Crud catcher fitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cockney Scot

OK dont laugh, just got a crud catcher which attatches to the down tube, no problems attatching it BUT, The crud catcher is wider at one and narrows down, should the widest part be at the top of the frame or the bottom

Mr Pig

Top :0)

Bigtwin

NickM said:
Top. It's to catch crud flung off the front tyre. That crud is flung upwards, spreading out more the further from the tyre it travels.

Exactly - and the bottom is further from the tyre.

I have serveral - most are the same width. However, two have a rubber flappy bit to join with the downtube/headtube junction, and get wider from there.

NickM

Veteran
Most of the crud that hits the top of the crud catcher has travelled further than the crud that hits its bottom, and has therefore spread out further laterally.

I don't have one of these things, you understand - I'm talking about how they ought to be, not necessarily about how they are :eek:

Bigtwin

NickM said:
Most of the crud that hits the top of the crud catcher has travelled further than the crud that hits its bottom, and has therefore spread out further laterally.

I don't have one of these things, you understand - I'm talking about how they ought to be, not necessarily about how they are :eek:

You have a strange bike!

On all mine, the down tube gets further from the wheel as you go towards the bottom bracket. Therefore, the shite that sprays up from the bottom of the tyre is a wider pattern that that which comes off the tyre nearer the steerer.

NickM

Veteran
Depends on the shite vector, I would say. I reckon it's more vertical than horizontal, though I suppose the lug pattern of the tyre and the consistency of the shite could well have an effect on the shite release characteristics of the combination.

I know! Make a crud catcher that's wide all the way down!

Jonathan M

porkypete said:
The shite vector would also depend on the rotational speed of the wheel.

Of course if you were going fast enough you would want proper mudguards not those new-fangled crud thingies

Very true, and relatively speaking a wheel/tyre is turning at its fastest at the top, so as the wheel turns through the mud, the shite vector should be narrowest at its top.

The wider section goes at the top though to collect the shite flung up during the periods when the wheel is turned away from central.

Top Bottom