CTC or British Cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Posted on another bit of the forum, but it got me thinking..
I might swap to CTC when my BC membership expires, no real reason but thought I may as well try both?

I was thinking of doing the same. I was a CTC member for a year, about 4 years ago. I was cycle commuting regularly. Then I got 'credit crunched'. There was a period when I had nowhere to commute to..... The bike was hung up and I started running instead.
Anyway, I'm now getting back into it. I'll probably be doing anywhere up to 4 days a week. 15 miles each way, plus a bit of leisure/sport cycling.
So I was thinking about joining 'an organisation', primarily for the insurance etc. I had a scan of British Cycling a few months ago.
I've just done a quick scan of the threads and couldn't see anything. I could be opening a can of worms here(?) But just thought I'd ask.
Anyone got a link to a thread where there's a 'compare and contrast' of the pro's and cons of CTC and British Cycling membership?
Or anyone got any opinion/advice?
I'm not a competitive cyclist, it's mainly fun, to reduce costs and reduce my waistline. Although in the next couple of years I may investigate time trialling, audax, sportive etc. This year I've got enough on with my first triathlons...

Same, I'm neither for or against either - both seem to do similiar benefits so which is better:wacko:

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
The benefits are really pretty similar, especially at the lower-end (cheaper) of the BC memberships. I went BC because I want to race, and so needed a licence. Because of that I had to have at least silver membership, which also means I get the 12% Wiggle discount... That for me makes it worthwhile

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Hi.

I have both CTC and BC for different disciplines. If you want cover for just knocking about like shopping / commute they ain't much in it. Both CTC and BC come in at about £35 a year. Of what I think every cyclist should have.

I'd look at what you want to be doing next and take it from there

If it's audax you'll be doing next then you will need CTC as they don't except BC apparently.

If it's racing /TT you'll be doing next you'll need BC as they don't except CTC though you will need to get both the insurance £35 and race licence of what is another £35 taking it to £70 a year

Then you have your audax membership. I pay £50 a time I think for a five year membership and then £5+ per event. Then if your racing that can be £5 + per event you enter.

I don't think you need any of the above for sportives ? Not sure as I don't do them

Hope that helps

snorri

Legendary Member
I suppose a look at the websites would be good start, BC tends towards sport cycling, whilst CTC appears to be more involved with trying to improve the lot of cyclists on our roads.
Lycra and a helmet appear to be de rigeur in BC, so take your pick!

The benefits are really pretty similar, especially at the lower-end (cheaper) of the BC memberships. I went BC because I want to race, and so needed a licence. Because of that I had to have at least silver membership, which also means I get the 12% Wiggle discount... That for me makes it worthwhile

BTW you get the 12% on the 'Ride' membership as well (commute) - I haven't used it much though btu thats more down to Wiggle being rubbish lately lol

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Lol CTC are offering 50 % off vision express.

What next, 50 % off walking sticks and tweed leather patched jackets ?

Wiggle >>>>>>>>>

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Lol CTC are offering 50 % off vision express.

What next, 50 % off walking sticks and tweed leather patched jackets ?

Wiggle >>>>>>>>>

OTOH it might be worthwhile getting our lass to join. Last time she got some it was £250+, mainly down to the prescription in one eye.

Top Bottom