Culinary accident that turned out good

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
The dog made something like that the other day.
And how was it?

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
I disagree. Celery is unusually delicious at the moment, especially with some strong cheddar.
Round here you get 'Fen celery' from about October to December, which is whole, large celery plants with a bit of the root attached. If you stick them in a pot of water they can keep growing for two or three months and you get new small stalks long after you've picked off and eaten the original ones, and then a tiny celeriac root at the end when you finally give up with it. I've still got two sprouting on the kitchen side.

Who knows, they're so good that they might even persuade a @Fab Foodie to the delights of celery.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
That's how celery used to be kept, I believe. Somewhere in a cupboard I have a straight-sided glass container that looks like a vase until you spot the tiny engraved word 'Celery' on it. I understood it to be 'a vase' produced during the post-war 'Utility' restrictions by calling it a celery jar.
Wow, and I thought I'd invented this trick.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Celery is supposed to be the only (or one of the very few) foods that consume more calories in the eating than in the food itself. :unsure: So theoretically, it's the ideal diet food. :huh: However, given that I share @Fab Foodie's opinion of celery, I am not a slim, light-weight figure ... :smile:

And how was it?
I dunno, he didn't really. It was a poor joke at the expense of your lunch which you successfully called me out on, so I'm going to slink off with my tail between my legs and make some pea and ham soup.

Cubist

Still wavin'
A friend of ours now sadly departed invited us round for dinner. He had prepared a casserole and trifle in identical casserole dishes (he didn't own a trifle bowl) and as we arrived he put the casserole in to warm as we drank aperitifs.

After half an hour he went to put the veg on and checked the casserole. To his dismay he discovered he'd accidentally baked the trifle.

All was not lost. We had an extra half an hour of aperitifs and nibbles, and the baked trifle was delicious!

I boiled a pan of chick peas dry this evening while in the next room consulting an online cycling forum, and after retrieving what I could, was left with a mess of dried-out, mushed-up and slightly charred legumes at the bottom. What to do?

Answer :
View attachment 338350
Bit of tahini, olive oil, garlic salt and pepper, some blending and it made a pretty good hummus.
Mmmmm...:hungry:
Um, what else were you planning to make? I almost always turn chickpeas into hummus. Too lazy to make falafel.

Oh, but I have a topical joke I need to share .....

Q Why does Donald Trump sleep with a tub of hummus?
A Because he likes it when a chickpea's in his bed.

Top Bottom