Crumbles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Still experimenting with reducing the butter proportion. This is the result of a bramble (blackberry) foray along the banks of the Trent, away from road pollution. In about 30 minutes I collected more than enough for 3 crumbles. Two portions of fruit are in the freezer for my sister-in-law, this one is our reward - a four portion delight.
After pumping up the front wheel of the Brompton, the valve parted company with the tube. I took what little advantage could be claimed to fit a new Schwalbe Contact Urban to replace the 10+ years old Marathon. It feels sprightlier!

Poacher

Arrived late at Heckington car boot on Monday (third car boot of the morning!). One trader was starting to pack away but had 4 punnets (500gm each?) of greengages at 50p per punnet. I reached for one and he said "Do you want all 4 for a quid?". Well, why not? After picking through them, giving the best to our neighbours :angel:, and using the bruised/split ones for this crumble, there are still plenty for eating raw (delicious!) or making another, even bigger crumble, or possibly a pot of jam. Decisions, decisions!
I'm sure many folk assume they're unripe, just because they're green; our neighbour didn't even know what they were!

Arrived late at Heckington car boot on Monday (third car boot of the morning!). One trader was starting to pack away but had 4 punnets (500gm each?) of greengages at 50p per punnet. I reached for one and he said "Do you want all 4 for a quid?". Well, why not? After picking through them, giving the best to our neighbours :angel:, and using the bruised/split ones for this crumble, there are still plenty for eating raw (delicious!) or making another, even bigger crumble, or possibly a pot of jam. Decisions, decisions!
I'm sure many folk assume they're unripe, just because they're green; our neighbour didn't even know what they were!
View attachment 607124

Greengage jam, deffo!

Equal quantities fruit (stoned) to sugar. Leave overnight as is, then make jam as per usual. The sugar will draw out enough moisture from the fruit that you won't need to bother adding any water.

I have discovered a wonderful way of getting jars of home-made jam, ready-to-bake crumbles and other similar fruity goodies, without any of the usual faff of growing, picking, boiling, jarring, soaking, etc.
I simply make a careful note of where the best eg sloe harvest is to be found, on my bike rides along towpaths, woodland cycle tracks and teeny-tiny lanes and tell my next-door neighbour. I already have a jar of bramble jam he made at the weekend, have been promised sloe gin for christmas and a 'range' of wild fruit chutneys are expected in the next few weeks now I've also located a couple of crab-apple trees ...

I have discovered a wonderful way of getting jars of home-made jam, ready-to-bake crumbles and other similar fruity goodies, without any of the usual faff of growing, picking, boiling, jarring, soaking, etc.
I simply make a careful note of where the best eg sloe harvest is to be found, on my bike rides along towpaths, woodland cycle tracks and teeny-tiny lanes and tell my next-door neighbour. I already have a jar of bramble jam he made at the weekend, have been promised sloe gin for christmas and a 'range' of wild fruit chutneys are expected in the next few weeks now I've also located a couple of crab-apple trees ...

Well, that's one way of going about it :laugh:

I prefer to keep my foraging spots close to my chest - had a pannier of apples the other evening. ^_^

Poacher

Greengage jam, deffo!

Equal quantities fruit (stoned) to sugar. Leave overnight as is, then make jam as per usual. The sugar will draw out enough moisture from the fruit that you won't need to bother adding any water.
Good call. 625 gm fruit, same of white granulated sugar. Four small jars (is that all?!). Looks like being a very firm set.
Basic error - started cooking with the plums just halved after stoning; late decision to go for smaller pieces led to some panicked scissor work in the pan! Makes a change from my usual output of mango chutney (five 1lb jars made yesterday) and marmalade.

Good call. 625 gm fruit, same of white granulated sugar. Four small jars (is that all?!). Looks like being a very firm set.
Basic error - started cooking with the plums just halved after stoning; late decision to go for smaller pieces led to some panicked scissor work in the pan! Makes a change from my usual output of mango chutney (five 1lb jars made yesterday) and marmalade.
View attachment 607260

Looks good. :okay: Greengage jam is lovely on buttered brioche :hungry:

Another chutney & marmalade maker here. :blush:

Recently acquired a job lot of oranges and limes on yellow sticker, made one batch of orange & lime, and one batch of lime & ginger. There is a promising quantity of green tomatoes in the garden that are earmarked for chutney. Likewise bramley apples.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Apple and blackberry for me as the flavours are rich/deep and has a sharpness which i think would be lacking using bananas, would lack texture as well. I like making cheesecakes too with cream and more cream! ^_^

Top Bottom