Cycle camera w*****s

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by BluesDave, 3 Feb 2019.

1. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit, Ribbit.

Have had one in my van for the past 4 years, have never used anything from it against anyone but its reassuring that if I am involved in an accident, I can show where the blame lies. I also sometimes like to re-watch the journeys at 16x speed.

I also have one on my bike now, its good to be able to keep great video bits of the ride for the future - and I also like it so that I have the ability for a right of reply, if some one does nearly take my life with stupid driving then I have a come back without needing to chase after anyone with the potential of getting into a road rage incident.

I agree the cyclist in the video from your OP took it far too far. But how do we deal with the type of ignorant and dangerous driving that initiated the incident? He should of just handed that footage of the dangerous overtake into the police and let the police prosecute. For me the idea of having a camera is, it takes away the need to get involved directly.

Are you quite happy with others taking liberties with your life?

Tizme, Arjimlad, mickle and 1 other person like this.
  2. theclaud

theclaud It's teeceegawnmaaaad

Yeah cos that's what happens all the time...

jarlrmai likes this.
  3. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit, Ribbit.

ideal world and all that

4. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

Whilst neither of these two come out smelling of roses, why do you think the cyclist even has the camera? Do you think it could be because he is fed up with being treated as a target by people such as this driver who in my opinion should not be in charge of a teddy bear never mind a lethal weapon? Stand back a moment an think objectively, the cyclist is riding along in a good legal position, Mr Toad comes along and commits a crime putting the cyclists life in danger just so he can save a few seconds. Entrapment would be forcing the driver to drive like a nob, not just recording it on the camera. I would not have bothered to chase down the driver, but when the cyclist did, who escalated the discussion, it was the potty mouth driver. Yet you want to come on and blame the cyclist. :wacko:

Tizme, boydj, Slick and 2 others like this.
  5. Jody

Jody Platinum member

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoh_BrHcgfC9vS7G_EDPc3soRQHDcAUuFYlJFfK2hgAMp3TMea.jpg

mickle likes this.
  6. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit, Ribbit.

yes and no
    I won't be getting into a multi page merry-go-round, but I do want put the case for cameras.

If most cyclists carried a camera, and more importantly most drivers knew cyclist had cameras and the police would use the evidence - then a lot of drivers would suddenly start being a whole lot more careful around cyclists.

So more of us should be using cameras and badgering the police to take action - the more of us complaining and the more likelihood the police will give it the seriousness it deserves.

Nothing will ever change if we just accept crap and dangerous driving as acts of god.

steve292, Tizme, johnnyb47 and 13 others like this.
  7. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

For you, yes.

YukonBoy and classic33 like this.
  8. nickAKA

nickAKA Senior Member

Why can't we all just get along?

tve13900-373-19840508-0.jpg

DCBassman and Dogtrousers like this.
  9. Arjimlad

Arjimlad Tights of Cydonia

The One Show had a bland but supportive piece yesterday about the rise of dashcams and cyclecams, and how they can be used by the Police to deal with cockwombles in nine minutes rather than nine hours. So put that in your pipe & smoke it, rude OP :laugh:

lazybloke, boydj, Slick and 2 others like this.
  10. Eddy

Eddy Guru

I concur, the ones who like to poke the bear then upload to Youtube are cockwombles but I do enjoy watching the videos :laugh:

Slick likes this.
  11. nickAKA

nickAKA Senior Member

As usual, the 'live' responses from offended drivers were priceless... the usual tosh about registration plates & insurance, implying cyclists create a fraction of the carnage (some) motorists do.
    Oh, my aching sides.

classic33 and Arjimlad like this.
  12. mustang1

mustang1 Guru

Hilarious. Haven't seen that one for a while.

13. sheddy

sheddy Guru

Arjimlad likes this.
  14. Drago

Drago Guru

No its not. It's called provocation. Under certain circumstances provocation might be used in mitigation, but it is most definitely not a defence.

When starting a thread berating a certain class of person and questioning the legality of their behaviour you should be seeking advice from a solicitor, not the Daily Mail's Twitbook page. Your gross misunderstanding of the law serves only to undermine any point you were attempting to make.

Last edited: 6 Feb 2019
  15. Tizme

Tizme Über Member

I tend not to use my camera now as most of the time I am doing my best to avoid busy roads as I no longer commute, however I wore it virtually all the time when I was.
    I got one after I was threatened by 3 blokes in a truck, they had obviously all been drinking, they pulled alongside me so the passenger could have a go at me and when I turned off they back-tracked to come back at me a second time, I reported the incident to the Police but video evidence would have gone a long way to finding them and possibly prosecuting (I wouldn't have held my breath!). Two days later I was very nearly taken out by a van overtaking a car coming towards me, the driver clearly saw me but decided to overtake anyway (the laugh and wave as he passed was the give away). I had been thinking about getting one prior to this anyway, as the incidents of close passing on my 29 mile round trip, commute over mainly country roads, seemed to be on the increase.
    I realised that the chances were that if I had been killed or seriously injured in either of those incidents the perpetrators would almost definitely got away with it and my family would have forever wondered what had happened. I felt, and still do, that I won't get justice, but my family might get some answers/closure.
    I suspect most of those who use cameras do so because they have been subjected to incidents like mine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice