CTC Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transexual Ride to Brighton Pride 1st August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Oh feck it. It's only water, after all.
As long as it's not raining when I wake up I'll be there.
If I'm not there by 0750 assume I'm not coming...

GrumpyGreg said:
even more important to turn out if one is to constitute probably 1/15th of the CTC's LGBaTRtP. An elite group of wheelers... (Thinks...bet it'll be quick and I'll be the slowest. Damn!)

Out of 60k members 15 ain't many. 0.025% of the national membership give or take.

A very elite group of wheelers indeed.

An even smaller percentage than that, seeing as I'm straight!

delthebike

First post on CC. :biggrin: But I get to bore you all with my pics. :smile:

First one back from this ride. Mainly because I only went to HPC to say hello and take a picture or two.
You'll have to sort out who's who amongst yourselves as I only know a couple of them and some I have ridden with but forget their names, my apologies.
At HPC, brave souls all.
ccgroup.jpg

Outside some landmark or other.
battersea.jpg

Can't think of where this one is.
bigben.jpg

Some bridge and a big dinghy.
towerb.jpg

Full size images are here, http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/delthebike/Ccpride.

I also tried to find the Bicycle Polo, somewhere in Southwark but the closest I got was to see some poloers ride very fast somewhere to play polo. I couldn't chase as I was on the London Bridge taking a shot of the big dinghy. Instead I found a rather good cafe in the City where I had second breakfast courtesy of a full English and a nuts-in-sugar-and-glucose-and-honey bar. Lovely nom noms. Third Breakfast was a snack from a newsagent in Hornchurch.

Thanks all,

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
delthebike said:
Grumpy Greg, Flying Dodo, Charlie, User10571, yr ob'd't srv'nt, Sue, (...), Origamist, CTC Councillor Barry Jordon, Vanessa, Jim, Clive B, Marylin B, Aperitif. There were a few more - we had, I think, 20 in all rolling in to Horley.

delthebike said:
Third Breakfast was a snack from a newsagent in Hornchurch.
And I ask again - where does he put it?

This sort of worked. The FNRttC hypnocracy did the business. 'Teef and Flying Dodo pitched in for TEC duties, Origamist and User10571 pulled the ride up when it got too stretched out, and all sorts weighed in with the wayfinding. We tiddled along at a moderate pace, taking a slightly more direct, and main-roady course south of Horley, and Grumpy Greg showed us a neat little trick at Pyecombe.

We arrived at around ten to two, just as big raindrops started to splash down. Team pics were taken, and I wandered in to Pride, which, in truth, was a great big funfair with added Europop and some tasty sponsors stands. I remembered to take a picture
DSC00016.jpg

and made my way to the station and home.

Grumpy Greg sent me a text remarking on the great company, and it was great company. I met some people that I would otherwise not have met, and liked every one. The B2036 isn't particularly pretty but it gets you there in good time (it was the road of choice for Brighton bound cyclists for many years). So, a really good day out, and our good fortune with the weather made it more so.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Great ride, great company.

The rain held off (well almost, 2 miles from the Pride Festival the clouds opened), the wind was light and it was positively balmy...

Only one puncture and a minor spill. Traffic was OK, but there were a few notable "interactions" (what was it you were called Greg/Martin?). A couple of hills were encountered and dispatched, but the Ditchling was circumvented.

Waitrose in Horley provided a decent coffee and cake and after that pit-stop, the miles flew by.

Brighton was awash with lycra and muscle - and that was just the CycleChat contingent...

Thanks to Simon, User10571, GG, Martin and Adam (and the others) for another well organised ride.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I don't know how it is round your way, but, if Streatham Hill is anything to go by, we really did have the best of the weather. It's tipping it down.

The Babe and I were comparing days. She told me she was exhausted. She'd had a manicure, a pedicure and a facial. And then been to Johnny Loulous. By comparison, riding 60+ miles is a piece of cake.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Origamist said:
Brighton was awash with lycra and muscle - and that was just the CycleChat contingent....
Did you see the boys in the red thongs and garters? Some of them made Aperitif look like a 7 stone weakling!!!!!!

Origamist

Legendary Member
Would you believe it - v heavy rain in Streatham Park too!

Missed those guys, but did see one chap who looked like he was hewn from granite, with only a scallop codpiece to protect his modesty.

