Cube Bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

Maybe it's just me then..i found the mtb sizing large.
I have a 16 as the 18 was just big.
It could be the road focussed frames are more compact ?
My old Cube hard tail is an 18" frame with 26" wheels so I assume I'd need a smaller one now to keep the standover height similar now that the modern have wheels have got bigger?

Goggs

Guru
[QUOTE 5120298, member: 45"]Cube Hyde Race ordered, arriving Monday.[/QUOTE]

It's gonna be amazing. Oh, did I mention the saddle? It looks beautiful but it's the work of the devil. Bin it.

Have fun.

Crankarm

Guru

I hadn't realised I needed a new bike, but you have inspired me to consider this one.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Sounds like a good choice for your requirements.

Did you establish how the belt is tensioned?

The bike doesn't appear to have sliding dropouts, but it does have Thun's Zumba bottom bracket.

This is good because Thun designed it to work with the belt, which is particularly picky in terms of line.

Zumba doesn't appear to be eccentric, so there is presumably some other way of adjusting belt tension.

Or perhaps the thinking is that as the belt cannot stretch, no adjustment is needed after it's been installed at the factory.

I've never had a belt, but have not heard the few belt bike owners I've spoken to say it needs adjustment.

https://thun.de/project/zumba/

Serge

Über Member
[QUOTE 5130510, member: 45"]It's arrived! Finally. TNT were supposed to deliver on Monday (when I could have received it) but messed up, so I had failed deliveries on Tuesday and Wednesday. I picked it up from the depot this morning. Don't imagine that you'll get the box in your car.

Have a look at the picture. The bottom stays have a slider, fixed by the two bolts.[/QUOTE]
How are you finding it three months in?

alfinehubhybrid

Glad to hear you're pleased with the bike; it's been useful to see your step by step decisions on your purchase as I have a similar criteria.
I see you chose the Hyde Race over the Cube Travel SL. Accessories aside do you think it would handle easy touring/ off-road Sustrans long distance routes etc in much the same way as the Travel SL? The geometries look similar and I guess the weight difference is mostly from the acessories.

At the moment I'm angling between the Hyde Race, Travel SL & Pinnacle Lithium Alfine.

Hassle free commuting with the odd bi-annual longer 100mile sustrans route; not worried about speed but both the Cube's look good value for a do everything in moderation, hassle-free bike.
P.S Hope you don't mind me asking; As someone who's also Bristol based, I found neither Evans or Snow&Rock much help with the Cube bikes; was it the specalized store near Ikea you used or the triathalon one in the centre?

Glasgow

Regular
I bought a Cube Hyde Race back in May - seemed the perfect winter commuter with hub gears and carbon drive.
It was a great bike until after a month it went back to the shop for a check and came out with terrible brake rub from the back disk whenever I stood up in the pedals, used a higher gear or just went up a hill. Sounded like someone behind me sharpening a knife. I was beginning to have nightmares about Freddie Kruger following me.
After weeks of arguing with Evans Cycles who were adamant there was no fault, I took it to another branch. They had a look at it and concluded they couldn't stop the brake rub. So it's going back - in exchange for a similarly specced BMC Alpenchallenge AC02 ONE.
The manager tells me this is a problem he's seen a few times with bikes that work fine in smaller frame sizes - scale them up and there's too much flax in the frame (I'm 6'1" and 90kg, my bike was a 58cm frame).
The BMC is £300 more (though you can currently get last year's model for the same price as the Cube). I'm hoping it'll have a better frame...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The manager tells me this is a problem he's seen a few times with bikes that work fine in smaller frame sizes

The belt runs at a high tension.

Makes sense a large frame would be more inclined to flex under that tension than a small one.

wevelo

Cube make some very decent bikes!

Great value for money. We have three in our stable and all were well priced and well specced.

Top Bottom