Cube Bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5114680, member: 45"]Thanks. I spotted the Hyde last night when I was surfing for reviews. It might be a better compromise for me, with the options to be run faster or loaded up with guards and pannier. Hydro discs and belt drive for less than £800 is pretty cheap.[/QUOTE]

That approach could work.

It's all but certain the bike has all the bosses, so you could pick and choose carrier and mudguard options.

It also has Cube's own propstand mount, which is neat if you want a propstand but all but invisible if you don't.

No dynohub, so you would have to use battery lights.

D

Deleted member 23692

I had a 2013 Cube Hyde Race. A superb town/commuting bike for the money... low maintenance and bomb poof too

D

Deleted member 23692

[QUOTE 5114697, member: 45"]One of the reviews said it was twitchy and a bit slow for a stripped bike. Did you find that?[/QUOTE]No, not at all, but I suppose that depends on what your used to riding.

If your used to modern 740mm+ MTB handle bars you may find the 560mm bars on the Hyde a tad twitchy. but even at 560 they are wide compared to a road bike, which it's more akin to comparing geometry. As for slow.. it's quite heavy for what it is, but it's got a hub gear and a very strong frame which it needs for it's intended purpose as a city bike.

Comparing my own commute times between my Hyde and Planet X London Road (drop bar with Shimano 105), the Hyde is only around 1mph slower on average.

Gratuitous photo time :smile:

Hyde Race 01-15 Rear.jpg

D

Deleted member 23692

... just had a thought.... my bike came with Schwalbe Road Cruisers that were painfully slow. I soon swapped them for bargain priced folding Vittoria Voyager Hypers from Planet X and it transformed the ride.

Click for awesome cheapness

D

Deleted member 23692

I went for the 38mm for the comfort.

The mudguards are Cube's own brand aluminium ones, but they don't do those type any more. A very daft decision on their part IMO.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I have a Stereo hpcr. Brilliant. But its a 3k bike so it should be to be fair.

They have had their problems as have canyon specialized trek etc but id buy anothet Cube tomorrow.
I was after a cube when i got my new Marin.
They had no stock so looked elswhere

Levo-Lon

Guru
Only thing to be aware of @User is sizing they tend to be a bit on the big side so if your borderline small medium I'd look at small.
I have a small Boardman and a small cube..as is the Marin but they all said medium although they were just in medium.
I'm 5 8" with a 30 inside leg

I had a cube cross SL comp hybrid when I was getting back into cycling a few years back. It did everything it said on the tin. I did a few rides with my local ctc, commuted to work and used it for shorter rides at the weekend. It had lugs for mud guards, but not a rack. The frame was alu, and I found it a bit lacking in feel, which seems to be a common comment on cube frames, but it hardly detracted from the bike. I went one size up on this compared to my normal frame size. The medium felt a bit too short for me.
Cubes are generally well specced bikes for the price. I would have another one tomorrow as a general about town bike.

D

Deleted member 23692

Only thing to be aware of @User is sizing they tend to be a bit on the big side
I think the sizing has got better over the years. My 2011 Peloton was a 58cm but the geometry was the virtually the same (within 1-2mm) as my 56cm 2015 SL Road Race. Incidentally my 2013 Hyde Race was a 54cm frame that was not substantially different to the other 2 either. In short if it fits, its fits :smile:

[QUOTE 5117809, member: 45"]I think these are close? - https://www.actionsports.de/en/sks-edge-al-fender-set-24905[/QUOTE]They do look very close to the indeed... but does anywhere have them in sotck?

D

Deleted member 23692

[QUOTE 5118219, member: 45"]What's your height and inside leg?[/QUOTE]5'10" and 31½" (gusset to floor)

... or top of pedal at (bottom dead centre) to top of saddle = 35½"

D

Deleted member 23692

[QUOTE 5118215, member: 45"]I suspect that the guards you had were SKS's previous version, made for Cube. The photos of the old ones look identical to yours.[/QUOTE] The only branding on mine is the wee plastic doobry that holds the stays to the guards and I've not manged to match the logo to any thing else - it;s not Cube or SKS so I've really no idea. The fittings don't match anything else I've come across either. Who knows?

Levo-Lon

Guru
I think the sizing has got better over the years. My 2011 Peloton was a 58cm but the geometry was the virtually the same (within 1-2mm) as my 56cm 2015 SL Road Race. Incidentally my 2013 Hyde Race was a 54cm frame that was not substantially different to the other 2 either. In short if it fits, its fits :smile:

They do look very close to the indeed... but does anywhere have them in sotck?

Maybe it's just me then..i found the mtb sizing large.
I have a 16 as the 18 was just big.
It could be the road focussed frames are more compact ?

Goggs

Guru
I have a 2016 Cube Hyde Pro. The quality is excellent imo. I can't comment on the belt drive as my one is chain driven but to be honest, being used to all the chain noises coming from my derailleur geared bikes over the last 40 years my straight chainline is incredibly quiet.

Pay heed to what folks are saying regarding frame sizing. They're definitely sized on the large side. I ended up replacing the handlebar stem with a BBB cheapie of shorter reach & greater rise. I'd buy another one, put it that way. Although I'd really like Cube to go all out with an E-Hyde Race. I'd definitely buy that. Oh, and if you buy a Hyde do yourself a favour & buy the Cube kickstand designed for it. It's a lovely piece of modern design.

I bought my bike from this online shop...

https://www.bike-discount.de/
https://www.bike-discount.de/
They're based in Germany and delivered my (in stock) bike in 4 days. I do live in France however, the UK might be a bit slower.

Good luck.

Top Bottom