Off for a curry and pint now...

Next to Dodo is Charlie, After Barry is Vanessa, then Jim (Barry's partner) I think it was Adrian who was the partner of Vanessa. He was taking a photo opposite delthebrek...

Fabulous morning for a ride! The usual place - the unusual time - for the CTC LGTB Group ride to Brighton Pride. Who else could possible lead such a trip, save for Frankie Howerd...it was Mr Legg of dellzeqq fame!
A more than prompt start led to Gerald arriving alongside me as we turned at Sloane Square and exclaiming "Are you lot going to Brighton?" He had bombed it down from Walthamstow for an 08:00 start and we were gone! :smile:
Never mind, he was integrated into the peloton as we wended our way to the wiver Thames. dellthebike put in a cameo appearance before exiting
stage left pursued by...nobody! We carried on and crossed the river.
Clive - in hard man mood, tested the tarmac with his whipcord effect body - resulting in a blood injury. I didn't see this as I was 'following up behind' - chatting to nice Jim from the West Kent CTC. He was running out of gears negotiating a road hump so it was a patient exercise in teamwork that got him to Brighton - well done him. (I'm joking about the speed humps by the way Jim!...:rolleyes:)
Plenty of respite at various points, including a Waitrose - ("Never Knowingly Underfed" :smile:)

308duyv.jpg

Anyone would think this bike was from another Planet...Planet Dodo!

We didn't do Turners Hill or Ditchling Beacon but there were enough lumps and bumps on the way to keep Origamist busy...Matt was our chief hillclimber this trip. User10571 was all over the place - nothing new there! :smile:
Plenty of new faces - of course, and pleasant chit chat ensued at the stops. We ventured past the teddy bears on the balcony, went down Lonesome Lane - where I spotted this chap:

2wntdmx.jpg

Obviously the "Lonesome Cowboy"

There was another chap ready to give a rendition of 'Saucepan Bach a Merry on an ark..." (However the Welsh songy thing goes...)

mafeh3.jpg

And we arrived! It started to rain persistently. I got the jitters as I saw a group of youths tinkering with a bottle of champagne. I can't stand seeing it being shaken up and sprayed everywhere. Luckily, they were thirsty and the cork was twisted out sensibly without spillage - I relaxed!
We 'officially terminated' the ride at the entrance to Preston Park - which is about ten minutes pedal to the seafront.
The rainbow flag was unfurled and Barry (shown below taking a picture of his partner Jim - looking ecstatic!) recorded the moment.

2413seg.jpg

It made for interesting conversation as User10571 proudly announced that he "taped his to the handlebars but was looking for something a bit different".
Well.
It proves that everyone loves User10571's banana!

Marilyn took a fancy to a nice white bike left outside the park...

e9utc2.jpg

This 'gent' was full of good cheer - cutting a suave figure in fetching shirt (as in fetching up)xx(xx(
4vo778.jpg

It was easy to take 'sensational' photos - it was that sort of occasion...
hurb51.jpg

If the weather had been gooder, I would have gone for a mosey inside but hunger pangs came a huntin' me and I departed to the seafront and Madeira!

2ufewkh.jpg

En route to the seafront I did a :biggrin::headshake::sad::headshake::smile: as these two hove into view. I asked for their photo and they were pleased. I felt small and insignificant in their splendid company. Great!

j9raix.jpg

I went to the Madeira Café for this:
34edead.jpg

An Unidentified Frying Object - actually a veggieburger + two teas. The weather was ok by then and I was sitting outside watching the world go by -as you do and I thought that a return trip was feasible, given the light cloud and warm weather.
Bum bum bum bum bum!
I weaved my way through the throbbing, crowded town centre towards the Devils Dyke and it rained enough and more - incessant teeming rain which was stinging as I descended at 64kph. The roads got worse with surface water everywhere - cars drenching me with impunity. Mind, once thoroughly wet - it didn't matter anymore! I tried to picture the wetness without getting a wet saddle - impossible!
72rp14.jpg

I pulled in to a sweet shop and the woman behind the counter said "Well it's not too bad..." I was dripping like a shower. As my ten gallons of Lucozade came to £3.26 I said "Oh - you may as well give me a lottery lucky dip for tonight then please." She replied "Oh ok - but you shouldn't expect to win - I wouldn't bother with the odds as they are..."
I got out quick to check if I had teleported to Royston Vaisey.
Can't remember where it was now, but I sheltered under the frontage of a shop called "And So To Bed" - if only! Tried again to snap the wetness...

mvt8hx.jpg

And again...

