Crumbles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Pear crumble is the king of crumbles. Close royal family include rhubarb and apple, especially a caramel apple (yes, new-tangled but so good). Any crumble is nobility though. Custard is a must although as a kid we had them with evaporated milk, which I recall being heavenly.

PK99

Legendary Member
Plum crumble is one of my favourites. But then I do have plenty of plum trees in the garden. :angel:

I'm off in a bit to see if the organic veg chap has any rhubarb. I fancy another rhubarb and banana crumble. :blush:

Try Plum and Rhubarb.

Did one on Sunday. Last year's plums from the freezer and freshly picked rhubarb.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I've got a bunch of about-to-go-off bananas and I'm wondering what to pair them with this time after my (delicious) banana and apple crumble a while back. I'm thinking either rhubarb, blackberries, pineapple or blueberries (or a combination thereof)....

And should it be custard, cream or ice cream :scratch:

What do you crumble aficionados reckon?

Only tried so far with apple , can't wait to try it with some rhubarb and custard off course :hungry:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Just tried loquat crumble... wunderbar!
I've had to look up what a loquat is - sounds delicious!

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Rhubarb stewing in the pan ready for a crumble and the finished article.

Last edited:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
SiL gave us some red goosegogs.

What to do with them, the easy option of just stewing and serving with Greek yoghourt which is going spare, make a crumble, or look for a Hairy Berry ™ recipe. Decided on crumble. Next decision, use Magimix or fingers, as taught me by my dear mama. Fingers are marginally easier to clean, so decision made. Used Tamasin Day-Lewis's quantities, despite feeling she's a bit heavy on the butter (225g flour, 170g butter, 85g sugar).
No sugar in the gooseberries, as they were just about sweet enough. Four minutes on medium in the microwave, covered, to get them started before covering with the crumble mix. Photo makes the top look paler (and curiously like cauliflower!) than it actually was.
Absolutely delicious, but I've made a note to reduce the butter proportion next time.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Proportion of butter duly reduced, now 230g flour, 130g butter and 85g demerara sugar, much better!
Remains of last night's plum crumble. (Lidl had punnets of "tree-ripened" plums on offer last weekend.)
Next one is likely to be free brambles, possibly with apples from a wayside tree I noticed a few days ago - good excuse for a ride!

Top Bottom