Cycle computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know this is a stupid question. However on my commute back home, I noticed that speed was no longer showing on the readout. I stopped and had a fiddle with the detector on the fork but without any success. Got home and spent a very frustrating quarter of an hour fiddling with the magnet and detector to the extent that they were about a micron apart and it still would not pick up the turning wheel and give a speed read out.

Any suggestions?

Get a new battery! ;) Honestly, it might be that simple.

TimO

Guru
The contacts between the computer and the mount may be a little dirty, sometimes just taking the computer off and putting it back on can solve the problem. It's best not to use any abrasive on the contacts, since once you start doing that they generally corrode very easily. Something like a small amount of ethyl alcohol, or some other solvent which doesn't leave a deposit may help.

Of course it could also be that at some point, where the cable has flexed, it may have fractured. If so (i) you'll need a soldering iron, and some experience of using one to make a decent repair and (ii) the breaks always seem to occur at the point were the cable is least repairable, ie at the mount or the pickup. ;)

gbyers

Always an annoying problem and not uncommon.

Check the unit on the bar, is there a small contact pin that is required to be pushed in to set unit working (eg Topeak) or metallic contacts. This is a common fault that causes random stoppages.

If it's a wireless set up then change the battery in the sender unit on the fork and then the battery on the head unit.

If it did it when you were less than a mile from home on a 20 mile run where you were heading for a PB, bring your heel down on the head unit as soon as you arrive home. It won't fix anything but you might feel better. ;)

gbyers

Patrick Stevens said:
I've done the above, save for changing the battery, which I recall has been in for the last 3-4,000 miles.

Sounds like the battery's time is up after that mileage.

The topeak unit I had worked for many months after it started playing up just by inserting an energy bar tab foil/plastic end bit between the unit and mount. The contact pin had worn (or the mount had) and it needed a bit of extra pressure.

Keith Oates

Janner
A battery should last more than 3 to 4 thousand miles if the bike is used regularly. I had the same thing last night and it was the contacts, as others have mentioned. Annoying though 'innit'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Keith Oates said:
A battery should last more than 3 to 4 thousand miles if the bike is used regularly. I had the same thing last night and it was the contacts, as others have mentioned. Annoying though 'innit'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Particularly as I'm sure that I'm averaging over 30 mph on my commute now. ;)

Christopher

Über Member
+1 for the contacts. I have to clean mine frequently as they corrode readily

Surely if it was the battery you'd just have a blank screen?

Have you taken the computer off its mount, Patrick? Are the contacts green or clear?

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Frustruck said:
+1 for the contacts. I have to clean mine frequently as they corrode readily

Surely if it was the battery you'd just have a blank screen?

Have you taken the computer off its mount, Patrick? Are the contacts green or clear?

The contacts are nice and clean.

wasi

A tip I have from another forum is to insert the battery the wrong way around for a few seconds to reverse the flow of the little electrons. It sounds strange but worked for my Avocet, which displayed the same symptoms.

I say Patrick, you seem to have got lost. And you're talking about cycling of all things! Shall I get one of the nurses to take you back to the Cafe? If you're a good boy I'll send Arch round with some Horlicks and a book of Ripping Bedtime Stories For Big Boys.

Top Bottom