CX Commuter Advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pgs2512

Regular
I'd like to start commuting by bike ( 7 miles each way). I would do this on my road bike but the cycle paths round me don't really deserve the name and the roads to work are mostly dual carriageways (and I rather like being alive!)

I thought a more solid CX bike with wider tyres etc would fit the bill nicely, so I thought i'd check for recommendations. Budget is approx £500 but would go up to £750 if needs be. I'm 5ft 6in so anything between 49 - 52" suits me pretty well (brand dependent). I'd like mudguard and rack mounts if possible.

As above, it would mostly be used on roads and dodgy cycle paths but, as I live very close to some woods/countryside, I'd like to be able to dabble in actual CX and gravel riding every now and again.

All advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Are you sure you want a CX bike? This general sector now includes gravel, adventure and do-it-all bikes. A CX bike is likely to have more road bike type geometry and might not have fittings for a rack if you need to carry stuff.
Evans own Pinnacle brand are good value and have money off right now
https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-lithium-3-2018-hybrid-bike-EV275573
Or if you want drops https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-search-a-sora-2017-adventure-road-bike-EV277745
Try to throw a leg over a few.

OP
OP
P

Pgs2512

Regular
I don't really mind if it's CX/gravel/adventure disciplines, as long as it can comfortably deal with bad surfaces and the odd woodland track. I just went for CX as I heard they are good do-it-alls.

Drops are preferable, I just find them more comfortable. Thank you!

OP
OP
P

Pgs2512

Regular
Thank you Liz, I'll have a look through the other threads :smile:

I've heard mixed things about the Boardmans, they are good looking bikes with good specs (it appears) but I've heard a lot of complaints about the brakes and other bits of setup.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve got a 2014 Boardman team for commuting with rack and mudguards. Now has 32mm slicker tyres as I don't need knobblies on Road and I found them a bit slippy

I’m 5’10 and on a medium (53cm). Boardman use seat tube not TT often for their measurements so check the geometry. If you have a Cycle Republic closeby you can get a test ride

Avid BB5 brakes are poor so best avoid

CX covers a multitude of sins but at the budget end it tends to be a doitall bike with disk brakes and threaded eyelets for rack and mudguards. This is the style you need for everyday commuting. Tyre clearance should be sufficient for at least 32mm+ mudguards but more is better, check if you want to ever fit studded winter tyres such as Schwalbe Winter Marathon. The rear disc brake unit should be mounted on the chainstay to avoid interference with rack and mudguard stays.
Stock CX knobbly tyres are not known for on-road durability.

Top Bottom