Cycle cam bus driver......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Check out this video, same story, clip from Inside Out http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-31020803

I am not impressed with the part of the clip where the cyclist fails to look behind before signalling right as he enters the roundabout, not a good example ??

nolookie.jpg

Who's filming him, the camera crew?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
OK, so he does not need to look back as the car behind is with him, my bad. And I guess also that he may have looked behind shortly before the clip shows. So on both counts my concerns are unfounded.
Suffice to say, when I do this sort of manoeuvre, I look behind first.

I don't always, to be honest, cos I can hear the engine note. If it gets too close Id glance and make eye contact, a couple of times drivers have aborted an overtake after a glance, which is odd, a dangerous overtake would be ok JUST DONT LOOK AT ME! It's really odd, approaching a pinch point and a car nears, I chuck a lifesaver and they scrub the overtake. If I hadn't looked they presumably would have ploughed on.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think once they see a face, their subconscious realises you're a squishy human and reassesses the risk.

From past history of these type of 'war on the roads' story'sand programmes, why do cyclists keep on giving interviews. I can understand if they think they are doing the right thing but the media just twist and manipulate it to make the cyclists Into stereotypical idiot cyclists and just cause more cycle hate.
It only takes one cyclist to give an interview. There will always be one somewhere.

Given that we can't get everyone to boycott these things, what's our next best course of action?

classic33

Leg End Member
I wonder if it its the same bus driver that used to post on here?

Against company policy, and the laws of commonsense, he used a handheld video camera whilst driving as well as one mounted somewhere in the cab.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I think once they see a face, their subconscious realises you're a squishy human and reassesses the risk.

It only takes one cyclist to give an interview. There will always be one somewhere.

Given that we can't get everyone to boycott these things, what's our next best course of action?
Broadcasting Complaints Commission/Ofcom?

On the other hand, having just looked at it, this page implies that bias and accuracy have to be taken up directly with the broadcaster, and if glen forger is correct (see post on 1st page), you are unlikely to get anywhere. Most of their viewers are drivers...

jarlrmai

Veteran

fimm

Veteran
I think I saw this on the BBC website earlier. He's got "sue perb" on his hi vis. Wasn't there a "sue perb" on here, getting some stick from other posters?

Perhaps - but having experienced the same thing myself, my theory is simply that they felt their upcoming overtake was 'safe' regardless of the fact it was going to be too close. The glance back at them from the cyclist makes them think you are about to move out right, which only then puts you into their "not safe to overtake" zone causing them to abort.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I don't have a problem with using cameras - I do it myself on occasion. But people like Dave Sherry/Sue Perb and TrafficDroid take it too far.
You must really love the videos where they team up at Bow Flyover then. :hugs:

Does his bike look too small for him ?

Reactions: gaz

jarlrmai

Veteran
I've watched a few of Dave's videos doesn't seem to be anything that bad...

Also he seems to have gotten some actual convictions, the recent one where the driver doesn't eve look right or slow down going on to the roundabout.

Top Bottom