Crowdfunding for lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I presume they're the company that has provided those stupid laser lights that shine a green bike pattern onto the road. I hate coming across them when commuting through London, I don't see how they provide any safety benefit and its just one more distraction out there, lights should be there to draw focus onto the cyclist, not onto the floor half a meter in front of them!
I thought that, so I asked and I got https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/test_results_of_blaze_laser_ligh#incoming-898056 when I asked. I've not taken it any further since as I've enough to do in Norfolk and LCC have more volunteers than we do.

Flashing green laser lights seem a bit dodgy legally too IMO.

mjr

We slowed down as we passed & advised him, he had no idea & surprisingly we got a thanks not a mouthful of abuse.
I misread that at first because I don't think it's surprising that you got a thanks. Even most motorists will thank you for letting them know a tail light's not working and they seem much more ready to shout abuse for no reason than friendly cyclists.

OP
OP
Grendel

Grendel

Veteran
Why? Car smashes into unlit car, driver's fault. Car smashes into unlit tree, driver's fault. Car smashes into unlit cyclist?

I drive cars, have done for many years. I was taught to, and still do, avoid crashing into things by looking where I'm going.

All cyclists should have lights. Should a driver hit an unlit cyclist the cyclist should be paraded as an idiot and the driver sent to jail for not looking where he/she was going.

Now let's add to that that cyclists seem to be hit whether they have lights or not it seems having lights is a very marginal gain. The problem here is that the drivers who do hit unlit cyclists plead it isn't their fault and avoid punishment.

Finally, a police campaign to enforce all cyclists to have lights will have little impact. A police campaign to enforce all dangerous driving will save many lives. Guess which we should focus on?

Maybe if we all have working lights fitted then they'll have one less thing they can use in mitigation.
Then there's more chance of having their dangerous driving addressed.

mjr

Maybe if we all have working lights fitted then they'll have one less thing they can use in mitigation.
:rofl: I suspect we could all be saints or ninjas and it would make approximately naff all difference to the chance of having their dangerous driving addressed.

Anyone who demands that cyclists "all" do anything is being silly - we can no more make all cyclists have working lights than we can make all motorists have insurance.

Tim Hall

I'd rather cyclists and drivers were treated individually rather than part of an amorphous mass. It made no difference to me when my fully lit up bike was hit by an inattentive driver at a roundabout whether no other cyclists it all other cyclists had lights. It was me that ended up in hospital. It was she that didn't get prosecuted.

winjim

Smash the cistern
[QUOTE 5021601, member: 259"]I swapped mine for a bag of gobstoppers.[/QUOTE]
I wonder who got the better deal.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
[QUOTE 5020651, member: 259"]It really is daft riding without lights. It's not as if they're expensive and if there's one thing you can do to actually make yourself more visible, that's it.[/QUOTE]

I find they can actually be quite useful in illuminating the road ahead of me if I use them at night, or when it's really dark (at least the white one which I usually put pointing forwards on my bike). Probably just me, but seems like a really useful side benefit! (rofl).

Top Bottom