Cycle Experience for Drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
There's a petition here I think needs signing: Require people to have Bikeability Level 2 to take a driving test

It's not ideal, even level 3 is a poor substitute for hundreds of miles experience riding in busy traffic, but it's a start, and better than nothing.

(This needs to go in the campaigns section, I thought there was one until I tried looking for it.)
Here https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/advocacy-cycling-safety.18/

Interesting - what would you do with people who have been driving for years?

or would it just be for new drivers?

personally I would not mind doing a "cycling for drivers' course

but I can just imagine the letters page in 'those papers' if every driver was 'forced' to do a cycling course
(although I would promote the idea - partly just to see the outrage!! - I am a bad person:laugh::laugh:)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Interesting - what would you do with people who have been driving for years?

or would it just be for new drivers?

personally I would not mind doing a "cycling for drivers' course

but I can just imagine the letters page in 'those papers' if every driver was 'forced' to do a cycling course
(although I would promote the idea - partly just to see the outrage!! - I am a bad person:laugh::laugh:)

I'd force them to go Mountain Biking. Not for the feint hearted.

That's a good idea but could be widened out a bit. Bikeability for all. But also driving for cyclists, hgv/psv for cyclists and car drivers. Pedestrians get awareness in everything too. The more we are all aware of each other the better for all!

Also, make mountain bikers spend an hour trail repair before being allowed to ride offroad! Especially emtb riders and novices of any kind. It's all a matter of awareness and understanding of your impact and effect on others.

The there's mobile phone use by anyone. If you're moving then you need to be aware not using your phone. Doesn't matter if you're driving, cycling or walking. More awareness all round!

Since they’d be retaking their test, they’ve already messed up big time. A bit of Bikeability before they retest wouldn’t be a bad thing.
So - only if they have been forced to re-take??

I was thinking of forcing everyone to take it unless they have a medical reasons saying they cannot ride a bike

and being a daily fail reader wouldn't count

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That is one piece of proposed legislation that has zero chance of seeing the light of day. If it did I doubt it would make the slightest bit of difference, most cyclists I have known also drive and they are no better or worse than the average motorist. And the RLJs and abusive cyclists are pretty much the same when they are behind the wheel of a car.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
All very well in theory but not everyone can cycle on 2 wheels for a variety of reasons. I now have a trike as I cannot manage to get on or off a bike without probably falling over and my balance has also gone.
Three wheels requires a different kind of awareness.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
How many cyclists have Bikeability qualifications? Before forcing things on motorists. Maybe we should put our own house in order first.

You are suggesting that drivers become more qualified than most cyclists.

Top Bottom