2rdkot2.jpg

The pictures cannot do the sky 'justice' - but it was dark, bleak and sopping. I put my lights on when leaving Brighton and they stayed on...terrible conditions. First thing on getting back - a bath, for both me and my cycling apparel - filthy! Something to eat and then settling down to write this soupcon of reportage.
(I'll add here that twice there has been a power spike - lost most first time and the last section the second.:wacko:)
So. Thanks to all who shared a bit of time with me today - as ever, enjoyable to group ride, and well done that tiny operative inside my Garmin who behaved really well, guiding me past Westhumble Station and leading an unknowing me into a real 'granny grinder' of a slope! Possibly I could have done it in a 39 x 25 - possibly, but I doubt it. In Mouseketeer parlance... "Bloody steep!"
Give me back my midnights!
217kms + the dust today - only paying scant homage to A roads and using narrow little country lanes - except they were all flooded and I got a drenching every time a car passed. Sometimes you can't win! :tongue:

PS - I also forgot to press the Start button on my Garmin - although I was following a 'course' - couldn't work out why it wasn't beeping.:wacko:

mike e

Great write up Teef, inspired reading for my forthcoming outing. Sounds like a good time was had by all. You returned solo?? in completely crap conditions. This is just the wingman I need next Saturday;)

Origamist

Legendary Member
Aperitif said:
Next to Dodo is Charlie, After Barry is Vanessa, then Jim (Barry's partner) I think it was Adrian who was the partner of Vanessa. He was taking a photo opposite delthebrek...

Next to Simon L is Sue.

Excellent write-up and pics...

mike e said:
Great write up Teef, inspired reading for my forthcoming outing. Sounds like a good time was had by all. You returned solo?? in completely crap conditions. This is just the wingman I need next Saturday;)

Yes - no problem...I tentatively planned a 'Lurgeshall revisited' return (which is near Hull...well, nearer Hull than Bognor!:biggrin:) Might be a travail on fixed though! (Can't do it with a jamboree bag of gears, me!!!)
Only joking mike e...good luck!

Yesterday, Vanessa and Adrian(?) did the ride on S/Speed. They were the youngest in the party by 'a few years'...he had a new saddle :tongue: which looked as if it had come from the bargain bin at DFS - cue a sore ar$e after 20k.:smile:
6s9dg5.jpg

Charge for her and pillow on a stick for him...:smile:

There was another chap, Steve, who joined us en route - he was staying in Brighton and kept saying how he was going to go to the hotel and freshen up, have a hot bath etc :smile: - he sure knew how to wind up this damp, hungry writer!:smile: Nice chap though.
And a girl with an ONCE Giant cycle - quite an odd looking thing...(the bike - silly!) - she kept escaping uphill with Sue (well done Matt for getting the name), exclaiming "Don't worry, you'll catch me up on the descents..." <Looks for photo>

166gggo.jpg

There's just so much Shimano around these days...maybe I'll have to try it out. Is it any good? B)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Origamist said:
Great ride, great company.

The rain held off (well almost, 2 miles from the Pride Festival the clouds opened), the wind was light and it was positively balmy...

Only one puncture and a minor spill. Traffic was OK, but there were a few notable "interactions" (what was it you were called Greg/Martin?). A couple of hills were encountered and dispatched, but the Ditchling was circumvented.

We are known collectively henceforth as the "single file, f uckwits!"

Shouting this, in the imperative, at two large ex-rugby players, whilst making the classic *anker hand signal is best done from the safety one's departing car. As it was on my commute route a mental note has was made of make model and reg number. Revenge may be swift.

my fav was the angry driver in crawley screaming "you should have f ucking warned us about this" whilst I was waymarking, whose patience was exhausted by a one minute delay caused by her inability to overtake a mere 15 cyclists out for a bit of a ride. The town the lovely Helen and I grew up in, and where the lovely Helen teaches; still as full of morons as it ever was, and we went through what passes for the posh bit, the catchment of the lovely Helen's school.

Top Bottom