cycle buddie in north glasgow?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
Hello guys/girls ! I've been riding for a little while on my own etc but wonder if there's anybody in the north glasgow area area who rides informally?im in springburn and I know we have a few clubs quite near but to be honest I'm not entirely certain I'm of the standard that i would b of a similiar standard as of yet and I don't want to be holding folk back or spending club rides spat out the back, demoralised and on my own. Anybody on here who are fairly casual and don't mind someone like-minded tagging along?
im thinking of runs to falkirk and stuff nothing major ,anything really,more often than not it just ends up me going out myself round the campsies , and itd b good to have a like minded person to give /recieve a bit of moral support

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I tend to be a 'Lone Rider', with no one else but myself to beat.

However, if you can't find anyone else, let me know, I don't bite really.

Tomba

Jim, i'm not too far from you (Dumbarton). Had a wee run up the campsies on Saturday (Crow Rd) for the first time.

I'm like you, not wanting to go out with clubs etc in case I slow them down. I did go out one night with a club a couple of months ago. There were two groups, one fast one slower. I misheard it and went with the fast group and got dropped in the first mile :smile: I then decide to pootle up the hill and over the flyover only to find they waited for me across the flyover :blush: Off we went again and I got dropped pretty quickly again :sad:
I decided i'd need to get better fitness before attempting a club again.

There is a group of cyclists in Glasgow who meet up almost every week for runs. I've only ever met up with one of the guys for a run round Gaerlochead. They're not a club as such and dont think their training/runs are designed to get race fit.
Here is a link to the meetup page http://www.grcm.org.uk/

They're hoping to get out one night next week to Bellahouston park to use the track for hints and tips on how to ride in a group.
I suppose that'd be a good way to get a start cos if you're dropped you get on the back next time round (thats my plan anyway lol)

I'm kind of limited to a Sat morning cos I start work at 4pm and i'm in work 8-4 most Sundays. If a Sat morning suits let me know and we can try and organise something.

Tam.

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
iv actually been out with gcrm lately and they are sound ,my problem is even although they cycle at a pace i can manage (as long as im with the "slow"group ,(and done a few 30s and stuff with them , some of their upcoming rides are 50 ml and the like ,im not sure i could manage this (however i did do gla-edin in pfs but there were a lot of feed stops and it was a social ride) .
grcms ride this sunday is 85km and thats what puts me off , about 20 -30 ml is prob a good starting point ,the thought of saying im gona do 50 ml or something is just setting me up for a fall im afraid ,
i arranged to meet them last time as they were passing close by my house and id tag along ,unknown to me they had split into two groups and obv the first group to pass me was the fast group ,they passed and i tagged along for a mile or so chasing one of their backmarkers ,he asked me what group i was with ,i said slow ,and i nformed me he was tec(tail end charlie ) for the fast ,so i let him continue at a pace i couldnt keep up if im honest and i drooped off and waited till people more in my range came by :blush:
tbh i dont think i could manage the crow ,iv drove it a few times for a recce and it looks a bit daunting ,but gla-dumbarton is more like it ,maybe even a bit further afield but im not at the 100 ml stage lol

Tomba

Tomba! I was hoping I hadn't scared you off, I might see you out on the bike some time!!

Douglas, i'm still as keen :smile:

I'm getting out quite a bit trying to get the miles in for mys first sportive next month (Scottish Bike Show 65 miler). Might need to get together, I need some practice group riding for the sportive.

big vally

I would recommend the GRCM. Have started going out with them recently and they are a very welcoming bunch with riders at a variety of standards.
Web site http://www.grcm.org.uk/
Maybe see you out with them sometime?

Top Bottom