....

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
My understanding is Deliveroo riders are provided with lights, front and rear. If they can't be arsed to use them, then...
I never got given any!

Bloody cyclists not dying or killing because of not having lights. We need to kill some to enforce our assumption that it matters. The stupid cyclists in London are being killed by poorly designed and operated lorries. We really need to deliberately kill a load more due to lights so we can fix that problem (that we've just made) rather than the actual problem as it's much more suited to the narrative of drivers not bothering to look or drive safely.

[QUOTE 5020651, member: 259"]It really is daft riding without lights. It's not as if they're expensive and if there's one thing you can do to actually make yourself more visible, that's it.[/QUOTE]
Of course. Nobody is denying that. Yet cyclists are being killed whether they have them or not. The thing that actually kills cyclists is drivers not looking where they are going.

Quick question, do you put lights on your car if parked on the street at night? If a car smashed into it do you take responsibility from not having lights on it?

[QUOTE 5020658, member: 259"]Your first sentence makes a lot of sense to me.

I can't do anything at all about drivers not looking where they are going, but for a couple of quid I can make myself far more visible, and I would be stupid if I didn't.

And your question is completely irrevelevant.[/QUOTE]
Why? Car smashes into unlit car, driver's fault. Car smashes into unlit tree, driver's fault. Car smashes into unlit cyclist?

I drive cars, have done for many years. I was taught to, and still do, avoid crashing into things by looking where I'm going.

All cyclists should have lights. Should a driver hit an unlit cyclist the cyclist should be paraded as an idiot and the driver sent to jail for not looking where he/she was going.

Now let's add to that that cyclists seem to be hit whether they have lights or not it seems having lights is a very marginal gain. The problem here is that the drivers who do hit unlit cyclists plead it isn't their fault and avoid punishment.

Finally, a police campaign to enforce all cyclists to have lights will have little impact. A police campaign to enforce all dangerous driving will save many lives. Guess which we should focus on?

Top Bottom