1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cube Bikes?

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Mister Paul, 12 Jan 2018.

Tags:
  1. Buck

Buck Veteran

I have a Cube Peloton and it’s an amazing bike with good spec and no issues with the bike. They are good value for money.

2. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

The Cube Centre at Infinity Cycles has a Cube Hyde Race in stock and with a bit knocked off.

I think it's the naked version of the Travel you are interested in.

Cube, as you've seen, offer a ludicrously large range of bikes.

Good in a way, but it means the chances of seeing the model you are interested in in stock are low.

I would also be a bit wary of the ordering process.

Fine if the shop can genuinely say the bike is at a warehouse in the UK.

But a factory order can take months, if it ever arrives at all.

Infinity is at Langley Moor near Durham City, possibly not much good for a Cycle to Work customer in Somerset.

But they are known to be honest and straightforward, unlike some dealers who wlll take an order and then welch on the quoted delivery date.

https://www.durham.cubebikestore.eu/668/products/cube-hyde-race-black-green.aspx

Mister Paul likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

Thanks. I spotted the Hyde last night when I was surfing for reviews. It might be a better compromise for me, with the options to be run faster or loaded up with guards and pannier. Hydro discs and belt drive for less than £800 is pretty cheap.

Jamieyorky likes this.
  4. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

That approach could work.

It's all but certain the bike has all the bosses, so you could pick and choose carrier and mudguard options.

It also has Cube's own propstand mount, which is neat if you want a propstand but all but invisible if you don't.

No dynohub, so you would have to use battery lights.

Mister Paul likes this.
  5. Ffoeg

Ffoeg .

I had a 2013 Cube Hyde Race. A superb town/commuting bike for the money... low maintenance and bomb poof too

Mister Paul likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

One of the reviews said it was twitchy and a bit slow for a stripped bike. Did you find that?

7. Ffoeg

Ffoeg .

No, not at all, but I suppose that depends on what your used to riding.

If your used to modern 740mm+ MTB handle bars you may find the 560mm bars on the Hyde a tad twitchy. but even at 560 they are wide compared to a road bike, which it's more akin to comparing geometry. As for slow.. it's quite heavy for what it is, but it's got a hub gear and a very strong frame which it needs for it's intended purpose as a city bike.

Comparing my own commute times between my Hyde and Planet X London Road (drop bar with Shimano 105), the Hyde is only around 1mph slower on average.

Gratuitous photo time :smile:

Hyde Race 01-15 Rear.jpg

Toshiba Boy, Goggs, Jenkins and 2 others like this.
  8. Ffoeg

Ffoeg .

... just had a thought.... my bike came with Schwalbe Road Cruisers that were painfully slow. I soon swapped them for bargain priced folding Vittoria Voyager Hypers from Planet X and it transformed the ride.

Click for awesome cheapness

Toshiba Boy likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

What size Voyagers did you go for? And what are those guards in the photo?

10. Ffoeg

Ffoeg .

I went for the 38mm for the comfort.

The mudguards are Cube's own brand aluminium ones, but they don't do those type any more. A very daft decision on their part IMO.

Mister Paul likes this.
  11. meta lon

meta lon Guru

I have a Stereo hpcr. Brilliant. But its a 3k bike so it should be to be fair.

They have had their problems as have canyon specialized trek etc but id buy anothet Cube tomorrow.
    I was after a cube when i got my new Marin.
    They had no stock so looked elswhere

12. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Only thing to be aware of @Mister Paul is sizing they tend to be a bit on the big side so if your borderline small medium I'd look at small.
    I have a small Boardman and a small cube..as is the Marin but they all said medium although they were just in medium.
    I'm 5 8" with a 30 inside leg

13. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

The sizing is interesting. I was in Certini on Saturday. They don't have the Hyde in store so fitted me for an SL. The medium was ok height-wise, but too short to the bars. They suggested going up a size, a large in the Hyde. But comparing the Hyde dimensions with the SL, the medium Hyde (54) is bigger than the medium SL (53). And anyway, the next size up in the Hyde is 58. So I think a medium Hyde will be ok.

meta lon likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

15. Drago

Drago Guru

The only downside is riding round on a bicycle made by a firm named after a slang term for testicles.